SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2001, 08:21 PM
zen pilot
milwaukee WI USA
Joined Jun 2000
159 Posts
lost my plane today

our feild is surounded by a very large swamp and i of course lost my zagi in it after ejecting the battery pack. i spent about two hours shloging around in 7foot tall weeds to no avail man am i bummed out. and to top it off , earlier i put a 8 cell 600 mah pack in it and forgot to check the c g and you guessed it, it was tail heavy the ensueing wild flight went right over the parking lot . luck was with me then and i was able to get the plane back over the feild and land it sort of without hurting any thing but my pride . stupid i know. but did i have to lose my best plane?
bronco is offline Find More Posts by bronco
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:04 PM
Napoleon, Ohio
Joined Dec 1996
727 Posts
Yup, real bummer!

It's amazing the things we forget to check when the thrill of flying is all we see.

Maybe you could get one of those guys with the video cam onboard to do a S&R?

Keep 'em hummin'

Ray
Ray Lowinski is offline Find More Posts by Ray Lowinski
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:07 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Keep looking, I found mine after a week and a half. It was in the last part of the field that I looked in. Good luck!!--Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:28 PM
Texas
Joined Aug 1999
5,110 Posts
Isn't it funny that you always find your lost "something" in the last place you look...

I wouldn’t get too down. You wouldn’t believe the number of times somebody has lost a plane, only to be discovered later and in fairly good shape. I’m sure that some day soon somebody will be stomping around out there and find your Zagi. If the Zagi can survive being run over by a car, lit on fire with lighter fluid and matches, and multiple impacts with football goal posts, I’m sure it can survive in the swamp too.

Either that, or in a million years long after that swap becomes a bog and then a bed of peat, a roach archeologist will under earth your Zagi and it will be the greatest discovery in Roachtopian history.

What do you think that they will think that it is?
dave_lilley is offline Find More Posts by dave_lilley
Old Jun 25, 2001, 09:43 PM
EFlight=Fun,Big-T=BIG FUN
San Antonio, TX, USA
Joined Jan 2001
964 Posts
Hang in there!
I lost my Zagi across the highway into a heavily wooden area.
There was constructon moving in (a new mall - this field's days are numbered) so I posted a copy of the Zagi ad with phone number and REWARD$ on the construction trailer after my second trip thru the woods.
30 days later "We found you plane, come get it in the morning"
I paid the $, Zagi was undamaged, I stuck a fresh batt in him and buzzed the parking lot.
Took him to the club meeting that night and pointed out the label with name and phone number - The construction super said they lost the note.

bjsiegel@texas.net is offline Find More Posts by bjsiegel@texas.net
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:49 PM
Motors beat engines!
Milwaukee Wisconsin, United States
Joined Feb 2001
4,564 Posts
I fly at this field too, and he's not kidding about the swamp. I helped a guy look for his zagi that I coulda sworn was not far off from the edge and painted yellow. It took three of us over 10 minutes to find it.

I intentionally try to stay close to the grassed area for just this reason.
DeaninMilwaukee is offline Find More Posts by DeaninMilwaukee
Old Jun 25, 2001, 10:52 PM
RPV builder & operator
Canada, QC, Gatineau
Joined Jan 2001
2,303 Posts
After nearly loosing one in the woods behind my place a while ago, I built a buzzer circuit which goes on channel 4. When I switch the Tx off, baby cries for his daddy. Of course, the battery needs to be still hooked up, but it came in handy again today when I ditch it in three foot tall weeds.
http://www3.sympatico.ca/alr25/anglais/electronics.html
Pierre Audette is offline Find More Posts by Pierre Audette
Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:09 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Take heart..
I lost $750 of glider and motor a month or so ago. Stab failure at 700'+ and the wing came off, fuse only went in at probably close to terminal velocity. F7LMR, L160C, 7x1700RC, 555, 4x600AE, 3xHS81, 14x9.5CAM, and a nice 80" airframe. You can't even get into the woods back there, let alone expect to find what's left of a 3' white lawn (woods?) dart..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:14 AM
Grand Prairie, Texas, USA
Joined Mar 2000
829 Posts
Andy - Did you recover the wing? Something is better than nothing!

Philipp is offline Find More Posts by Philipp
Old Jun 26, 2001, 04:23 PM
zen pilot
milwaukee WI USA
Joined Jun 2000
159 Posts
thanks guys , maybe there IS still hope.I plan on mounting an expedition this friday morning if any of you would like to volunteer. beer and sandwiches are on me, but i have to warn you, some of you may not come back... but just keep in mind that poor zagi out there all by its self cold and wet just waiting for someone to help it. wait .. hold on a sec.. aw crud im starting to tear up....

[This message has been edited by bronco (edited 06-26-2001).]
bronco is offline Find More Posts by bronco
Old Jun 26, 2001, 04:36 PM
Ready for a Vacation!
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2000
383 Posts
I was there when Andy's plane broke apart, I was timing for him. The only things that came back were the two v-tail sections that failed. Both wings went deep into the forest and the fuselage probably shattered into a million pieces.
Andrew
AndrewK is offline Find More Posts by AndrewK
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:23 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Just last week end my dear dear wife had a great laugh when I flew my T52 into the tree branches 30 ft overhead. I left her waiting there in case it fell off, and got a bunch of twine, a square 1/2 lb metal block, and a 15 ft. electrical conduit. At first I tried to snag the plane but thought better not to ding it. Instead, I threw the weight just a little higher up the branch and let it slowly slide down. Then I caught both ends of the thread and tugged downward till the boughs came low enough to within reach of a few pokes with the conduit pipe, and my T52 was recovered!

Continued to fly at a safe distance
rkrishnan is offline Find More Posts by rkrishnan
Old Jun 26, 2001, 05:42 PM
tic
thunderscreech
New Cumberland, PA. US
Joined Dec 2000
10,936 Posts
Isn't it amazing how people always think it's "funny" when you crash or lose your plane???... I try and keep it light and brush it off, but I know, if it were THEIR plane, some of these people would be cussing up a storm and quite angry at anyone who would dare to laugh. Maybe it's because they don't know the $$$ invested? or the time??? .. I know I have neither invested in my skyscooter, but I lost my first plane, a firebird, and it sucked, had to grin and bear it while everyone laughed.
tic is offline Find More Posts by tic
Old Jun 26, 2001, 10:01 PM
Wilmington Oh 45177
Joined Nov 1999
885 Posts
Welcome to the club.....
shelby is offline Find More Posts by shelby
Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:39 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,160 Posts
After a tree crash in the vicinity of some moms and kids, a mom came over and told me her son was so thrilled that the plane crashed. Oh well, someone was happy about it The good news was that they were able to point me right to the area where it was hung up. I now put my phone # on the side of all my planes, just in case.
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy