SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2003, 12:26 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
Wing-E motor, heatsink, will it fit?

I think I have had my Wing-E motor mounted wrong all along. I just took a look at it yesterday and the way I had it mounted the motor was towards the inside and the prop shaft towards the outside (the side of the fuse with the cutout). This left the prop shaft offset to the right considerably. If I flip the GB 180 degrees the prop shaft lines up almost dead center on the centerline of the wing, but the heatsink on the motor won't fit in the little cutout area of the fuse.

Is the cutout meant to accept a motor + heatsink? If not, are you all running without the heatsink (those of you who haven't switched to the PJS300, that is)?
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2003, 01:20 PM
St. Louis, Missouri
Joined Oct 2000
725 Posts
10Thumbs ... When I ran DXA hybrid motors on my Wing-E ... I use a PJS 300 now ... I always used a heat sink on it. I sure LOOKS like it won't fit, but the motor/heat sink actually slides right on and doesn't interfere with anything. But if for some reason yours doesn't fit, just cut the opening a little bit bigger. It's not a big deal.

Tom
columbiarcdude is offline Find More Posts by columbiarcdude
Old Jul 03, 2003, 02:09 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,938 Posts
It should certainly fit. I have always used one.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 03, 2003, 09:40 AM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Same with me before the PJS conversion, I always had a heat sink on mine. It just barely cleared the notch, but it did fit.
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Jul 03, 2003, 10:12 AM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
There was just a bit of interference on mine. I crunched the balsa a bit with a pair of needle-nose pliers and it does fit past now. The interference was only .05" or so. This may have been due to slight geometry changes in a rebuild after a crash; the entire fuse and motor mount were broken off - seemed to glue them back exactly as before.

Now for the really good news. Changed the prop from the APC 7x4 to the GWS 8x6, Etec 700 pack, and it flies like never before! Just got in from flying it and it is a blast to fly now. I'm not sure why the 7x4 APC is the recommended prop, it never flew that well for me on that prop.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs