HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 11:38 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
Here is a video of my first EDF flight earlier this summer. Yes I made big glaring mistakes and it ended up ugly. Live and learn. I'm some what an epoxy expert now after 3 years in the hobby. I can tell you ducted fans get battle scars faster than WWII warbirds do in my case!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foeMuHplwe4
Me too! Sometimes they even fly better after the strategic application of epoxy.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:00 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
Me too! Sometimes they even fly better after the strategic application of epoxy.

Sonny
The F-4 strategically has lost it's landing gear (problem solved). I was thinking I'd need a parachute for landing but I'm getting better! These little swept wing bastards are crazy! My F-18 is still unflown, haven't had much time off work this summer. Kinda bummed about it because I modified the stupid stock exceed gear but have no good spot for landing gear. Just belly floppers.
Ispintechno is offline Find More Posts by Ispintechno
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:28 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,669 Posts
Quote:
The F-4 strategically has lost it's landing gear (problem solved). I was thinking I'd need a parachute for landing but I'm getting better! These little swept wing bastards are crazy! My F-18 is still unflown, haven't had much time off work this summer. Kinda bummed about it because I modified the stupid stock exceed gear but have no good spot for landing gear. Just belly floppers.
And me too again! I have three belly landers and love 'em, my fave being the Phase 3 EF-16, with the Hobby Lobby F9f Panther right behind. Just picked up a Jpower F-35 50mm, but haven't had the time to fly in a couple weeks....sucks!! The EF-16 especially is a sweet, stable flying airplane. I can't use any kind of gear where I fly because it's tall native grassland, so if they can't slide in on their tummies I'm not flyin' 'em.

Sonny
Old Aug 09, 2011, 12:30 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,951 Posts
Ispintechno; Have you been able to slow down your approach some? That was way hot.
The Phantom is usually a little bit of a handful which is why I guess it was a dot ..... try slowing it down and bringing it in tighter to see if you can slow it up enough to control your landings. Remember also to time your available amps and WideOpenThrottle only makes your trip real short with fewer options at the end.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:27 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ispintechno; Have you been able to slow down your approach some? That was way hot.
The Phantom is usually a little bit of a handful which is why I guess it was a dot ..... try slowing it down and bringing it in tighter to see if you can slow it up enough to control your landings. Remember also to time your available amps and WideOpenThrottle only makes your trip real short with fewer options at the end.
Yeah, noobie mistake I later corrected, take her 3-4 mistakes high, throttle back, and learn when it stops flying. Was afraid of stalling on maiden when really the flight envelope is wider than I expected.
I fly my warbirds like I stole 'em, and when you throttle back drag wins and the airplane nicely slows down, with swept wing EDF you need a couple passes and a nice tight energy bleeding turn. Learning throttle management. This video was the first attempt, figured I'd share it here in this thread as I did it all wrong!
For the record the Airfield F-4 stall isn't that bad, with a 2800mah 4S battery in the nose it will nose down, I figured for sure it would wing rock and become a handful, I was wrong again. It's a nice airframe and easier to fly than I made it look in this video. The EPS is very light, she screams on 600W! If I ever clobber the airframe into submission I'm buying another one right away.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old Aug 09, 2011, 10:33 AM
Defender of the park sky
London, ON Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 View Post
And me too again! I have three belly landers and love 'em, my fave being the Phase 3 EF-16, with the Hobby Lobby F9f Panther right behind. Just picked up a Jpower F-35 50mm, but haven't had the time to fly in a couple weeks....sucks!! The EF-16 especially is a sweet, stable flying airplane. I can't use any kind of gear where I fly because it's tall native grassland, so if they can't slide in on their tummies I'm not flyin' 'em.

Sonny
Yep. I think I'll be pulling the gear off the F-18 and add packing tape the underside for strength and slipperyness on the rough ground. Now that I can actually fly the F-4 I think the F-18 will seem a bit easier. When I did a ground test testing the modified nose gear the lift was staggering, she wanted to fly with almost no airspeed. I'm guessing down the road when I can fly her properly, I could probably add spoileron and fly high alpha with her. But that's in my head, I clearly make mistakes with my mental physics engine 1.0 lol.
Last edited by Ispintechno; Aug 09, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
Here's a tip, if you fly off of grass and you want to have more fun, think of getting a plane you can hand launch and belly land. Hand launching an EDF is an artform. I like to give a hard toss but it has to be straight. Like throwing a football with NO SPIRAL. Not natural. It helps if someone else does the toss but for me, I find I can't always get someone who knows what they are doing.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 05, 2011 at 07:16 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Feb 2009
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Yep. I think I'll be pulling the gear off the F-18 and add packing tape the underside for strength and slipperyness on the rough ground. Now that I can actually fly the F-4 I think the F-18 will seem a bit easier. When I did a ground test testing the modified nose gear the lift was staggering, she wanted to fly with almost no airspeed. I'm guessing down the road when I can fly her properly, I could probably add spoileron and fly high alpha with her. But that's in my head, I clearly make mistakes with my mental physics engine 1.0 lol.
Another "three mistakes high" maneuver till you get the hang of it. I use colored duct tape on the bottom of mine, (red), not only for protection from dents in the foam on landing, but for visibility and orientation, (old(er) eyes ya know).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Here's a tip, if you fly off of grass and you want to have more fun, think of getting a plane you can hand launch and belly land. Hand launching an EDF is an artform. I like to give a hard toss but it has to be straight. Like throwing a football with NO SPIRAL. Not natural. It helps if someone else does the toss but for me, I find I can't always get someone who knows what they are doing.
You're right, hand launching an edf is a nail biter the first few times, but it becomes "natural" with practice. Biggest mistake folks make is tossing at an up angle, when they should be tossing straight and level to allow the plane to spool up and gain airspeed before climb out.

Sonny
Old Aug 12, 2011, 10:06 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,428 Posts
I think the angle depends on the power and the plane. I give a hard toss w/o spin at an angle, steeper than many do. That's cause I'm doing it myself. The trouble with too straight and level is if your friend puts a twist on it, your in for a heep of trouble. My A4 and A10 all get thrown at about a 30 degree angle to give me time to get my hands on the sticks. I can't throw left handed due to bad shoulder.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 12, 2011, 11:46 AM
Joined Feb 2009
2,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
I think the angle depends on the power and the plane. I give a hard toss w/o spin at an angle, steeper than many do. That's cause I'm doing it myself. The trouble with too straight and level is if your friend puts a twist on it, your in for a heep of trouble. My A4 and A10 all get thrown at about a 30 degree angle to give me time to get my hands on the sticks. I can't throw left handed due to bad shoulder.
I launch my own, and all my edf's have Wicked power plants so they have plenty of thrust to get going. My EF-16 actually will launch at high alpha if I get it too nose high when I toss it, so I try to launch straight out.

Sonny
Old Aug 12, 2011, 04:56 PM
Crawley Down, sussex, England
Joined Dec 2004
340 Posts
I launch all my edf's at a very steep angle. But with well over 1:1 thrust to weight ratio i can point the nose to the sky, just let go of the plane and it will climb vertically out of my hand till out of sight. The extra power makes hand launching very easy. My F-15 is nose heavy and has a lot of down trim dialled in because it wants to climb alot at high speed. If i launched it flat and straight out, you would only have a fraction of a second to get back on the stick before it nosed into the ground. Also there are some very high powered edf setups that will actually torque roll on launch, which can be very risky on a parrallel throw. Obviously if you dont have much power then you have to launch straight out or it will stall into the ground. But as Melnic
said, it depends on your plane and how powerful it is. I got fed up with my friends giving me bad hand launches too close to the ground, and a mad panic to save the plane from crashing by a whisker. So i now hand launch myself.... Straight up.
sniper1 is offline Find More Posts by sniper1
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Rarebear/ Bearcat
Old Aug 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
5,951 Posts
I lost my Euro to a bad hand launch from one of the club member. He had seen us do it before and he voluteered to help. I figured it would have been easier but instead even after going thru what to do, he lawn darted it straight into the ground. We don't talk much anymore but I take responsibility for letting put his hands on the model.

The concept I thought should have been fairly simple; if it were a glider and you want it to fly as far and as long as you can get it, a certain trajectory automatically comes to mind.

If you think you can do this left handed, then its usually better to launch it yourself. If you're not so coordinated or if its really under powered, then come up with another plan.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: EDF Design
Old Aug 17, 2011, 03:39 PM
http://stevesrcaddiction.wordp
Joined Feb 2011
260 Posts
Been flying around 4 months now decided wanted to get into edf's most of my planes are Airhog Titans I convert to RC. Here is the maiden flight of my Airhogs Titan EDF trainer , there are two videos, my father decided to switch cameras in the middle of the flight to use a more advanced smart phone off a fellow club member.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZTbMHXgVso[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXS1zc-yKQk[/media]

not the best videos, but that's what you get using a cellphone. Did a few low passes but stayed hi to get a feel for it since this is my first real flight using an edf, plane rolls great but might be a bit heavy didn't like how quickly it lost speed in any pronounced climb. Had to keep her around 20ish degree climb rate. top speed is probably 50-60mph. I
scote621 is offline Find More Posts by scote621
Old Aug 28, 2011, 10:07 PM
22x
Awesome User!
Joined Jul 2011
29 Posts
After flying alot of different planes i got the Banana hobby FA-18 tiger meet ,and she is great , now i did crash her 2 times

The first was the maiden she went a bit sideways on the runway and i cut the power and it decided to fly anyhow i tried to save it but to no availe ,, and the second i got caught up in the tall grass on a level hand toss , ,

But i find this jet slows down nice its landed nice every time even with stock battery controller and all , the advice i have is hand launch a little up at 3/4 throttle take her up nice and slow and fly in circles till you are comfortable add speed before tight maneuvers and land with little or no throttle rear wheels down first (pulling up)

also if you get in trouble cut the throttle (opposite of front prop flight) allow it to nose down and add throttle once its falling and pull up only as much is needed untill you get your airspeed back

also dont get in your buddies jet wash it will knock you out of the sky when you think you had it,, i accidentally did this to a guy at the field it pushed his jet so hard it didnt recover , fortunately he plopped it flat in the tall grass ,,and it went unhurt
22x is offline Find More Posts by 22x
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,368 Posts
Twin Headaches

Beginners should avoid twin EDF designs due to crash prone-ness, complication, and cost considerations.

I was given a GWS ME-262, less receiver, with stock brushless 2028 motors/fan units and 15amp speed controls mounted of outsides of nacelles.
I used a Spektrum DX-6 and AR6000 receiver with a Park BEC.
I had a number of nice flights then started one-engine-out assymetric thrust crashes, digging EDF units out of nacelles, replacing motors, speed controls, adding switchmode BEC, etc. Encountered problems finding replacement GWS motors, adapters, fans etc. Eventually got into technology about which brands and types of CC speed controls work together properly and use of smart BEC to override ESC LVC cutoffs and shut down both motors simultaneously in even of sagging motor battery voltage. Battery packs got hot, lost performance and puffed prematurely.

Too much monkey business. Most successful GWS ME-262 addicts have lots of crashes and left over ESC, foam parts, etc.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged