SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:17 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Discussion
So passes a good friend. What's the lamest way you ever lost a plane?

I lost my greatplanes 40 size cap 232 to interference tonight. I'm way bummed

I took off and everything looked beautiful as it flew into the sunset... after adjusting a little aileron trim I decided I was going to do a nice big loop. As the plane went vertical it suddenly spun out of the climb to the right. I thought... well that was weird. I had control again though so I brought the plane around toward me and tried to climb again with the same result, but this time the spin didn't stop no matter the input from me. I killed the throttle and watched her slam into the ground. Was really sad.

The amazing thing is that it actually landed belly first and didn't do too much damage to the wing. Fuse is busted in half and one elevator tore off. I may actually be able to rebuild.

What's the worst crash you ever had?

-Nate
3DNater is online now Find More Posts by 3DNater
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:48 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,366 Posts
Well, I have had many over the many years.
lets see.... Oh yeah, I had bought a OS 25FSR and put it on my little low wing plane to replace the anemic baffle engine that was on it. man it flew great then, lots of power to do stuff. On the fifth flight of the day, the wings folded and it lawn darted in hard, destroying the new engine. Bummer.
Then there was a mid air when I was flying my Top Flight P47 plane. That hurt.
One day I was the only one at the flying field using a 72mhz radio, I had the frequency pin. Another guy pulled up and got his stuff out and sure enough, he shot me down, as he was on the same channel. He denied he did it though. I was pissed.
Then there was the time I had just finished building a Royal Hayabusa .60 kit. I must have checked it out a hundred times. Somehow I still managed to get the ailerons on backwards. Obviously the maiden flight was very short lived.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:49 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,729 Posts
The worst Ive had was my hog bipe that I lost control of due to what now appears to be a bad tx batt. Lost the throttle first then everything started to slow down on reaction time, then nothing, hit the power lines at the end of my field with the gear and sent her into the ground nose first. It put the engine in the cockpit.

just wondering though, you said this happened on the climb twice, and then one of the elevators tore off. Im wondering if it wasnt a problem with the elevator the whole time.if the right side wasnt working properly, looks like it would shift you to the right as only the left was controling the lift. Just a thought. I had a dura-plane that every time I would give it elevetor control it would send the tail left or right depending on trying to go up or down. after inspecting a little closer, the horizontal stab had loosened up a bit and cocked to one side. Wonder if your situation might be the same. good luck
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:04 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
I guess thats possible... but it was a pretty fast roll.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:22 PM
Lawn Dart Professional
USA, AR, Stuttgart
Joined Jul 2010
1,729 Posts
The reason im looking into something other than interference is it seems like it repeated the problem while doing the same manuver. I just feel its a little coincidental for interference to only hit like that. every instance Ive had, the plane would be so out of it and would go every which way. like I said, just a thought. in no way am I an expert. Actually rather new. But to me sounds like something else happened.
abaser is online now Find More Posts by abaser
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:38 PM
Jupiter Fl
Joined Mar 2010
562 Posts
When I was first learning to fly, I hit the usual things with my SuperCub...Light poles, those trees that seem to just reach out and grab you, Bleachers?? etc. But all of those were just normal crashes.

My first severe crash was with the foam PZ Gunfighter. I was at the local flying club and the only one in the air at the time (about 5 other guys were under the canopy)....The p-51 has the Power 10 so it does these great verticals...Well, I'm flying straight up, loops that are too tight, spinning all over the place, then I put it into this crazy fast loop and

It lawn darts nose first into the asphalt runway...The plane exploded (well not flames and stuff, But a Foam explosion). The guys under the canopy who I hang out with were like Wow, thats about as hard as you can Land a plane...

Needless to say, this one went beyond glue..hahahaha...The PZ elevator servo had stripped...The great thing was the Power 10 motor somehow survived..the metal spinner was chewed in half, but the motor is still running in a new airframe...

I learned a lot from that landing , and have since stopped flying so out of control. I haven't crashed since...knock on wood
gsnewflyer is offline Find More Posts by gsnewflyer
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:08 AM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaser View Post
The reason im looking into something other than interference is it seems like it repeated the problem while doing the same manuver. I just feel its a little coincidental for interference to only hit like that. every instance Ive had, the plane would be so out of it and would go every which way. like I said, just a thought. in no way am I an expert. Actually rather new. But to me sounds like something else happened.
I watched another pilot experience the exact same reaction to his plane about a week and a half ago... with the same result. I had been flying earlier that day for a couple tanks of fuel with no problems, but his plane was a pile of sticks at the end of it.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:47 AM
Expo is built into my thumbs
USA, ID, Niter
Joined Jul 2008
4,489 Posts
In ten years of flying I have never totaled a plane from a single crash. Several have been retired from cumulative damage though. My single worst crash was hitting a parked school bus. Busted firewall was the only damage though.
Hance is offline Find More Posts by Hance
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:45 PM
"Chuck Yeager"
Bradenton FL
Joined Apr 2010
842 Posts
This was my worst. It was a used plane and the wood around where the wing bolts go through were fuel soaked of course I did not know this till after the crash. any way I was doing an Inverted WOT pass 10ft over the runway when the wing seperated and fell to the deck the plane made a big hole a couple hundred yards past the end of the runway!

It was the coolest and fastest lawn dart I ever saw

hotdog1 is offline Find More Posts by hotdog1
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:15 PM
Joined Dec 2007
533 Posts
Let's see. I was tuning my engine waiting for the instructor to arrive and just tacked the wing on my Sr. Kadet on with a couple of rubber bands.

He arrived and we took off, with two rubber bands. Wing floated down like a leaf and did fine. The birdcage on the back of the fuse turned to match sticks. Amazingly my instructor regained enough elevator control to get it to pancake in instead of nose in.

Repaired it though and have been flying it 20+ years without any more damage. And I count the rubber each time before I taxi. ;-)

Tom
noveldoc is offline Find More Posts by noveldoc
Old Sep 11, 2010, 07:53 PM
Near Andover, Southern England
Joined Apr 2008
183 Posts
Lamest way! Well, a simple flyaway. Back around early 1980's I'd built a 6 foot R/E powered glider from an Aeromodeller plan. Small Cox 0.049 screaming away an a pylon and a 1 0z tin tank. Flew her a bit late one lazy afternoon, the light just starting to fail. The little engine just sipped fuel giving a sedate 10 min climb. Now, whether, there was some late afternoon lift up there I don't know, but the little glider just got smaller and smaller during that 10 mins. Eventually I realised that I just couldn't make out that tiny speck in the sky any longer and although she was - in theory - overhead somewhere, she was effectively gone. I just made a sigh, resigned to my loss, collapsed the tx aeriel and trudged the mile back across the fields home. A few days later, I heard through the grapevine that she'd been found about 7 miles away! smashed up and doubless ravaged by kids. A lame loss indeed. I've always said since that if another flew off too far to control back to me I'd rather spiral her in - at least that way I might get the gear back.
As it happens I very nearly lost my 36" mini Red zephyr this week. I was letting a novice guy get a little stick time on her. It was a bit breezy so penetration was minimal and as he was doing well I let my concentration wander for a couple of minutes - when I remembered to check up on where my plane had got to, she was just a dissappearing speck downwind :0. Thankfully I kept calm and did a gentle turn, then just had to hold my nerve as the tiny speck got oh so very painfully slowly larger. After a couple of minute I could just makeout the wing dihedral shape and soon after that she was safely back in the normal fly zone - phew!

Oh. One more. Not actually mine this time, but a flying buddy back in the day. Remember years ago there was a club 'fad' i guess you'd call it, for building ludicrously fast 'club 20' pylon racers. Now, these screaming beasts were around 40 inch span with the 'Ferrari' of the day 0.20 or 0.25 hot engines and 7 inch high pitch props - really hustled along. On this occaision he simply forgot to turn the plane on, did a perfect straight n'level hand launch too. The plane went like an olympic javelin - straight, true, head height and VERY fast. It vanished in like 4 seconds! We think it went into some large bushes in the far distance, but we never found it........
Rick. is offline Find More Posts by Rick.
Last edited by Rick.; Sep 11, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:00 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,366 Posts
rick_rotorhead, I know a couple of people who launched their gliders off, and forgot to turn on the radio in the plane. All one could do is watch it fly off into the sky.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:17 AM
Plane crazy
USA, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Jul 2010
153 Posts
Ha. One of my first trainers was an eaglet 50. GREAT little high wing trainer. I was young, like 11 or 12 and we didn't have a buddy box yet. Flew it into some trees WWWAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY out at the end of the field. OOps.

My brother had decided to try out pylon racing. His first Quickie 500 had a hopped up Nelson on it. second or third flight in, he flew it right in between himself and the sun... He overdid the aileron on a turn, pulled up and drove it straight into the ground at full throttle. Not much left but a crater....

Still the funniest wasn't my crash at all. Supposedly interference caused it dont even know what model it was, mostly because I was inside the port-o-potty at the time. Imagine my surprise when an airplane crashed into the fiberglass house while im taking a deuce. All i heard was a bunch of yelling then RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR THUDWHACK..... the right wind hit the side of the porto and spun the fuse into the back of it. I came stumbling out of the thing with my pants around my ankles cussing up a storm. I suppose i'm pretty lucky it didnt hit straight on but.... Good story anyhow..
ISPYFROMABOVE is offline Find More Posts by ISPYFROMABOVE
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:09 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brathanke View Post
I lost my greatplanes 40 size cap 232 to interference tonight. I'm way bummed

I took off and everything looked beautiful as it flew into the sunset... after adjusting a little aileron trim I decided I was going to do a nice big loop. As the plane went vertical it suddenly spun out of the climb to the right. I thought... well that was weird. I had control again though so I brought the plane around toward me and tried to climb again with the same result, but this time the spin didn't stop no matter the input from me. I killed the throttle and watched her slam into the ground. Was really sad.

The amazing thing is that it actually landed belly first and didn't do too much damage to the wing. Fuse is busted in half and one elevator tore off. I may actually be able to rebuild.

What's the worst crash you ever had?

-Nate
I have a GreatPlanes Extra300 .40... I broke it in half and fixed it. It did break very cleanly though...

I think most of the aerobats similar to Caps, and Extras will break just behind the cockpit... that's the narrow/thinnest part of the fuselage... of course it has to hit pretty flat on the ground.. pancake is the word.. and that's just what mine did.. and it broke just behind the cockpit.

I didn't know if I was going to fix it either.. but it was my second Extra already.... built from a kit.. The first one was just a total... flutter took the hor./vert.stabs and folded them back..in a nano-second.. so that one was toast.. but after building the second one..and the damage being what it was...

I just cut the covering out of the affected areas.. and studied it for a while... I ended up peicing it back together with a few carefully made crutches, and a bit of fiberglass.. some of it was difficult to get too.. but it ended up being totally unnoticable, and I'm sure stronger then it was previously..... I don't know if that's a good thing... they should "break-away" to some degree... because in the event of a mishap.. with inertia and weight... something will give... and you don't want it to be hard to fix, or to take out major structure.

I just fixed the landing gear on my Hanger9 Edge, due to a dead-stick in the field.. the plane would have landed fine...but the gear caught a root and rough patch.. it tore the gear out cleanly.. basically just the landing-gear plate.... I'm hoping now I didn't overbuild that area... if it happened again, I want it to break the same way.. and NOT take out the whole firewall area..

Get some pics up here if you can... I'm kind of curious to see how your plane broke compared to mine.. In any case.. just study it for a bit before deciding to fix or not... alot of fixes aren't bad at all once you get to the root of the problem...
DGrant is online now Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Sep 12, 2010, 05:36 PM
3d NOOBular
USA, UT, St George
Joined Aug 2010
8,144 Posts
I am planning to fix the plane. It is broken right behind the cockpit as you said. The hardest part of the repairs will be building and replacing the firewall along with a couple other parts that got mashed up in the front (it landed on its belly on asphalt and skidded into the curb nose first at probably around 35 mph). The other difficult thing is that the pitts muffler is broken up pretty good. Miraculously the motor shaft took no damage and the prop is still intact. Do you guys think some JV weld would work to fix the muffler?