HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2012, 03:11 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,705 Posts
Hey Chris, I just had a look at the Wizard Compact DSX speeds and noticed that in the 100" category, there are 2 planes listed ... the DS and the DSX. Some DSX speeds have been entered into one plane and some into the other. Also some old speeds for Wizard Compact BPV's have been entered into the DSX page too.

It's not a straightforward thing to sort out because there are quite a few variants from the light basic Wizard Compact, through the BPV which is stiffer and has an X-tail, then the DS, right up to the top of the line heavy with full ballast options and texallium layup, called the DSX. To make it even more confusing, up until about 3 - 4 years ago, the BPV was a V-tail and a lighter softer plane than the current BPV. (BPV doesn't mean V-tail ... it means Bullet Proof Version).

Maybe you could just combine them all as Wizard Compacts?? With a note by the flyer as to the version?
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Last edited by AvB; Oct 24, 2012 at 03:19 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,034 Posts
I think that's not a bad idea and pretty easy to do. I wonder about layups and things. We have glass planes, carbon, heavy’s, lights... Hummm

Alex, yes I'll fix it... AND I would like to separate some hills into two hills. Each hill needs a new name, for the lesser flown direction(s). I think there's an Ausi hill or two that could be separated. Please list some new names for those that need splitting.

I’ll add your friends speeds at the same time.

Thanks

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Oct 24, 2012, 02:25 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,738 Posts
Yes dates at Wainui for NE are:
Jan 17 2008
Feb 7 2008
Jun 4 2011
Oct 9 2011
Nov 11 2011

Wainui SW are:

May 18 2012
Aug 31 2012
Oct 19 2012

Forsyth NE dates are:

Feb 24 2007

Forsyth SW dates are:

Aug 13 2011

Sugarloaf S dates are:

Dec 10 2006
Dec 17 2006
Feb 24 2007
Oct 14 2007
Jan 10 2008
Jan 2 2012
May 16 2012

Sugarloaf N days are:

5th Oct 2012

Cass W days are:

Jun 23 2012
5th Oct 2012

Cass NE days are:

7th Oct 2012

You need to go back at least to page 99 for some speeds to enter. Lots of speeds recorded around the place in October
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,705 Posts
Let's get this straight at the start ... if we're going to split hills into 2 sites for different wind directions, are we going to name them on the basis of the wind direction, or on the side of the hill? If we're not clear on this I can see some people entering the wrong thing.

What do you guys think ... although we most commonly say e.g. "Parker in an east wind" I wonder if it's best to refer to it as the zone; i.e. "Parker west side" - to make it clear that it's the zone we're classifying, not the wind direction. What I mean is that otherwise you'll have people thinking they should enter different wind directions for the same zone, like "Parker SE".

RCSpeeds is such a great database and it does allow the detailed classification of zones within sites, but the problem is how to help Chris to sort back thru old speeds which are all lumped together in one site (as it is for planes, like the Compact). For example, at Bald Knob there are 2 quite discrete sites ... the Gate and the Hump. They're physically different ridges running off the same hill, a few hundred metres apart. The Gate can be DSed in both E and NW winds and the Hump only in SSE. So I'd like to see those sites listed as three zones: "Gate W Side", "Gate E side", and "Hump N side". It's fun trying to get the highest speed for a zone.

For example "Bird Springs East Side" holds the 498mph world record. In April we got something like 115mph playing around on "Bird Springs West Side" in light air. (I don't think the speed has been listed) but if you're at Weldon and get skunked by a light easterly, it would be fun to head for BSP just to try to bust the 115 record and get your name listed on the top for the BSP West zone. Not a big deal to most of the world but it's fun if it's one of your local hills.

Chris maybe you could have a process of registering a new zone or plane and once it's accepted, use a data entry screen for users to enter the data via drop down boxes? Would there be a way then for other users to see a report of newly entered speeds?
Last edited by AvB; Oct 24, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:55 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,738 Posts
I think the answer is "Site + Wind direction" e.g. "Parker E" or "Parker W"

No East side West side crap lol

And I agree with Andrew, DS is growing, and speeds are coming more often. No offence, Chris, But it is going to reach a point that you will find it hard to keep up with, if you haven't already
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
920 Posts
Andrew, our ridges tend to be associated by name with their principal wind direction for DS.

So for example, Rushup Edge is heavily associated with South (though its s'ly working range can be as much as 170-220*); while under your suggestion it would be referred to as 'Rushup Edge North' or perhaps 'RE-N'.

It is DSed less frequently & at lesser speeds in n'lies; ordinarily referred to as 'wrong way round'.

Still, it's merely convention & conventions can be changed.
(It wasn't long ago that ships' helms were placed in the direction opposite to the desired direction of turn; & most of you reading this have learnt to drive on the wrong side of the road....).
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:02 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
Are you guys trying to make Chris quit?
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:10 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,705 Posts
Nah I just talked to him on the phone ... he still loves this stuff. Working out ways to get databases to do stuff seems to really turn him on. Weird. It's probably his way of compensating for the fact that he's such a hopeless flyer ....
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:16 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,119 Posts
Here's a vote for not splitting DS sites into different wind directions. Note it maybe, but not separate em.
Mt. Zion has 3 different DSable directions/locations.
Jones Pass has 2.
Parker has 2
and so forth..

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:38 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Here's a vote for not splitting DS sites into different wind directions. Note it maybe, but not separate em.
Mt. Zion has 3 different DSable directions/locations.
Jones Pass has 2.
Parker has 2
and so forth..

ian
I agree Ian.......

Why does it matter what direction your flying it..?? Same spot.??
Clock wise and anti-clock wise laps.....

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:37 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,665 Posts
I'm a K.I.S.S. fan.
Look at how you're planning to handle the Wizard Compact variations (I suspect the Windburner variations will end up similarly varied - laminex WB with carbon tow repairs anyone?)
A lot of the variables can be handled in the notes section by indicating wind direction or location.
The decision is Chris' since only he can guess at how much work is involved but once you start adding detail to each site it's a case of where do you stop?
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:43 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,738 Posts
Cool, I'm for that. In the notes/special comments field, just note Wind direction
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:07 PM
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
3,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Nah I just talked to him on the phone ... he still loves this stuff. Working out ways to get databases to do stuff seems to really turn him on. Weird. It's probably his way of compensating for the fact that he's such a hopeless flyer ....
Good one
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:17 PM
Lancaster, CA.
Joined Aug 2009
308 Posts
Parker

Bruce and I are flying at Parker today and Friday were getting our first good easterly Santa Ana Winds 30-35 with gusts to 60 mph.. Originally back in the early 1900s they use to call them Santana Winds which actually means Devil Winds, due to their warmpth.

Tim
HiDesertFun is offline Find More Posts by HiDesertFun
Last edited by HiDesertFun; Oct 25, 2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:16 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
623 Posts
Date: Oct 22, 2012
Pilot: Jono Ashton
Plane: Uber Craft raven
Speed: 114mph PB
Gun: pro speed
Witness: Eben Brand
Gyro: no

Date: Oct 22, 2012