HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:07 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Verenigd Koninkrijk, Fareham
Joined Aug 2008
7,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben View Post
That's odd, I find I can get away with about 85% travel on my Graupner transmitter and still reach 100% throttle.

Gerben
Yes but if you used auto throttle rather then fixed throttle on the ESC this may be a different story?

In ANY case, the ESC should have been fine. You should be able to run part throttle for as long as you like. Or until thermal shut down. That is, if the full throttle load is below or very near the current rating of the ESC (which it is).

What does present a significant problem is response speed 10 with throttle on the stick or no ramp on the TX. This has the potential for very fast changes in RPM where the ESC could fluff up and damage it self.

I would not call your setup an F5B setup but just an electric glider and ask them if response speed 10 could have caused a problem with 60.000 RPM on a 4 pole motor on tap. Insist on a FREE replacement and state that you where running within spec.

Try response 6 and you should be just fine.

Joe
jjmouris is offline Find More Posts by jjmouris
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My F5B saw tooth props
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:44 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
I have been in touch with Castle and it seems the fine people there will be sending me a replacement.

I will follow up on your advise Joe.

Thank you all once again.
plainguy is offline Find More Posts by plainguy
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:01 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
very happy to say. the ESC was already waiting for me at home. :-)

THANK YOU CASTLE!!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:33 PM
Take off, eh
USA, CA, Long Beach
Joined Jan 2009
213 Posts
Since i am going to adjust throttle response from 10 to 6 -are there any other settings I can adjust that will be gentler / kinder to ESC or motor?
I am interested in some fun and having system last a little longer not in competing or sacrificing equipment in order to win a competition.

thanks,

raul
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:55 PM
Crashing into the sky!
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,390 Posts
Anyone playing with snap flaps on their speedfire?

I have them programmed, but in a year of flying it, have never used them.. Better give it a go tommorrow
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:30 AM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackosmeister View Post
Anyone playing with snap flaps on their speedfire?

I have them programmed, but in a year of flying it, have never used them.. Better give it a go tommorrow
Yes, it is absolutely necessary, but it is very effective, I use very little and it's great!
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Jan 06, 2013, 06:43 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainguy View Post
Since i am going to adjust throttle response from 10 to 6 -are there any other settings I can adjust that will be gentler / kinder to ESC or motor?
I am interested in some fun and having system last a little longer not in competing or sacrificing equipment in order to win a competition.

thanks,

raul
Change brake ramp to "Fast".

Enjoy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:27 PM
United Kingdom, Wales, Monmouthshire
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Well, after a lot of deliberating, I've just bitten the bullet and ordered a white/fluro orange/carbon Speedfire from Petr. Want to have a crack at a F5B comp or two this year. Anybody know of any other Speedfires in the UK?

Gone for the lazy+expensive option of having the servos installed. Time to start researching and thinking about how it's going to be propelled...
TimR74 is offline Find More Posts by TimR74
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:15 PM
United States, CA, Cameron Park
Joined May 2007
1,259 Posts
Go for a HV setup. You will be happy you did.
Highfly! is offline Find More Posts by Highfly!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:27 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,164 Posts
Tim, please give me a call before you spend any more money.

Joe
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:54 AM
United Kingdom, Wales, Monmouthshire
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Joe, I've been through a few of the older setup threads and and know you'll probably advise against going HV. I'll be self launching all the time so want to run partial throttle for a couple of seconds at launch, and HV looks the better bet to stay pretty much within spec of the ESC. Running a 1512 2.5D or Jeti Phasor 2035/2100, I can always start on a light 6S pack intially then move up to 8S and finally 10S. Don't want to jump straight in with 5kW and 18inch prop on a switch.

Might start with a very light 2kW sport set up as I've got an Ice light 100 spare and chose a light motor+GB that will get used for a future project.
TimR74 is offline Find More Posts by TimR74
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:43 AM
Needs to do 52 legs !!
Joined Aug 2008
7,164 Posts
Tim, it is up to you as always.

I've got plenty of spare parts that can help get you started, even some HV stuff from when i first tried HV a couple of years ago. Got a Neu 1512/2.5D and a Hacker with Neu gearbox up for grabs.

I was going to offer you the use of my current budget drive, a Neu 1509/1Y and GM 18x23 V2 with a budget controller. You can use that with 4S, 5S and finally 6S. I've got an old 5S and a new 6S pack you can use as well. The controller has inbuilt ramping and comes with my personal guaranty that it won't burn no matter what you do with part throttle.

If you do go HV, that Jeti motor sounds like the way to go. I am infact very close to getting a 4100KV one to compare against my 67mm Hacker.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:40 AM
Grow old disgracefully!
Luton, UK
Joined May 2006
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmouris View Post
If you do go HV, that Jeti motor sounds like the way to go. I am infact very close to getting a 4100KV one to compare against my 67mm Hacker........
The Jeti is a nice motor. I liked mine so much I just bought a second one.

Dick
dickw is offline Find More Posts by dickw
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
OTA
Wannabee
Norway
Joined Aug 2008
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickw View Post
The Jeti is a nice motor. I liked mine so much I just bought a second one.

Dick
Sounds just perfect I added a 2026/3600 motor to my order from Petr which is to close to delivery. Looking forward to get my double carbon spread tow show model soon and will fly it on somewhere between 4 and 6S with a YGE 200FAI and GM 18 x 21
OTA is offline Find More Posts by OTA
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:14 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,381 Posts
Somebody please FFW me about 4 months....
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx