Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:43 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,121 Posts
I'd double check your pushrods at the paperclips for binding. With big throws, it looks like they'll interfere. I really don't see them as being necessary. Best place to support the pushrods is in the middle, if possible.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:05 PM
More computers = More fun
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
I checked all the throw and they do not interfere at all.

Thanks!
Dellagd is offline Find More Posts by Dellagd
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:38 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Looks really good. When you wiggle you're control surfaces back/forth and up/down are they tight with no or very little play? I'm most curious with your ailerons since they have a pretty big gap. The tape used on the hinge line might be stiff enough to hold them tight. The concern would be possibly sloppy control and potential aileron flutter.

I'm looking forward to a flight report. It looks like a neat plane.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:08 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Yes, and that my only concern.

I could re-tape then really tight to the wing, but would that help?

PS, how mush is a "little play"
1cm, 1/2cm, 2cm?

Also, how much force will be on these surfaces? I mean, I can make then flex a bunch if I push hard, so where do I draw the line?
Last edited by Dellagd; Sep 10, 2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Physics gets you dates
Yardley, PA
Joined May 2009
35 Posts
EZ Connectors

With respect to how much is, "a little play", I would have to see. 1 mm or two of free movement is okay, and certainly do not expect a rigid setup.

Make sure that the linkages cannot come lose (the z bends). I do have a few of these that will fix it, unless the z bends hold geometry fine enough.

It appears I failed at importing the image, but that is what I am referring to.

Oh, and the plane looks good. Can't wait to wring it out and get some carbon in the tail.
RCEverything is offline Find More Posts by RCEverything
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:50 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Are your ailerons and trailing edge of your wing cut at a bevel? I can't tell for sure from your picture. I always lay a flat straight edge right along the trail edge of the wing and then the lead edge of the aileron and cut them at a bevel (approx 45 degrees) and then tape them with very little (if any) gap. 1 or 2 mils of play shouldn't be a problem.

Roughly (very) like this (red being the tape):

Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:43 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Ah, I see.

Yes they are cut at a bevel.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:02 PM
United States, MD, Ellicott City
Joined Mar 2008
1,198 Posts
I think i am going to purchase this plane for my first 3d plane. Could you tell me how the assembly is out of the box?
beginner4life is offline Find More Posts by beginner4life
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:10 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
Everything looks fine to me. I'd say go out and crash it

BTW, when taking close up pictures, make sure you have MACRO mode turned on, and plenty of light, otherwise turn the flash on and zoom in a bit
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 10, 2010, 07:23 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress.. View Post
Everything looks fine to me. I'd say go out and crash it

BTW, when taking close up pictures, make sure you have MACRO mode turned on, and plenty of light, otherwise turn the flash on and zoom in a bit
Um, I did have macros on

I thought the pics looked pretty good..

Quote:
I'd say go out and crash it
Already done! tossed it out in my front yard (was just gonna see if it actually flew then set it right down ) and the wind caught it. wasn't very high but landed on its top and broke a piece of foam on the top nose of the plane. Nothin a little CA and pieces of metal couldn't fix though, plus a bit of tape :P Looks good as new.

@beginner4life

Out of the box it is basically 6 EPO foam sections. The vertical fuselage, horizontal fuselage, 2 ailerons, elevator, and rudder. They say you should use adhesive tape that is included to attach the surfaces, which I didnt use, but looks like it should do the job. I used slightly thicker and wider hinge tape. Also, there is a prop, brushless motor, mounts, prop-saver system and a ESC. The servos (at least from Nitroplanes) are also included and there is the carbon pushrods w/ z-bends as well.

I think I covered everything...
After I make the maiden flight I will post a mini-review documenting how I built it and such w/ pictures since the instructions arn't exactly "in-depth"
Last edited by Dellagd; Sep 10, 2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:11 PM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,933 Posts
^Don't bother with adding tape or other re-reinforcement to it. The lighter the plane is, the better it will fly
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Sep 10, 2010, 09:25 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
507 Posts
It appears from the photos that you may have mounted your aileron control horns backwards? The hole for the clevis should be right above the hinge line to give you equal throw. Yours appear to be very far behind the hinge line. The horns look like they have an angle cut to do this but you mounted them backwards.
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:05 PM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin1205 View Post
It appears from the photos that you may have mounted your aileron control horns backwards? The hole for the clevis should be right above the hinge line to give you equal throw. Yours appear to be very far behind the hinge line. The horns look like they have an angle cut to do this but you mounted them backwards.
I think you're right.

Ah, well I can always cut 'em out and re-glue em back in, but lets see how it works first! . I read in the instructions that the horns should be 1cm away from the top of the ailerons, so thats what I did, but they are backwards!
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:56 AM
Pennsylvania, USA
Joined Aug 2010
75 Posts
Here we go!

Flew fine, but I cant exactly give it a rating because it was pretty windy (at least for a small foamy ).

It is still in one piece! Me and RCEverything (Brooks) went out to fly it this morning.

The review should come soon!