SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 08, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
Question
Adding ailerons to balsa wing

I am trying convert my Dad's old nitro trainer into an electric plane. I think I have the motor,prop, battery stuff figured out. The plane is currently a 3 channel (throttle, rudder and elevator), However I would like to add ailerons. This was really easy with my Super Cub, however the current plane is a balsa frame wing which will make adding ailerons more difficult.

I am thinking that building a whole new wing to add ailerons may be the best bet for this plane. The current wing is ~48X9 inches (~436in^2). I looked on Mountain models and stevensaero, however most of the wings are either ~36" long or ~57". I don't have experience building models, so I was hoping to find a kit instead of building everything from scratch. However, if there is no kit i could try and build a wing but I would need plans. I have looked for plans online, however nothing has a wing with ~430in^2 of surface area.

Does anyone know of a good site for simple high wing trainer plans?

Would it be easier if I just built a whole new plane instead of trying to find a second wing?
BioJerm is offline Find More Posts by BioJerm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 12:55 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,441 Posts
Unless the old nitro model is exactly what you want, (and it doesn't appear to be as you want aileron), then buy or build a dedicated electric model is my recommendation.

Adding two more servos, (two is easier than one with push rods and bell cranks or snakes), is relatively easy. But would you be happy with the dihedral ?. Also is the front end of the fuselage oil soaked ?, is there room for the battery ?
And most of all, is it going to look good ?
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 08, 2010, 03:38 PM
Joined Nov 2009
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Unless the old nitro model is exactly what you want, (and it doesn't appear to be as you want aileron), then buy or build a dedicated electric model is my recommendation.

You are probably right. I was thinking I could save some money retrofitting this plane, but it will probably be more of a headache than it is worth. Plus I should probably start out with a nice easy kit so that I don't get too far over my head when building/covering the model.

Thanks for the recommendation
BioJerm is offline Find More Posts by BioJerm
Old Mar 03, 2014, 03:41 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,531 Posts
This is old, but here is a tutorial on adding ailerons to a balsa wing: http://hobby-on-rc.blogspot.com/2012...77539001272623
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus