HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by bighead93, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:40 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Discussion
Check list before you buy an EDF!!

I still can't believe how many people I run into that have been flying their T-28 for a couple of weeks and then go buy an EDF...plane last one flight and becomes heavily damaged. I feel bad for these people spending hard earned money on a plane that will literally last one flight. Just because you can fly a four channel RC plane doesn’t mean that you are going to be able to handle an EDF. Also anyone buying an EDF that plans on belly landing and is getting a kit out of EPO or EPS they don’t hold up well…unless you are really good at landing. These are my pointers if you plan on moving on to an EDF:

1) Can fly 3 and 4 channel aircraft and own a high quality radio ie (DX6 - DX7 etc) something that allows expo and dual rates!! RTF radio's are a waste of time and makes the EDF difficult to fly!

2) Can land said aircraft…the correct way!! Not bouncing down the runway…you have to be smooth or you will crash! If you aren’t good at landing yet…forget about retracts!

3) Be able to control and gain control in a stall!! EDF’s stall and you have to be ready for it…the major difference with EDF’s versus prop driven is the time it takes for an EDF to spool up! That and you are not getting airflow over the control surfaces on an EDF like you do off a prop drive.

4) Fly in a big open area! How many videos do we have to see with EDF’s taking off between light poles or dodging basket ball hoops??!! The more open area the better!!

5) Plan ahead and make sure you have a timer! Landing an EDF without power takes a special pilot!

6) Don’t believe all the hype. You are not going to have a fast stock EDF. Just because you see it advertised (Will fly at over 90MPH!!) means it might hit mid 60’s in a dive!

7) Delta wing EDF’s are best to start with! Also be sure to ask about different offered EDF…chances are some of us have flown them!

8) Don’t buy on looks and stay away from twins to start...twice the problems!! B-2's, F-117's, F-16’s, SR-71’s, F-14’s and F-4’s are not easy to fly!! They may look easy but do some searches on youtube and you will see the carnage! You would be better off getting yourself a Parkzone Stryker C and get used to the speed.

9) Find someone that knows what they are doing to trim it out…

10) And for goodness sake check that the control surfaces are moving the right way!!

11) Buy a watt meter! Thanks to Smokescreen38 - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

12) Use fuel tubing over the control linkages/horns

13) Get a simulator!! I love my G4.5.

14) Use high quality glue/CA/epoxy! Throw away the glue that came with your kit...TRUST ME!! It takes days to set-up and will greatly extend the building process!

15) Save weight!! Heavier is not better...if you can save a gram...SAVE IT!!

16) If you are going to fly it from a hand toss...have someone that knows how do it for you!!

What did I miss? Feel free to ad!

A couple of videos showing how its done!
RC SR-71 Blackbird and more! (3 min 18 sec)

RC Jets and my new E-Flite SR! (2 min 18 sec)
bighead93 is offline Find More Posts by bighead93
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bighead93; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Added videos
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:50 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
BIgger is not always better!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:06 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Bighead, that's a pretty fair list. In particular, I think the advice about the StrykerC is apt.

I would add:

Buy a watt meter! It's critical with all electric planes but even more so with EDFs since they're extremely thirsty and can overtax ESCs and Batteries at an alarming rate. If you don't know your amp draw, you won't know how to set the afformentioned timer.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

Start with an inexpensive EPO (CA safe) foam type model that you won't cry over too much if it crashes... and bring CA/kicker to the field.

Have an experienced person launch the plane for you, usually with a firm, level, straight throw (if you don't have landing gear or a suitable runway).

If taking off from the ground, plan for a much longer roll-out and a slower initial climb, thanks to the lower static thrust of an EDF system.

Do not attempt to mix a smoothie in the intake duct of your airplane between flights.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:24 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
Bighead, that's a pretty fair list. In particular, I think the advice about the StrykerC is apt.

I would add:

Buy a watt meter! It's critical with all electric planes but even more so with EDFs since they're extremely thirsty and can overtax ESCs and Batteries at an alarming rate. If you don't know your amp draw, you won't know how to set the afformentioned timer.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

Start with an inexpensive EPO (CA safe) foam type model that you won't cry over too much if it crashes... and bring CA/kicker to the field.

Have an experienced person launch the plane for you, usually with a firm, level, straight throw (if you don't have landing gear or a suitable runway).

If taking off from the ground, plan for a much longer roll-out and a slower initial climb, thanks to the lower static thrust of an EDF system.

Do not attempt to mix a smoothie in the intake duct of your airplane between flights.
You are correct on the Watt Meter!! I love how most companies advertise 10-20 min. flight times on a 3S 1300 lipo! You are good for about 3-4 mins max! Good stuff...maybe we can help someone!

And you are right about using the EDF to mix a smoothie
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCX racer
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:25 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
I would also like to add - use fuel tubing over the control horns!! At least the elevators!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:13 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
When hand launch and if alone do it into the wind!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:16 PM
miniture aircraft pilot
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Oct 2007
1,334 Posts
i have flown IC d/f, turbine, and edf.....
i keep asking myself since edf came out....

WHY HAS A COMPANY NOT MADE A U2 to sell as a trainer.

most people today don't relate to prop planes , and well, thos edf don't last long.
rcshirt is offline Find More Posts by rcshirt
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:31 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post

most people today don't relate to prop planes , and well, thos edf don't last long.
Flying EDF's and Jet's are very different from prop planes! Things happen fast and they like to be flown fast! I have yet to see a rookie have any success with EDF's. I have helped save a few to say the least! Most will crash on the landing approach...come in too slow and tip stall or too fast and end up forcing it down and destroying the landing gear. I agree that a U2 would be a great EDF trainer with that huge wing!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
"Jesters" KC-135 Demo Team
United States, MI, Ypsilanti
Joined Sep 2005
1,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshirt View Post

Phase 3 has one in the works
kc135boomer is offline Find More Posts by kc135boomer
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:12 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Look forward to that one as well!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:49 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighead93 View Post
Flying EDF's and Jet's are very different from prop planes! Things happen fast and they like to be flown fast! I have yet to see a rookie have any success with EDF's. I have helped save a few to say the least! Most will crash on the landing approach...come in too slow and tip stall or too fast and end up forcing it down and destroying the landing gear. I agree that a U2 would be a great EDF trainer with that huge wing!

you see my blog

No one has yet mentioned, but I think it should be high on the list, a SIM maybe?

thats how i got over the fear of a plane thats being pushed vs one thats pulled.

also, I found that w/ a jet, orientation is freggin key.

its a lot easier to loose orientation of a jet VS a prop plane.

and the delta wing concept... is KEY.

I have a F-22 and a F-18.

the 22 is big and floaty.

the F-18 is like a spear with a motor.

had i started w/ the 18, i would have crashed by now.

I didnt buy a jet until i could do endless inverted WOT circuits with my P-51 <100' and not be butt clenched the entire time.
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:20 PM
Canberra Australia
Joined Feb 2007
1,443 Posts
Early generation fighters (1950's) are also a good place to start - MiG15 and F86 spring to mind. Generous amount of wing.
CaseySP is online now Find More Posts by CaseySP
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alfa Corsair Retracts again
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:21 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Can't believe I forgot to mention a sim! I went ahead and added it to the list!
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:28 PM
On Drugs
A mile high and 30 feet south of the 40th parallel
Joined Dec 2009
1,128 Posts
LOL

i dont even own one.

but a few hours on my buddies sim, and a Custom lethargic F-4, i learned a lot.

that short time was invaluable.

i love my jets, and want more people to share my joy.

but you gotta use your freggin head!!!

research research research.

and DO not use RTF TX and RX's ever. get a nice solid radio.

and DO NOT USE FREGGIN SHOE GO OR THE RUBBER CEMENT THAT COMES IN THE KIT.

60sec, 5min and 10min epoxy are your friends.
BEELZEBOB is offline Find More Posts by BEELZEBOB
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:32 PM
Live to fly
Sacramento
Joined Apr 2005
5,557 Posts
Good stuff guys...I am updating the first post! We should also add links to decent beginner EDF's!
RCG Plus Member