HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2010, 10:52 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
A couple speeds from Pinetrees(Mcleods Shoot) yesterday.

30/10/2010

Astan Singh
NYX Furio 137mph

Kane Morley
Art Hobby Thermic 77mph

Gun Falcon radar
Witness Eric Smith
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2010, 07:18 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,433 Posts
Thats right an Art Hobby 2.5m Thermic LOL... Anyone can go fast, but getting it back in one piece is the key Should be a new criteria of lightest / weakest planes and fastest speeds.... ?
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: new plane
Old Oct 31, 2010, 11:06 PM
Is it DS'able?
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Carrizo Gorge, October 30th 2010

The James' made another trip up to Carrizo Gorge in San Diego this Saturday. After waiting in the clouds for a few hours it cleared up and the wind was still blowing ~25mph.

Pilot: Mueller
Plane: D80, 200oz
Speed: 204mph
Witness: Duarte

Pilot: Duarte
Plane: Compact Wizard V
Speed: 153mph
Witness: Mueller

Pilot: Duarte
Plane: D40
Speed: 147mph
Witness: Mueller

Stalker radar

-James
still looking for a spot to land
wr_mizzard is online now Find More Posts by wr_mizzard
Old Nov 03, 2010, 11:23 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Bill Cox, Joe Manor, Bruce Tebo and I went searching the Corona Mountains for some new areas.

Joe told us about a place called Heaven. Although we didn’t get good air, we will and what an awesome place it is.... Thanks Joe for showing us this future fast spot.

Bruce Tebo, NYX, 95 MPH, Joe Manor
Joe Manor, NYX, 95 MPH, Bruce Tebo
Chris Bosley, NYX, 95 MPH, Joe Manor

Bill and Joe

Smooth Grassy landing areas

Heaven has a huge Deep Deep Back side wiht lots of room and Bruce was happy to show get the NYX going.

We checked out many more sites up there...

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Nov 03, 2010, 12:20 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,153 Posts
Heaven -- aptly named for the best LZ I've seen in So-cal besides Grass Mtn! Looks like a great spot!
KurtMc is offline Find More Posts by KurtMc
Old Nov 03, 2010, 02:28 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtMc View Post
Heaven -- aptly named for the best LZ I've seen in So-cal besides Grass Mtn! Looks like a great spot!
I du Know? I think it has a better landing area specially for heavy planes. You can fly straight in no last minute turning to face the wind. In a big Santa Ana Blow it may have MUCH, MUCH more and even smoother lift, better views and so much more. A 360” view of most of Southern California the Pacific on one side and the Inland Empire on the other, San Diego to the South and LA and Palos Verdes to the North! We Spotted Santa Catalina, San Clemente and even Santa Barbra Islands! Even has an Oak shade tree! Absolutely incredible! We only had 8-11mph winds and we could speck the NYX's out, pretty heavy NYX's at that, mine at 120oz and Bruce's at 130oz for only a 112” wing span in such light conditions.

Has to be a little bad news it’s a little hard to get too… That could be good in some ways!

We all said we’re going back so there should be more reports to come!
Old Nov 03, 2010, 04:21 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,232 Posts
WOW great find guys , looks like it in australia i didn't know you had grass LZ over there..... bring on some wind..

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:04 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezza View Post
A couple speeds from Pinetrees(Mcleods Shoot) yesterday.

30/10/2010

Astan Singh
NYX Furio 137mph

Kane Morley
Art Hobby Thermic 77mph

Gun Falcon radar
Witness Eric Smith
Is this the thermic http://www.arthobby.com/index.php?pa...ry=32&item=223
Old Nov 06, 2010, 11:19 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineDSacro View Post
Thats right an Art Hobby 2.5m Thermic LOL... Anyone can go fast, but getting it back in one piece is the key Should be a new criteria of lightest / weakest planes and fastest speeds.... ?
Oh thanks got it.... Thermic has been added and that's the airframe record...
Old Nov 06, 2010, 12:51 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Had the computer run the FULL LIST so it's updated...
Old Nov 09, 2010, 10:17 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Weldon Nov, 8th 2010

Mike Dantonio (LV Sloper)
D60 157mph Chris Bosley Falcon
Sloper/Mach Dart 171mph Spencer Lisenby

Other witnesses Bill Cox and Tim Williams

Nice day, winds variable from the high twenties to the mid forties. Top speeds were unmeasured but probably in the 280++ range measured 270's on a KineticHN100 HN. Spencer and I flew almost a whole battery on the old Kinetic 100 HN and she still fly's like a dream... Very cool old plane!

We spent some time on the rock wall and it's really starting to look good!!!
Old Nov 09, 2010, 12:22 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Did anyone find my iPhone headset? It fell out of my pocket up there yesterday. Thanks.

Sounds like you guys had another fun day up there.

Aaron
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Nov 09, 2010, 03:02 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
no Aaron didn't hear of anyone finding anything....

sorry
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:34 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,120 Posts
First successful Carbon plane DS trip!

I would like to first start off by sending out a big THANK YOU to Chris for helping me to dial in my new D60 (with out his help it probably would have been ugly). In the morning, Spencer helped with a false neutral elevator issue. The problem was a loose fitting control rod at the control horn and servo, fixed with thin CA and kicker. The plane was too nose heavy and I had trouble with the crow settings, both Chris and Spencer fix the issue while in flight. D60 issues were cleared up and the plane flew great, dropped in and turned some laps with some bad air. The D60 ended up being 55 oz. AUW and I was happy to turn a 157 mph lap. The Sloper flew great, again, some issues with landing spoilers. The Sloper was flown in smoother air than the D60 and has a AUW of 61 oz.. I turned in several laps in the 150 range; topping out at171 mph my PB The Sloper was really stable, although, I had a sloppy clevis which fluttered at 170; which was the signal to shut it down.

The bagged Skua (47") flew good on Sunday (111 mph,John Buxton, falcon, AUW 49 oz.), Mondays air was rough at times. The Skua was blown back in the morning and ended up falling on the only exposed flat rock on the hill side, the Skua bounced five feet in the air.(Epoxy and bondo time). This is my first attempt at bagging and it came out okay for EPP skinned with 1/32 balsa; carbon and kevlar. The 47" Skua was nose heavy and still felt less stable than my previous 59" taped Skua. I hope to clean it up and fly it again at Weldon, I think it could get into the 150-170 range.

I was really stoked to finally fly my carbon planes and finally witness in person a carbon DS plane doing over 250mph. I would also like to thank all the guys who were on the hill over the weekend; everyone was really nice and helpful. (Chris; Spencer; Jason L; Tim; John; Bruce; Bill L; Gary; Jason L & Aaron)
Hope to see you all again on the hill, and if anyone is coming to Vegas bring a JW or something foam for DS. I have atleast five flying sites; all wind directions covered.

Best, Mike
LVSloper is online now Find More Posts by LVSloper
Old Nov 09, 2010, 09:53 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,632 Posts
Mike,

It was great to finally meet you. I noticed your Skua had substantial amounts of kevlar at the leading edge. You must have those fabled 2-grit LZ's I keep hearing about! Best of luck keeping your D60 clean for your next trip down. Hopefully we will see some real wind this season and you can up your PB. I will be flying vicariously through all you guys so go get some big air!

Aaron
Aerogance is online now Find More Posts by Aerogance