HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:35 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Aug 2010
47 Posts
Question
Dassault Alpha EDF jet from HobbyKing

Is this plane for beginners, if not, then what is recommended?
can-am flyer is offline Find More Posts by can-am flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:01 AM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,498 Posts
HobbyKing - Dassault Alpha Fighter RC Jet (7 min 14 sec)
Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:18 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Aug 2010
47 Posts
Thanks for the video Larry Dudeck I am pretty sure that this is a nice, docile plane to fly as my first edf
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:38 PM
crash rc plane is my job....
Florence area,Tuscany, Italy
Joined Jan 2009
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by can-am flyer View Post
Thanks for the video Larry Dudeck I am pretty sure that this is a nice, docile plane to fly as my first edf
i have this model, it's very pretty, very docile to fly, low cost. Only problem is the hinges of moving parts, really bad, not disassemble I put tape for hinges and works very well , the epo is good...Look like a high wing trainer, landing is very simple. I have tried to change the EDF with a more powerful unit, but does not agree ... there's no improvement in performance. Consider also that the wing, elevator and rudder are removable, very useful. Good choice for first edf!

Roberto
bobby67 is offline Find More Posts by bobby67
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:45 PM
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Aug 2010
47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby67 View Post
i have this model, it's very pretty, very docile to fly, low cost. Only problem is the hinges of moving parts, really bad, not disassemble I put tape for hinges and works very well , the epo is good...Look like a high wing trainer, landing is very simple. I have tried to change the EDF with a more powerful unit, but does not agree ... there's no improvement in performance. Consider also that the wing, elevator and rudder are removable, very useful. Good choice for first edf!

Roberto
Thanks Bobby67, That really relieves me that I have now finally "Found The Pot O' Gold over the rainbow". LOL I've been searching for a beginner EDF like this for two months now, and WOOHOO, I found it
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:23 AM
Joined Feb 2010
1 Posts
Alpha Jet Control throws.

Hi,
I have the FMS ( Cum Hobby king ) 70mm fan Alpha Jet but cannot get any info as to the Aileron and Elevator Surface throws. Can anyone advise.......bemused from England............ By the way a GREAT FORUM.
euphonium64 is offline Find More Posts by euphonium64
Old Sep 28, 2010, 06:43 AM
The Netherlands, Utrecht, Amersfoort
Joined Oct 2004
2,192 Posts
Now available in black/green (see movie in 2nd post) and blue/red

CrashingDutchman is offline Find More Posts by CrashingDutchman
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:00 AM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,490 Posts
Hey! That HK Alpha 70mm jet has been coined the T-28 of EDF's at our field. It is the easiest flying jet, I highly recommend to beginning EDFers. The 3s pack is a dog but a good 2200 4s pack gets her around for a good 4.5 min flying easy and 3min full bore. Lands nicely with no quirks and great predictability. imho. probly does a good 65mph on 4s
Tom
ApexAero is offline Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Sep 28, 2010, 01:56 PM
Joined Jan 2009
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexAero View Post
Hey! That HK Alpha 70mm jet has been coined the T-28 of EDF's at our field. It is the easiest flying jet, I highly recommend to beginning EDFers. The 3s pack is a dog but a good 2200 4s pack gets her around for a good 4.5 min flying easy and 3min full bore. Lands nicely with no quirks and great predictability. imho. probly does a good 65mph on 4s
Tom
With the original edf unit i used a 4s 2200 40c, good choice for this model...easy to balance, but with new edf unit (sapac edf+motor) i use a 4s 3000 35c.The model takes off better, it is a bit more performance in the vertical climbs ... the speed should be more or less that. Quote all the rest.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 04:02 PM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,490 Posts
Bobby67,
It looks like you have a grass field. How does it take off the grass for you?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:56 AM
Joined Jan 2009
307 Posts
Quote:
Bobby67,
It looks like you have a grass field. How does it take off the grass for you?
we have a grass field, take off it's easy...about 80-90 meters of run and go....no problem with this jet.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:07 AM
Noank, Ct.
Joined Dec 2003
17 Posts
Wing Issue with this Alpha

I had about a dozen flights on one of these. On the last flight while up high, the right wing half broke off at the wing root during a roll. It had been a nice docile flier, pretty slow as expected. Suggest some bridging with carbon fiber or plywood across the wing root area. Good Luck
lphelps is offline Find More Posts by lphelps
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:52 AM
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,490 Posts
Did you sand the paint off the wing joint before you glued it?
I saw the fellow selling his f-35 that the wing blew off and it looked like no paint was sanded off. Paint on the foam doesn't allow good adhesive contact.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:52 PM
Joined Jan 2009
307 Posts
Quote:
Did you sand the paint off the wing joint before you glued it?
I saw the fellow selling his f-35 that the wing blew off and it looked like no paint was sanded off. Paint on the foam doesn't allow good adhesive contact.
The junction of the wing is certainly a weak point. I usually remove the paint with sandpaper, I make small holes in 2 parts with plenty of epoxy glue (uhu or zap , in my opinion the best) or gorilla glue (in this case is too fluid, the best is 5 minutes). You can put bits of carbon tube in the joint before gluing about 3 inches long, 2 are enough. Sometimes I use a glue-type thixotropic called "Master of the ax" (something like you would find in the U.S.), it is a gelatinous glue for boats, is great for polystyrene, does not run and dries in one hour. Tenacious bonding ! Happy flight !

Roberto
Old Oct 30, 2010, 08:30 AM
How close are those trees?
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Apr 2008
1,911 Posts
4000mAH 4s

I see this edf has quite a large battery tray.

However Ihave some Turnigy 4000mAH 4S 20 C lipos already.

Would they be too heavy for the Alpha Jet?
Goody63 is offline Find More Posts by Goody63