Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
Date : 27 Dec 2011
Pilot : Andrew von Berky
Plane : Scratcho (homebrew)
Speed : 175mph
Witness : Anthony Flood
Gun : AvB's Prospeed

Didn't get video of the Scratcho but this video has some good footage of the Stratos DS:
Bandicoot Change of Wind 27Dec2011 (11 min 3 sec)
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Dec 28, 2011 at 05:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2011, 06:53 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,586 Posts
Pilot : Josh Callaghan
Plane : Nimrod (homebrew)
Speed : 148mph
Witness : Damien O'niell
Gun : Prospeed

Pilot : Josh Callaghan
Plane : D60
Speed : 168mph
Witness : Damien O'niell
No ballast, 3.5oz in tips..... need balast now! I snapped the wing spar in two places last time out and this was the re-maiden. Went like new and Im glad to have it back!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 30, 2011, 07:10 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
Date : 30 Dec 2011
Pilot : David Vels
Plane : Larrikin (own-design F3B 3m ship)
Speed : 157mph
Witness : Bernd Gorenflo
Note: this was Dave's first EVER attempt at DS and he was impressive. Pushed the plane very close to its structural limits!

Date : 30 Dec 2011
Pilot : Evan Bengtson
Plane : Sniper (Qld team design F3B 3m ship)
Speed : 122mph
Note: This was only the second time Evan has attempted DS - the first time was at Cactus a few months ago.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
Yesterday was a landmark day at Bandicoot for several reasons: firstly, we had a couple of distinguished represenatives of the "white hat brigade" - Dave and Evan, (thermal/ F3B comp pilots and MRSSA members) come up for some learner -DS, and it was very successful. They both flew homedesigned F3B 3 metre ships ... Dave flew his own Larrikin (hence his RCG name) and Evan flew the beautiful Sniper ... the product of a big R&D project by the Qld "Sniper team". It's still the only one in existence. They got 157 and 122 mph respectively!

Yesterday was also a huge revelation because we discovered that on the days we've skipped Bandicoot because of strong southesters - in fact it was great sloping and DS conditions out there! Yesterday, and last Tuesday, it was SSE on the coast, but we flew in beautiful lift on the ridge which faces NNE. We are so lucky to have discovered this and it's a big deal. We have always assumed that SE's were no good out there. Our most regular good winds are SE's, so it means we have a great flying/ DS spot in those conditions.

It was truly a classic fun blokes-out-sloping afternoon, as you'll see in the video! Lots of smiles, frontside fun and carving it up DSing in moderate, but smooth conditions.

Larrikins at Bandicoot Ridge 30Dec2011 (16 min 14 sec)
Last edited by AvB; Dec 30, 2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 07:58 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
Date : 01 Jan 2012
Pilot : Kevin Bennett
Plane : Windburner
Speed : 110mph
Old Jan 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
For you Northern hemisphere types I'll keep your slope soaring glands working with yet another evocative video of classic slope/DS fun here in Queensland.

Kev was keen to fly at Bandicoot yesterday, despite the 2 1/4 hr drive. Bernd and I somehow got approval from our wives, and we met up for a lovely arvo of slope and DSing till well after sunset.

We all felt tired from the Christmas crazy week, slope expeditions, building planes (of course) and then the New Years' stay-up -and-see the-fireworks thing ... so I'd decided to have a break from video editing. But while we were there Kev grabbed the video camera and shot some footage - so the camera was out! Naturally once I took a look at the vid I loved it and started hacking up a new project. It's fun.

We didn't realize but the camera had been switched off its auto-intelligent setting - as well as being on manual focus the colour saturation was strange. I've tweaked the colour to improve it but you'll notice the difference from the previous one.

Unfortunately I was slack and didn't think to grab the camera when Kev was DSing his Windburners. Sorry Kev! It was a good learner DS day. His light Burner was getting blown around and he did a lot better when he got out a more solid one.

Kev got 110mph with the heavier Windburner and I only got 140mph with the Scratcho. The frontside is beautiful and the DS is mostly smooth but there's not as much power as in the westerlies.

I was really dopey and did various klutzy landings with the SC2 and the Scratchos today, including one Ninja star where I held aileron too long and it went into a flat spin and wouldn't recover ... it nose darted into the backside but was straight back in the air. One hover-on the ridge landing the SC2 went too far over the back and it went back over the hill and thru the fence. Later with the lighter SCratcho I was trying to learn some acro DS and had a brain snap and went fast into the top of the ridge ... picked it up, dusted it off and it was back in the air! I am so totally impressed with these tough homebrew moldies. Matter of fact, the worst damage today was to the Bee which Bernd was learning on .. it went off line, plummetting down and tearing the wing open ... that's where the video ends. It must have been a big hit because that wing has survived beatings for years now. We taped up the damage, checked and then found that it didn't range check more than 2 metres! It turned out to have a broken receiver aerial connection. So after some hacking and wire twisting I put a big spare IPD receiver in there.

Anyway in the fiddling I managed to switch the Stratos on for a couple of seconds while it was on the same frequency as Bernd flying the Bee and it overreached and burnt out a Volz aileron servo! Bummer!

But you'll hear no complaining in this video ... just lots of laughter, because a bunch of guys flying slope like this is so much fun. Hard to tear yourself away. We stayed on top well after dark just chatting and listening to the cicadas and looking at the view. Beautiful. We wished we were camping on top for the night.
We're very blessed to have such nice weather lately and a great site!

Bandicoot Ridge New Years Day 2012 (8 min 35 sec)
Old Jan 01, 2012, 10:06 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,704 Posts
This is worth watching - check it out in full screen HD:

Jeb Corliss " Grinding The Crack" (3 min 30 sec)
Old Jan 02, 2012, 03:26 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,913 Posts
Date: 30 Dec 2011

Pilot : Roger Meagher
Plane : Opus MCT
Speed : 208 mph
Witness : Josh Callaghan

Pilot : Roger Meagher
Plane : D60 (Gyro stabilised)
Speed : 203 mph
Witness : Josh Callaghan
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Jan 02, 2012, 04:33 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,734 Posts
Not sure if it is worth posting this or putting on RC Speeds either, but these are the first officially taken speeds from this site in over 4 odd years!!!! More posting for interests sake. Vid coming...

Pilot: Carl Sheppard
Reaper 60
Sugarloaf
127mph
2nd Jan 2012

Alex Hewson
Dynamic 60
Sugarloaf
206mph
2nd Jan 2012
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 05:16 AM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,734 Posts
THis will be the Vid when it has finished uploading:

I'm going to sleep and will let it continue (HD takes a while)

Sugarloaf DS, Jan 2nd (5 min 0 sec)
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 02, 2012, 12:14 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
This is worth watching - check it out in full screen HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k
wow, i want to do that!

insane

Sorry I haven't added speeds for awhile I'll catch up soon

Chris

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Jan 02, 2012, 09:53 PM
In Foam We Trust
United States, CA, Ventura County
Joined Sep 2008
2,797 Posts
Parker 1/2/2012

Flew alone at Parker today. Wind was due East at 22-25mph and exceptionally smooth both front and back. Weather was sunny and warm (January!), a postcard day.

Later in the afternoon, Mark from Bakersfield came up and flew Parker for the first time. Mark is an excellent pilot and easily adapted to the groove. We flew until dark.

When I first got to the hill, a B2 bomber flew overhead (no photo). A nice surprise treat. At the end of the day, we had the most incredible sunset (see photo below). The sun decended behind the leading edge of a new Pacific frontal system just off the horizon and made for one of the most memorable sunsets ever.

No radar, speeds were around 40-50mph for the light foam we flew, maybe 80-100 for the Mako.
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Jan 05, 2012, 11:34 AM
Germany, BY, Weidenberg
Joined Apr 2011
70 Posts
new Europan Record

Hi
Patrick flown today with his Kinetic 394 mph at the schaufelbergegg i think.
and then his kinetic was destriod.

jochen
myschlot is offline Find More Posts by myschlot
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:31 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,230 Posts
Congrats to Patrick for raising the bar yet again
Darn I get bumped down the BIG Dog list a notch
Sorry about your plane
Patrick, yeah Fastest speed of 2012

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Jan 05, 2012, 04:23 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
920 Posts
Congratulations on your record Patrick, fantastic, but sad about your K100's demise.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman