Date: 12 Nov 2012
Site: Sugarloaf
Flyer: Rob Duff
Plane: Smack 60
Speed: 138mph
Gun: Falcon DS
Witness: Alex Hewson
Gyro/ DCS? No

Forgot speed of the Reaper R60, it was fastest speed of the day, but can't remember what it was
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Sep 2009
120 Posts
DS in the UAE (Dubai)

Way back on page 65, post #966 I said a temporary goodbye, since I was leaving the UK to live and work in Dubai. My wife and I have now settled into the place and I am loving my new job. There are people from all over the world here and it's great meeting so many different people.

Anyway, I have also been on a few DS recce's and I am pleased to say that I have had some success. No speeds to report yet because so far i've been on my own. It's not going to be a world class place to DS but at least I can do it here! I have made a couple of friends who are keen to see this DS thing and I will be sure to teach them how to use the Prospeed. Meantime, a couple of videos of some solo Dubai DS.

I think I am the only one here who DS'es so far. I have met a bunch of guys and been out to see them fly their very expensive jets, turbo props, turbine heli's etc. They know of guys who slope soar up the coast somewhere. They also know what DS is because they have probably seen some of your vids on YouTube but nobody (other than me) seems to do it. Well, since there is no substitute for DS, first I had to get a 4x4, do a desert driving course and then I just had to keep searching and trying:

First UAE DS, Dubai, 31 May 2012 (4 min 53 sec)

The video below was just last week. I found a slightly more user friendly place where I could land my D60 without smashing it on rocks. It slid a long way down the sand slope and it was a real bugger to fetch it. There is a small sandy area on the back where I managed to land my Mini Blade but I played it safe with the D60 and poked it down the front.

The rocky ridge in the first video took 20mins to scramble from the DS piloting position to the back where you had to commit to a backside landing. There was nowhere to emergency land if something went wrong. Not ideal. A bit scary standing on the narrow ridge too.

A Few UAE Laps (1 min 29 sec)
Hot Air is offline Find More Posts by Hot Air
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:38 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,099 Posts
Congrats Steven!
not that easy exploring DS spots with all that sand, I can imagine the amount of sand moving at 40km/h wind
I thing every DS manic had his "by your own" day at the hill, thinking what could happen, being afraid to throw things and hope they come back...
and after all that things you feel a winner in the end of the day!!

you're a truly hero!

Regards,
André
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Apr 2012
72 Posts
Great flying and great exploring!! Congrats on your DS adventure!!!
Tonyatrre is offline Find More Posts by Tonyatrre
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:32 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,424 Posts
Pioneer. ... That so cool
So many places in the world haven't been touch by ds... You just ticked one more box.. Cool

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Nov 12, 2012, 12:39 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
very cool steve...
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:54 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,321 Posts
Thats so cool! Ive always thought desert dunes looked like great shapes for ds. Great pioneering spirit!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
DS state of origin NSW Vs QLD
Joined Jul 2009
1,371 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to make that video Steve.
Loved every minute, Awesome. You just need to get some rich arabs to buy some planes and come with you.

Pete
Forrest12 is offline Find More Posts by Forrest12
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:43 PM
Las Vegas
Joined Mar 2009
1,203 Posts
Cool, Steve. I know the feeling all too well; flying on a new hill alone and praying it all works out.

Mike
LVSloper is offline Find More Posts by LVSloper
Old Nov 12, 2012, 08:33 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,301 Posts
That is wicked! Good work!
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:12 AM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Miners Rest
Joined Feb 2009
1,586 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest12 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to make that video Steve.
Loved every minute, Awesome. You just need to get some rich arabs to buy some planes and come with you.

Pete
Get them to come with you. The rest will look after itself.
You could spark a D80 drought.

Great videos
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:59 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,525 Posts
Floppin' Chooks Steve, you've blown me away with those videos! I'm really excited! Good on yer mate for your adventuring spirit, and clocking up the first UAE DS!! What a top effort all round. The vids are amazing quality, and you really did some artistic work with the editing of the first one, very successfully. Beautiful. It gives a great feel for the place and the experience of being there, and it must have taken some work to get that footage all on your own. It looks beautiful but I'm sure at the time you were feeling the heat rather than the beauty! It looked like you had some reasonable speed there despite the light breeze so I hope you get to try it when there's some bigger wind - it's a really nice sharp ridge, but landing there in 30kts with a heavier plane could be an experience. Hey why were all those other vehicles crawling around the dunes in your 2nd vid? There were quite a lot.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
679 Posts
Steve has created some awesome videos. This is one of my favourite gliding videos, all filmed by Steve on his own, back when we were fortunate to have him flying with us in the Peaks (England). Heck I can't even get shots that good when my only task is to hold the camera Kinder downfall is a slightly surreal waterfall that blows vertically up on a windy day and is located near to one of our most challenging DS sites (and incidentally Steve still holds the hill record for!)

Kinder Downfall (3 min 18 sec)

apologies to Chris for going off topic...
Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:53 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,424 Posts
Awesome ...

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics