HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:12 PM
United States, MA, Medfield
Joined Jul 2010
854 Posts
Discussion
Pitts Challenger, okay bipe for rusty intermediate?

Just getting back into RC after 20 years. Just finished a QuickStick and am flying it okay but not fancy yet. The thumbs will get less rusty after a few more flights. I'd consider myself beyond novice but not an expert pilot. I've had sport planes with symmetric airfoils with glow engines 20 years ago that I could do basic aerobatics with.

I want to build a biplane next. I'm thinking fan-fold EPS construction as I just did an EPP plane and want to try something else. Also I would like to mess around with this KFm airfoil thing.

The Pitts Challenger looks about the right size and style for what I'm looking for and the construction looks fun and not to tricky. But there are some comments about it being moderately hot. Now I do not need a trainer to fly successfully. I can handle something more advanced as long as it's not crazy or too fast.

This would likely be a winter build and I'd be flying the QuickStick until next spring.

So, would the Pitts Challenger be the best choice for the next build or something else?

Any other suggestions or feedback welcome.
learn2turn is offline Find More Posts by learn2turn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 03:33 PM
Your user title is suggestive,
Warner Robins, GA
Joined Apr 2006
1,805 Posts
Build the plane you want and then use dual rates and expo to make it behave. Just because a plane *can* have 50+ degrees of throw does not mean it *has* to have it.

Also, move the CG forward a bit. That will tame the pitch down quite a bit.
Xptical is offline Find More Posts by Xptical
Old Sep 09, 2010, 09:00 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,755 Posts
I think that any of Tony's planes are gonna be great flyers, and xp said, you can reduce throws and cruise or increase and acro. Just build light!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member