HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2003, 09:17 PM
Texas
Joined Jan 2003
110 Posts
How do you know when your motor is toast

No it's not a loaded question. How do you know when your motor is toast ?
I have a IPS A drive in my plane and I am not getting the same flight duration or power (well relatively speaking) during my flights.
I suspected the batteries at first but, measured a voltage and put them in another plane and they still have plenty of juice.
Do motors suddenly stop working ?or do they wane until they are useless ?
I probably have about 800 minutes of flying time on it.
American Flyer is offline Find More Posts by American Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2003, 10:00 PM
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
Joined Feb 2000
2,545 Posts
Either a motor dies quickly which is easy to tell. Or dies a long slow death. You start to notice that the throttle stick keeps creeping up and up to hold altitude and the take offs and climbout keep getting longer. If you fly in perfect no wind conditions, you can drag the motor life out. You can get in trouble though when you go to fight that gust of wind or need that extra uummpphh to get out of trouble and its not there.
JIMJAM is offline Find More Posts by JIMJAM
Old Jul 02, 2003, 10:01 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,515 Posts
I've yet to wear out a IPS motor...and I've flown the heck out of one in particular, but a buddy had one die in a few flights. It just quit working. Power/duration was just fine one flight then the next nothing..... replaced the motor and all was well.

When my speed 400 motors "die" they do so slowly. The power, duration slip is VERY slow. Eventually they make a weird squeeling noise. That's how I know it's time to replace, and then the difference is VERY noticable.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Jul 02, 2003, 11:03 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
I just lost an IPS/DXA in my Tiny-X. It died pretty slowly. Over about a weeks worth of flights ( 2 a night or so on NiMH) I noticed I had to keep advancing throttle to get same results. Then last week during a glorious day where lift was booming all over, accompanied by breezes and drop, I noticed I just couldn't maintain altitude. Figured I was hitting the falling air as she had been getting bumped about pretty good.
Next day she couldn't fly at all. I think this particular motor was poor from the start. Never had the same oomph of the other DXA's I have.
I thought that these motors died quick. I guess not always. Thanks for this post.
-David-
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Jul 03, 2003, 09:36 AM
Plane hugging cat
Mackay Queensland Australia
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
I wore out my first IPS not long ago. It had 20 hours on it almost to the minute. That's running on 6 nimh cells and 10x8 prop no heatsink. It looks like the brushes just wore out so I don't think a heatsink would have helped in this case.

On it's last throws there was a LOT of glitching. I thought the radio was on the way out. Also a loss of power for the last hour or so. Could barely ROG when normally it would leap off the ground.

I have another IPS with over 22 hours and still going.
Vonbaron is offline Find More Posts by Vonbaron
Old Jul 03, 2003, 11:53 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
One of my IPS A drives is doing the slow death thing. It barely gets my Tiny-X off the ground. It used to fly fairly briskly. I don't know if the problem is using 8x370 packs or it is just a bad motor. Has only 2-3 hours on it, so it probably isn't the brushes. Will take it apart when it finally dies. Will be putting an M100 on the Tiny-X anyway since I want more power!!!
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:31 PM
Minnesota USA
Joined Oct 2001
82 Posts
When it works its way off the mounting stick on your Tigermoth and the wires pull off! At least thats how it worked for me. LOL
E-Minn is offline Find More Posts by E-Minn
Old Jul 03, 2003, 12:44 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by E-Minn
When it works its way off the mounting stick on your Tigermoth and the wires pull off! At least thats how it worked for me. LOL
I nearly had that happen to me with my Von Baron (plane in the avatar). It was tight when I first jammed it on but temperature and humidity made it loose. Luckily I caught the problem just before it came off. Now I drill a hole and run a wire through the mount and stick to stop it happening again, even if it's tight at first.
Old Jul 07, 2003, 04:44 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
My motor is fine! I had changed props and in my haste put it on backwards. I'm amazed it flew at all. With it on right it flies just fine once again.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Jul 07, 2003, 05:58 PM
D W
I love you man.
United States, NY, Pelham
Joined Sep 2002
2,743 Posts
10Thumbs,
Isn't the Tiny-X just TOOOO much fun???! Ever fly it in the wind? I had mine out in really gusty conditions over the weekend. When it started snap rolling with no input on my part I figured it was too gusty.

In conditions like that, altitude is your friend!

-David-
D W is offline Find More Posts by D W
Old Jul 08, 2003, 10:23 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,744 Posts
I have a 300C that seemed a bit down on power and was getting more gitches. I've recently been flying my Beav with a faster, heavier wing and a 10X8 prop so asking for way more amps. Last night I switched back to the stock wing and the 10X47. It flew just fine. Brushes may be almost done I think. It has around 1100 minutes (18 hours) on it.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Learn the ICAO alphabet anyone?
Old Jul 08, 2003, 02:07 PM
Plane hugging cat
Joined Sep 2001
1,355 Posts
You have 18 hours on a 300C? That must be some kind of record!? Don't they usually burn up in about 5 hours?
Old Jul 08, 2003, 02:28 PM
WEST KY
Joined Mar 2003
46 Posts
IPS DUAL 4.8D

I run several IPS dual D drives on 2c E-tec 1200 lithium with a 12x6 prop. I had 16 hours loged when it started to need more power than usual to hover my sulkayln (lookalike). I poped the rear motor housing off and the brushes were wore out to the metal holder. The 2nd motor still had some brushes left.
I have about 15 hours on another on and it is still O.K. At 22.00 a piece I say 15 hours is good enough for me.

I pull about 4 amps in a hover, don't run very much over that 1/2 stick mark. I also run heat sinks but can't say they have helped.

Brandon
AIMING@U is offline Find More Posts by AIMING@U