HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2001, 10:50 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
X250 ok for first time builder?

I was originally planning on getting the cutie as my next plane... since I've never built or covered a plane before I thought it would be perfect... however, I'm starting to lean more toward the X250...

You see, though my building skills may be non-existent, I can get my Zagi to tear up the sky and it still looks like new (no big crashes) ... So I REALLY think I'm ready for my first 4-channel ship, I'm just worried about the building and covering stages...

Also (not as important) my field is grass (short) and it sounds like the x250 can take-off from grass fairly easily, were the cutie could have to be hand launched...

Any input or suggestions?
Kosh is offline Find More Posts by Kosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:07 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,504 Posts
As for the w250, it has been thoroughly designed and is reasonably easy to build and the instructions are incredible. The parts all fit and self align. There are several jigs included. Above all else, just take your time and don't get frustrated.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:21 AM
Wakefield, MA
Joined Feb 2001
769 Posts
Sounds like you are the perfect candidate for an X-250! The kit is without comparision (with the exception of the Cutie I guess!). Everything went together perfectly with the only sanding being for cosmetics. Took me about 4 or 5 evenings to build everything and a couple of more to cover it. This was with very limited time. You could possibly go on a real bender and do the whole thing in one weekend. One of the many nice things about Larry's kit is it has all hardware included. No need to stop building because you forgot to buy one $0.80 item. The only thing better than building this plane is flying it!

As far as grass takeoff goes, I haven't had too much luck there. If the grass is real short and the ground very flat, I'm sure it would ROG just fine. Depending on which field I fly from, I usually have a baseball base line to take off from or a paved parking lot. At a third field I have neither, so hand launching is my only option, which the X-250 does easily.

Also, the kit is very easy to convert to a removable tail to make it easier to travel with. A nice feature I built in, but haven't had the chance to use yet. Got the idea from a fellow ezoner.

Good luck, you'll enjoy it.
member73 is offline Find More Posts by member73
Old Oct 04, 2001, 11:35 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,123 Posts
What member73 said.

The X250 was my first balsa/covered plane, and it has probably spoiled me for all others based on what I've read about kits where parts don't fit, things are missing, instructions are confusing, etc.

Everything is precisely laser cut so it fits perfectly, and Larry has written superb instuctions with a photo of literally every step of the construction. The only thing that isn't thoroughly explained, however, is the covering process, so you will need help with that. I built it by myself with no problems, but had a friend help me with the covering so I could learn how to do it.

As far as flying off grass, I would also agree with member73. Unless you're talking about a "golf green style" short cropped surface, the X250 acts more like a lawn mower than an airplane on grass because of how close to the ground the prop is. I haven't seen a Cutie yet, but from what I've heard you may have it backwards, i.e., I think the Cutie has bigger wheels and more prop clearance so it can probably handle a grass field better than the X250.

Neil
Neil Morse is offline Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Oct 04, 2001, 02:37 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
Go for it. Either the X250 or the Cutie would be a prefect first time kit. Everything fits perfectly. The instructions are straight forward and the results are great. The only things not included is the glue, covering material, motor and electronics.

On second thought, you wouldn't appreciate Larry's kits and they'll spoil you. You need to get into the proper frame of mind. So, see if you can find a 20-30 years old, die crunched Sterling or Guillows kit - the instructions are obscure, the wood is lousy, the fit is non-existent. After you give up on this, get an Easy? Built - good wood, bad fit, lousy instructions. Now you're ready.

Buy an X250. You will truely be able to appreciate the quality parts and work that Larry puts into his kits. Nobody makes a better, easier to assemble kit than SR.
gnofliwr is online now Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Oct 04, 2001, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
Sorry, forgot something. Just put one of these at the end of each sentence above...

6 * in the first paragraph.
in the second.
2 * and a in the third.
Old Oct 04, 2001, 02:55 PM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
Hehehehe.... thanks for the info... I think I'll probably end up with an X250 on the way to my door fairly soon....

btw - My comment on the X250 handling grass was based on the review comments on the X250 page over at www.srbatteries.com
Old Oct 04, 2001, 04:02 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,457 Posts
I only fly my X250 ROG from grass. With the standard noseleg it can act as a lawn mower if the grass gets long (2"). So I made another noseleg one nosewheel radius longer (same gauge wire). Since then no more grass cuttings to wipe off after flight, and the same brilliant model once flying. Ground roll is maybe 20 feet.
GeeW is online now Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Oct 04, 2001, 04:04 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
In case there was still any doubt, go with the x250!
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 04, 2001, 07:11 PM
Gentleman, scholar and acrobat
Poole, England
Joined Mar 2001
424 Posts
Kosh

I agree that the x250 is going to be an easy build - just because the quality of the wood is so good and the laser-cut parts fit so well. The construction is novel, particularly the wing - but it goes together easily and accurately if you follow the instructions. The only disappointment I had was when I finished and realised I had no more building fun.

If you have never covered anything before donít worry too much. There are plenty of sources of how to do it on the net and in those old fashioned book things. Some suggestions. Firstly, use a good quality covering like Profilm is easier to use than the cheaper alternatives like Solarfilm (if you can get that in the colonies). Secondly be prepared to experiment on scraps to get the correct heat setting (you can use a domestic iron if necessary) and be prepared to scrap the covering and start again if it all goes wrong - you wonít damage the airframe.

I have only flown mine from the short mown grass of a cricket pitch. But I can see that it would turn into a strimmer on grass over an inch or so. However it does hand launch easily enough.

It flys well but is neutrally stable - that is, it stays in the attitude in which it is put and wonít level its wings by itself . If you put the C of G about 1/8" in front of the suggested position and have about 1/16" of droop on the ailerons it will be quite docile. But remember to keep the speed up a little on approach or you will run out of elevator authority for the round out and hold off (at least that my experience from doing a couple of hundred touch and goes with it). I would also suggest that for the first flight you use 50% rate on the ailerons otherwise you might find it a bit twitchy in roll. Leave the elevator as suggested because of the need for plenty in the hold off.

Itís a small plane and orientation can be a problem at three mistakes high. Because of this it might be worth using a bright and distinctive colour scheme. You should have no problems though if you are competent with a Zagi. However, you be pleasantly surprised at how well a real aeroplane flies;-)

If you have any problems during construction ask questions in the forum. Remember build a left and right side and follow Larryís instructions to the letter.

Just my two Euro Cents worth,

Cush
Cush is offline Find More Posts by Cush
Old Oct 04, 2001, 08:32 PM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,388 Posts
Sure sounds like you are ready for an X-250. Only thing I wanted to comment on was the hand launching of the Cutie. I've never done it. I've been flying it stock and with my "other choice" power system. It has never been anything but an ROG for her. She takes off of grass where I must hand launch the X-250.
Ken Myers is online now Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Oct 05, 2001, 07:56 AM
Joined Jan 2001
2,515 Posts
WRT ROG, I figure that's what the gear is for. Mine uses the stock power system and has always ROG'd. I prefer to have both hands on the Tx when everr possible. The X250 ROG's easier and smoother off or dirt or asphalt but it's doable off of grass. It gets tougher as the grass gets longer, but as long as the wheels aren't sitting in a hole and will roll, the X250 with take off.

On grass I find I have to hold a lot of up and be ready to release it as soon the X250 clears the ground - the amount of up depends on the length of the grass. OTOH, the LE of the wing does get covered with grass clippings from the prop if the grass is too long.
Old Oct 09, 2001, 10:53 AM
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,219 Posts
I was away for the weekend so I just caught this thread.

Actually, I can't add much to what's been said. It's true that I don't go into a lot of covering detail in the X250 because I wrongly assumed that an X250 builder would have already had that experience. With the Cutie, I go into great detail about covering. You might want to take a look at volume R-13 of R/C Techniques on Basic Covering Techniques. I include this volume with the Cutie kit.

Larry
Larry @ SR is offline Find More Posts by Larry @ SR
Old Oct 09, 2001, 11:01 AM
Ambassador
York, PA, USA
Joined Jul 2000
336 Posts
Thanks Larry.... you'll probably be getting a call/order from me in a few weeks.... I'm still trying to fight off the urge to get it as long as I can... but the urge is building hehehhee....

I'll probably build it and get help from the guys in my club for some covering tips if needed.
Old Oct 09, 2001, 11:17 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
Kosh, Why wait? The X250 is a great plane and there is so much pleasure to be had from building your own airplane. Go for it!

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber