HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 18, 2011, 11:57 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I guess I broke all your rules Ive been flying my t28 for about 3 weeks and bought an a10havent crashed yet , then 3 weeks latter bought a 70mm mig 15 havent crashed it yet ! I love flying that mig 15 and your right landing dead stick you better be gentle on the elevator or yoyr in trouble in a hurry !
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2011, 05:20 AM
Portugal, Faro District, Almancil
Joined Feb 2008
306 Posts
Great comments i just purchased my first edf jet , a banana hobby f16 with vt and retracts , i have 4 years experience with 3d planes and ww2 warbirds , but still it is a hole different ball game when it comes to edf .
MAT1978 is offline Find More Posts by MAT1978
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:19 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I have that 70mm edf mig 15 from nitroplane its a graet jet and one heck of a deal ! very forgiving in the air and doesnt do anything stupid . Ive got about 70 flights on it ,I take off and land on dirt, as allways dont use the suplied glue I did change out the main wheeld to 2" to get the belly up a little bit si i wont tear it up on landing or take off , I dont have the retracts on mine but I'm going to install them . I fly it on my airtronics 2.4 ghz radio . I use a 2200 mah 4s 25c battery start out at 4.20 v per cell after a 4 minute fly down 2 3.87 v per cell everything stock except the reciever and main wheels.
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:59 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAT1978 View Post
Great comments i just purchased my first edf jet , a banana hobby f16 with vt and retracts , i have 4 years experience with 3d planes and ww2 warbirds , but still it is a hole different ball game when it comes to edf .
Let us know how that goes. I've heard mixed reviews on that model...
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Apr 01, 2011, 10:50 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1 Posts
I would have to admit that I might be the exception to your lists. I did have extensive years of playing flight based video games and a few weeks of toying with a free RC simulator though. My first plane ever was a twin 64mm EDF A-10 from Dynam. It was a RTF kit and I've been flying it with the stock transmitter and parts since about a week after I recieved it.
It was a bit fast for my skill level at the time, and I definitly would not recommend it as a starter to anyone, but I loved the thing. Not saying I was a picture perfect pilot though. I did have a few crashes, a couple were my fault and were good learning experiences (landing too slow and stalling, running the battery out and attempting to land an EDF dead stick), a few were mechanical problems (bad factory solder on one of the ESC connectors). It was still a lot of fun to zip around in and turned a lot of heads at a field where most everyone is still running classic homebuilt gas props.

I have since moved on to bigger and better things, and I agree that getting a good transmitter setup is definitly a plus, but for a beginner, the stck radios that are out there today on most things seem more than enough to get the job done while not breaking the bank for somone who may not even enjoy the hobby and stick with it.
Trueflights is offline Find More Posts by Trueflights
Old Apr 07, 2011, 05:41 AM
FLY HARD OR FLY HOME TO MUMMY
Joined Jan 2011
195 Posts
i can see where people are coming from when they say you need some experience to fly an edf, they are fast and a good understanding of how and why an aircraft stalls is critical. i especially believe having a large area to fly in is a must. however if you have good spacial orientation, and are flying the wings off a prop aircraft i don't see what all the fuss about. i started flying rc in january with a 1400mm j3 cub, two weeks later i flew my t45 hawk from hobby king and this week i flew my 90 mm fa18 with thrust vectoring. having said that my background consists of a lot of aerobatics in real aircraft (pitts s2a) and a few million hours flying flight simulator on spot or tower view. i have only put this post up to illustrate to people what is reasonably possible if they have the background, not to brag. i just feel that many people are missing out on the potential fun they would be having if they took that next step and tried an edf. it seems to me there is a bit of a stygma attached to them, that they are impossible to fly unless you are a special rc pilot or extremely experienced. i can assure you i am niether. just have steady hands and keep ahead of the plane!
jb0005 is offline Find More Posts by jb0005
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:37 AM
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Apr 2009
199 Posts
yes i admit need experience. but when u seldom flying Ur edf u might end up with kangaroo landing too. hehe.. trust me...
acuamie is offline Find More Posts by acuamie
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:36 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I agree with everything jb is saying. there's nothing special about flying a jet of any kind. it's all about speed and energy management. lose any of those and you are in for trouble. other than that, there's nothing "special" about them at all.

where it gets tricky for first time fliers, is that they tend to overcontrol on the sticks. this is a jet killer. if you must get a jet as your first time plane, at least do yourself a favour and buy a simulator for your pc and learn on there first.
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:47 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
488 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb0005 View Post
i can see where people are coming from when they say you need some experience to fly an edf, they are fast and a good understanding of how and why an aircraft stalls is critical. i especially believe having a large area to fly in is a must. however if you have good spacial orientation, and are flying the wings off a prop aircraft i don't see what all the fuss about. i started flying rc in january with a 1400mm j3 cub, two weeks later i flew my t45 hawk from hobby king and this week i flew my 90 mm fa18 with thrust vectoring. having said that my background consists of a lot of aerobatics in real aircraft (pitts s2a) and a few million hours flying flight simulator on spot or tower view. i have only put this post up to illustrate to people what is reasonably possible if they have the background, not to brag. i just feel that many people are missing out on the potential fun they would be having if they took that next step and tried an edf. it seems to me there is a bit of a stygma attached to them, that they are impossible to fly unless you are a special rc pilot or extremely experienced. i can assure you i am niether. just have steady hands and keep ahead of the plane!
Very well put Jb.. I think a lot of people make too much fuss about it.. I say give it a whirl and it sure is fun. I think if new pilots knew how cool an edf sounds going by, they would try it sooner.

Paul
Paul5910 is offline Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Apr 11, 2011, 04:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
93 Posts
From what I have seen and read for the last hour; there are some people out there who like to hear themselves talk and some that offer useful advice and never the twain shall meet. EDF: IMHO the best trainer for EDF is an A-10 Warthog. I have two and love them to death. Of course I have yet to fly either one of them, but they HAVE ALL THE RIGHT STUFF. I have close to 48 hours on my sim in them and as soon as I can walk again I will be out there trying to put what I have learned into pratice. Dr. says two more months and I hope he is right because I am about to go stir crazy. Guys this is supposed to be fun and crashing and burning is part of the learning process. I can hardly wait to screw up in real life.
winggunner46 is offline Find More Posts by winggunner46
Old Apr 11, 2011, 02:50 PM
Langley, British Columbia
Joined Oct 2009
305 Posts
striker of funjet?

I'm glad that I found this topic as I plan to add EDF's at some point to my little airforce. I really appreciate all the good information, especially the checklist. One advice that has been repeated is to get a Striker because it is a good aircraft to get used to the higher speeds, yet as a big delta, it has low speed stability too. I also see that multiplex makes a funjet that is in some ways similar to the striker. I was wondering if anyone who has flown either of these and can assess which would make sense with respect to the transition to EDF's? Are they similar in flight? Is one more stable or more suitable than the other?

thanks
ks
kingsnake11 is offline Find More Posts by kingsnake11
Old Apr 11, 2011, 03:15 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
They are. I have seen the striker and I have a funjet.
I bought the funjet to transition to EDF, but I found that it is still my favorite plane to fly. It is very stable,fast, and slow. Sometimes, the hand launch can be a challenge if you throw it weak or too much attitude (up or down).

Funjet offers more versatility than stryker. You can mount many different types of motors and fit a large variety of batteries. You can also adjust the motors up/down thrust angle, but I always left it at 0 deg.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:48 PM
St.Catharines, Ontario
Joined Jan 2009
10,377 Posts
I say forget the Striker and go straight for an EDF Delta, such as the Grippen, Eurofighter, or the Rafale. another option would be to buy a tailed delta, such as the F-15. nuthin beats the "real" thing IMHO. sure, I've flown the Striker and the Funjet and although they are very quick and a lot of fun, they still aren't an EDf and you don't get that EDF feel from them. if it were my money, I'de say go right into the EDF.

Rich
LuvEvolution7 is offline Find More Posts by LuvEvolution7
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:38 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5910 View Post
Very well put Jb.. I think a lot of people make too much fuss about it.. I say give it a whirl and it sure is fun. I think if new pilots knew how cool an edf sounds going by, they would try it sooner.

Paul
There's obviously nothing mystical about flying an EDF. I think people tend to exaggerate in both directions (being fine for beginners vs. very difficult to fly).

There's something to be said about discouraging someone who's never flown RC watching you fly a large EDF going at 100mph and then wanting to go out and get one to fly at his local park... kinda dangerous you know
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:09 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,329 Posts
Key element is figure out what you're up against and try. Nothing is going to happen unless you try.

Saying that its easy.....is relative. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's observed drivers that make you wonder how in the world the got their license. Or others who have failed their test a few times. And for those who just barely got their license and then face bad weather....relative......
Certainly flying a model is harder than driving a car.
I don't know how any of us could tell if we are talking to someone like that from these forums, but even if we came across one who had such difficulties, we could still give them pointers on what to look out for and encourage them to Try!
Ask and gather as many good pointers as you can for the design you're going to try and go out and... try!
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member