SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by yellowcolorado, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:29 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Discussion
Lets talk FunJet and Funjet ultra...

Alright guys, it seems that the original Multiplex Funjet thread was overextended and in dire need to be put to rest. Please feel free to discuss anything funjet related. (Opinions and facts are welcomed)

If you would like to refer to anything in the Multiplex Funjet Part one thread you can follow the link below:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474757
yellowcolorado is offline Find More Posts by yellowcolorado
Last edited by yellowcolorado; Sep 15, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:00 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Yellowcolorado.............
Nice idea for a FJ blog !!!!

Thank You for starting this !!!

Can I please post up a nice picture of one of my FJ's ??
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:21 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Very nice. Is there any foam under all that glass??? BTW, what materials do you use exactly to glass? I have found that minwax polyacrylic and coffee filters works alright, but im not sure it will hold up as well as fiberglass. Coffee filters are so much easier to cut into the needed shape...
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:36 PM
The Kid
Detroit, MI
Joined Dec 2007
2,587 Posts
I predict this thread has a very successful future! I can't wait to see how things change from now to when it reachs 10k posts like with the original thread. Batteries from the beginning were 2000mah 8/12C Lipos, even dare I say is Nimhs

By the time this thread becomes that old hopefully we will have new nano-based batteries with higher power densities!

Perhaps more efficient, larger, brushless motors. Or maybe something that we haven't even thought of!? It sure will be interesting!

Mopar, tell us more about your model, if you can. Hows your AUW look with a nice 1000W setup? How stiff is it? What type of servos? (if you don't mind me asking)

Kid
Thekid3418 is offline Find More Posts by Thekid3418
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:43 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
moparmyway, that is an intense looking funjet. Looks bullet proof! What kind of watts are running in that?
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:10 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Sep 2004
2,643 Posts
I don't think I ever posted a pic of mine. So here it is. Mine is still close to the original Funjet look with the exception of the red tanks.

My power setup is:

Ammo 24-45-2900 kv motor
Turnigy 40 ESC
6x4 APC Sport prop
1800 40C Turnigy batteries
Weight: 21.5 oz.

My fastest passes that I've dopplered were 107 mph on a calm day. The vertical climb is pretty stunning though - thanks to the 6x4 prop. It really holds it's speed in a cllimb (not 107 in a climb of course but it's haulin!).

The static amp draw is in the low 40's (I know I'm pushing that Turnigy) but in flight it does seem to drop a little.

I'm generally a mixed throttle flyer and really only go full throttle for hot low altitude passes.

I've got several videos... I'll try to edit together some video to post.

Anyway, here it is: (note in the pic it has a 4.75x4 prop - back when I had a smaller motor in it. but now it's running the 6x4 prop)
cjbucher is offline Find More Posts by cjbucher
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:33 PM
Joined Feb 2009
1,287 Posts
Here are the two Funjets that Im working on. My 3s FJ is the yellow one which has been "glassed" and the red one has the 4s arc 47-1.5 motor. Ive flown the yellow one many times and the red a few. Yesturday I flew here for the first time with the wingtips gone and I noticed I was having some serious issues with the plane wanting to dive before applying alot of uptrim. The COG is set on the stock location so im wondering what I need to do to get it fly level... shift battery back a little?

Of course I have to repaint both, but thats the last thing to do.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:14 AM
BLANIK213
United States, NY, Phoenicia
Joined Feb 2008
665 Posts
Hey guys this looks like a good start to a new thread hope this effort is successful in restoring what was originally intended. Blanik213
blanik213 is offline Find More Posts by blanik213
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:57 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,879 Posts
Congradulations on the new thread YellowColorado.

Wish you the best.

If everything was fine before cutting off the tanks, maybe you can start by just moving the battery back a little and see how things change.

If the plane can be flown safely...then try moving the pack a 1/4" at a time.

Hopefully the Funjet gurus will chime in with their suggestions.

I know there is a dive test which can help people set the C.G. on various planes. I first read about it in a R/C hand book, later saw it on a few different threads posted by various people.

If you have thread control use the X-Ray vision option so we can see what's in Mopar's Funjet.

I see the large diameter heat sink in his pic above.

Have fun,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Sep 10, 2010, 03:55 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekid3418 View Post
I predict this thread has a very successful future! I can't wait to see how things change from now to when it reachs 10k posts like with the original thread. Batteries from the beginning were 2000mah 8/12C Lipos, even dare I say is Nimhs

By the time this thread becomes that old hopefully we will have new nano-based batteries with higher power densities!

Perhaps more efficient, larger, brushless motors. Or maybe something that we haven't even thought of!? It sure will be interesting!

Mopar, tell us more about your model, if you can. Hows your AUW look with a nice 1000W setup? How stiff is it? What type of servos? (if you don't mind me asking)

Kid
Yo Kid !!!!!!!

AUW..............not sure as I havent put her on a scale yet, but I will this weekend and post up the results, it just wont be a 1000w setup, nothing less than 2500 watts run in that one !!!! I will have to use my 30c batts for the scale, my 45c batts went up in a great ball of fire and smoke, but the weight should be very close to "my normal AUW" on that one !!!

She is just as stiff as your normal ordinary concrete cinder block and she is running HS5085MG's
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:08 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
I know there is a dive test which can help people set the C.G. on various planes. I first read about it in a R/C hand book, later saw it on a few different threads posted by various people.

If you have thread control use the X-Ray vision option so we can see what's in Mopar's Funjet.

I see the large diameter heat sink in his pic above.

Have fun,

Gryphon
I asked about this dive test a few weeks/months back. The Ritewingers use this method all of the time, and so do I now.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8692

X-Ray vision.......?????????
What for ???????
Here is what the inside looks like
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:14 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowcolorado View Post
Very nice. Is there any foam under all that glass??? BTW, what materials do you use exactly to glass? I have found that minwax polyacrylic and coffee filters works alright, but im not sure it will hold up as well as fiberglass. Coffee filters are so much easier to cut into the needed shape...
I use several different materials depending on my build intentions. I havent tried the coffee filters yet, I didnt think anyone actually was using them. One thing I have found for sure is that Minwax (Polycrillic or anything else, I actually tried their Polyeurothane also) doesnt give the strength that epoxy does and the Minway flakes off very easily in comparison. Spending $$ on good glassing materials is a worthwhile expense IMHO, you cant go wrong with WEST SYSTEMS or something similar.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:22 AM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
Hello guys, thanks for the invitation. I feel a good energy in this thread and i wish for the best.

I d like to post a pic of a previous fj in which i love the paintjob. It really looked nice in the air, so i will apply it to my new one. I used a 0.5mm tip iwata airbrush and waterbased colors. Of course it is glassed, otherwise the paint would fade quickly.

What do you think ?

petranf is offline Find More Posts by petranf
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:36 AM
New York
Joined Jan 2009
5,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petranf View Post
Hello guys, thanks for the invitation. I feel a good energy in this thread and i wish for the best.

I d like to post a pic of a previous fj in which i love the paintjob. It really looked nice in the air, so i will apply it to my new one. I used a 0.5mm tip iwata airbrush and waterbased colors. Of course it is glassed, otherwise the paint would fade quickly.

What do you think ?
Any picture of a FJ in the air is a GREAT one !!!!
Add in those colors and you have yourself a better pics than most others, including mine (its NOT in the air).
Old Sep 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
thanks mopar. By the way , your flying field is a mystery

And an advice for those that want their plane easy to find in the air, this can be achieved when you select the opposite colors of the color wheel. Opposite colors have the best contrast . For example:
blue-orange
violet-yellow
red-green
petranf is offline Find More Posts by petranf
Last edited by petranf; Sep 10, 2010 at 06:42 AM.