HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:29 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Build Log
WOODIE scratch build

I started this on the new woodie thread but that was the wrong thing to do. So now I'll do it right and start the build here with a link to the Woodie thread. I don't have a name for this model yet but it will be modeled after the yacht Mariner lll since that yacht is about the same size as the hull plan I drew. Ya I know I did that backwards but that's the way I did it.
The scale will be 1/4" == 1 foot.The Mariner lll is 122 feet long and 20 feet wide. My boat will be 120 feet(scale) x 18 feet. The model will be 30" long.
I have seen several nice looking yachts on the Woodie thread so my model will be a composite of some of them using features on the superstructure that I like and that will fit with a 20's style yacht.
First off is a picture of the Mariner lll and then one of the original drawing of the hull plan. After that will come the elevation of the hull and then the frames. That will get things started here. Sooooooo here we go. Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:36 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
These are the pics of the hull elevation,deck plan and the frame drawings. There are 24 frames so not all are shown and the ones you see here are not to their final shape yet. Bilge curves ect. are yet to be drawn but this is the next step in making some basic drawings to work from. I always like to use graph paper because you can use any scale on it and it's easy to measure on.It comes in a lot of different sizes but I'm using 8.5x11 because it's what I have.It takes three pages to draw this boat to scale. Pete
THIS DESIGN HAS BEEN CHANGED. SEE PAGE TWO. PETE
Last edited by norgale; Sep 19, 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:20 PM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,101 Posts
Another interesting project you have going Pete.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Thanks Charlie. Had to take a couple days off for work and Mom is in the hospital for some tests (nothing serious) so I am losing some build time until she gets home. However I will proceed as fast as I can with the plans.
Cinder is giving me the woof treatment so have to go take her for a walk. Later pete
Old Sep 12, 2010, 01:09 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Pete, you have got to see the website http://www.shipbuildinghistory.com/h...ive/nyyl&e.htm
I've been looking for info on the company that built the beautiful old wooden yacht Shoreleave. Well I found a site that is trying to list all the yachts built by the New York Launch and Engine Co. I havent Google Imaged all the yachts listed, but it looks like a treasure trove of beautiful old woodies. Check out the Olympus, it has a great fantail!!
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:38 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
Great site for subchasers but I couldn't get any pics to come up when I clicked on the boat. Did get the Olympus and she is grand for sure. Thanks for the link. Pete
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:39 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
After you have your frames all drawn out make copies of your originals to cut up and keep the originals intact to make changes if necessary.
I'm using some cereal boxes to make my patterns. Don't worry about the flare on the sides or the rounded bilges for now. That can be done later. Right now I'm just interested in getting an idea of how the hull will look and how it will be built. Pete
Old Sep 13, 2010, 05:40 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,863 Posts
I discovered cereal boxes for patterns recently also. Good stuff for cheap.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 13, 2010, 06:49 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
I don't thnik I would use this cardboard for any structural pieces on a boat but what the heck, we throw it away anyway so any of it we can use will be good.
Here's how I'm using it. The frames are being glued into place on the cardboard keel. It's not real sturdy but it will give me a sneak preview of what I'm building.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 08:04 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
I now have the rest of the frames on the keel. The whole form is wiggley and uneven as it sits but i can still see what I need to see and I'm not sure I like it. Somehow the proportions don't look right to me so I'll have to think about this for awhile. At least I havn't wasted any wood yet so that's a good thing.
Any comments or ideas are welcome. Pete
Old Sep 14, 2010, 08:05 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
So I thought about it for a couple of days and the biggest thing I don't like about this model is that it's too small. The overall lines are ok and the proportion of length to width to depth is ok but it's just not big enough.
BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD. PETE
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:11 PM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,850 Posts
That's a big ship to scale down to 30 inches. What length are you thinking about.

The boat I want to build is a 43 ft; I was thinking about making it 36 inches.

Ed
Ed Crowell is online now Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:48 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,863 Posts
Make it 41" long Pete. That would be 1/35 scale. That way you could use all the various plastic 1/35 kit accessories.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:12 AM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,717 Posts
So I stretched it out a lot and made it wider and deeper. She'll be 47 inches by 5 inches but not sure about the depth yet. Have to work on the elevation today aand see what she needs.
I don't know what scale 47" will be but it's pretty close to 1:35 right?I never can remember how to figure that. Anyway I'll have to do the frames over but there will still be 24. I just lengthened the distance between them to make it longer. I can do the superstructure in 1:35 as it will be customized anyway so it won't have to match anything. Then the rivet counters can't get me. Pete
Old Sep 15, 2010, 12:13 PM
Grumpa Tom
Joined Sep 2003
23,863 Posts
47" long will be 1/30.6 scale, or rounded up 1/31 scale. That's close enough to 1/32 scale which also is a popular size for plastic models. "G" scale in railroad terms is anywhere from 1/24 to 1/32 I have read. I am sure there will be some accessories you will find that might be suitable for your build.