Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 08, 2011, 02:25 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispintechno View Post
The habu looks awesome. I wish I could get over the fact it's a sport plane. For that I'm waiting for a ParkZone BNF F-XX of some kind. Looked hard at the E-flite F-16 and F-15, but for the money they're pretty outdated and not that great.
I seriously doubt I'll have another civilian or fictional RC airplane either. Or anything at all not military from WWII or later. Just way I feel, want to fly my favourite planes/jets and nothing else. Scale features that make the model not as desirable in characteristics (be it flying or ground) actually excite me if it's true for the FS. Probably have spent way way way to much time watching airplane documentaries over the last 2 years.
My feelings exactly. In fact I love it when I get scale features or characteristics to actually work.
Personally I'm not a fan of the habu because its a sport plane. My criteria is it has to look like something in the real world. Like many who have the habu, they rip it apart and turn it into the many things it orginally wasn't. In which case may as well just get a model that has those features which scale/standoff scale always does.

Its just me but I think flying jets like a Cessna is just all wrong
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2011, 09:55 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,694 Posts
Twin EDF jets are a double PITA with lots of "unexplained crashes" based on my GWS ME-262 experiences. If a flier has flown speedy WWII warbirds successfully, he can probably fly a decently powered single motored EDF model with some help and advice from an experienced EDF jet mentor, hopefully using a buddy box. Same old story, before EDF jets, kid wanted to buy/fly a P-51 before learning on high wing trainer with ailerons. Experienced EDF fliers usually have a lot of carcasses and crashed EDF power stuff.
E-Challenged is online now Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:37 PM
Dark Yet??
United States, VA, Narrows
Joined Dec 2009
1,458 Posts
I got this 70mm Mig from Nitro Planes. I used a EFlite .15 EDF motor. Used the factory CG and very low rates. It seemed very docile and easy to control, but I have been flying for a while.

MigMaiden.wmv (0 min 31 sec)
Barn-E-Stormer is offline Find More Posts by Barn-E-Stormer
Old Feb 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,378 Posts
If anyone has trashed a changesun retract and can't use it, I need a PCB board from one, I broke the button off a micro switch.
Thanks
Tom J
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:48 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,378 Posts
Thanks to bobwheet I'm back in action! a plea for help works, along with payin it forward!
Tom
Old Feb 28, 2011, 10:54 PM
Re-kitting Expert
USA, CA, California City
Joined Jul 2009
164 Posts
First, I have to admit I just don't have the patience to read the entire 17 pages of this thread. So if what I'm about to type has already been posted, sorry!

If you buy one of the inexpensive EDF's available from many dealers make sure they have good hardware for the control surfaces. Cheap clevises and control horns, flimsy pushrods, brittle servo horns can all ruin your day in a hurry. If you have the slightest doubt about the quality do yourself a huge favor and replace them with quality hardware. Spending a bit to ensure good control surface response is much less expensive than replacing your airplane because the supplied hardware failed.

In general larger models will be easier to fly - more stable, easier to see, etc. A model of a real jet designed to fly low and slow should fly well at slower speeds. A model of a go-fast real jet will fly best at high throttle settings. As with all things there are exceptions, so if in doubt ask someone who knows.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS make your first flights with the help of an experienced jet model pilot or instructor! They'll be able to spot the crash coming before you will and hopefully help you avoid it. You don't get the advantage of airflow over the control surfaces that a prop creates, nor do you get the instant thrust increase in response to the throttle. Energy management is important in turns and other speed scrubbing maneuvers, and having someone beside you who knows what to watch for is priceless.

Oh yeah, one other thing while I'm at it. All those neat bombs and missiles and drop tanks and such may look great on the ground, but in the air all they do is create drag. Leave them on the ground when you fly.
Tarasdad is offline Find More Posts by Tarasdad
Old Mar 01, 2011, 08:44 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined Jul 2002
485 Posts
My first EDF was the HobbyLobby F9F Panther. I can't say enough about how nice this pane flys. I got really good at flying my PZ P-51 and decided to give this EDF a try. I had a few problems on the first couple of flights due to my throws being excessive (not the planes fault.) This plane is tough as nails! While transitioning to EDF I had a couple of scrapes and dings, but this thing handled the learing curve with me just fine. For $120. RXR ready you can't go wrong. You will need a charger. I don't have gear on mine yet because it is on back order, but this things glides in very nice for grass landings. Great first EDF.. I highly reccomend it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...33859_prd1.htm

Paul
Paul5910 is online now Find More Posts by Paul5910
Old Mar 01, 2011, 09:37 PM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul5910 View Post
My first EDF was the HobbyLobby F9F Panther. I can't say enough about how nice this pane flys. I got really good at flying my PZ P-51 and decided to give this EDF a try. I had a few problems on the first couple of flights due to my throws being excessive (not the planes fault.) This plane is tough as nails! While transitioning to EDF I had a couple of scrapes and dings, but this thing handled the learing curve with me just fine. For $120. RXR ready you can't go wrong. You will need a charger. I don't have gear on mine yet because it is on back order, but this things glides in very nice for grass landings. Great first EDF.. I highly reccomend it.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f9f_panth...33859_prd1.htm

Paul
I heartily agree with that, the HL F9F Panther was my first edf too, and is perfect as an edf trainer. It flies well on the stock set up, and is a nice and stable plane; even easier to fly than many of my prop planes, (now deceased; RIP). The only thing negative I can say is that some of the "stock" hardware, especially the pushrods and clevis' need to be upgraded, (I replaced the entire stock pushrod system), but that's a cheap price to pay for a totally enjoyable RC airplane to fly.

Sonny
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Mar 02, 2011, 02:14 AM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
I have been flying RC for a year, and just got started with EDF a few months ago.
The ticket to easy flight characteristics is:
Lots of aileron expo on short winged fighters
full rate elevator
CG spot on
as close to or greater than 1:1 thrust to weight.
ample landing approach

A great transitioning plane is a Funjet or Stryker (as well as a blast to fly)

Those 50mm SkyAngel/J-Power/BlitzRC are pretty good natured. Just the small size easily skews orientation. Once you have it down, these are straight out awesome and fun little buggers, even with the stock motor/fan. They are the best bang for the buck for cheap scale fighters.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Last edited by restlessswind; Mar 02, 2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2011, 11:59 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Pilots blaming the plane

It's not always the plane's fault

Banana Hobby F-35 EDF Jet Crash - Terry's Maiden Flight (8 min 42 sec)
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
Old Mar 05, 2011, 03:07 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,378 Posts
I bet none of the guys there are AMA members, if they were they'd act a bit more responsible. Definitely not a sanctioned site.
Old Mar 05, 2011, 04:53 AM
Kool Kats Fly RC!! AMA 30462
United States, CA, Baywood-Los Osos
Joined Feb 2009
2,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
I bet none of the guys there are AMA members, if they were they'd act a bit more responsible. Definitely not a sanctioned site.
Wondered about that myself, there were lots of people running around with a largely out of control RC airplane in their immediate area; recipe for disaster Here's a pdf of the official AMA Safety Code; they should read it, and then join.
sonny1 is offline Find More Posts by sonny1
Old Mar 06, 2011, 07:54 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
At any rate that video was one hell of a laugh
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Mar 07, 2011, 02:27 PM
Full Throttle...Always!
El Paso, Texas
Joined Dec 2008
40 Posts
Interesting topic....I purchaced a HobbyZone Super Cub LP first. I flew it, then crashed it, then repaired it, then flew and crashed again. It was slow and easy to handle, just took my mind off what I was doing, got confused, then headed for the ground. It is a nice Training aircraft though. Once I got in the "Ballgame" so to speak, I flew it for about 4 months. Then made my next major mistake...I bought a Parkzone P-51D Mustang BL BNF....Ooop's. What makes people think that a Jet would be a good first parkflyer?
The closest to a good parkflyer first time aircraft would be an SU37 profile Quick build from 6mmflyrc.
http://www.6mmflyrc.com/quick-build-series/
I saw this one fly and the pilot could get it quite slow and lathargic. Anyway, these guys are right when they say "Check BEFORE you buy!"
Strongarm5791 is offline Find More Posts by Strongarm5791
Old Mar 08, 2011, 01:55 AM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
I was flying my 50mm F-16 at a local school park and a dad and kid came up to me afterwards to ask some questions. From the questions, it's apparent they haven't flown RC but wanted to know where I got the jet so they could go buy one...

I guess sometimes I don't feel like raining on someone's parade
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace