Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:03 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Here are some of the photos on the Green Mountain RC club field tarmac. Shot with an Olympus E-500 DSLR, Olympus OM-1 lens adaptor and my vintage 1973 silver nose Olympus Zuiko 135mm f2.8 lens - lots of light today so it was wide open!

I can't wait to get this sailplane back into the air.

studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Jan 10, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: added photo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Did you get both pilots for the g.i.joe action package?
bandit3737 is offline Find More Posts by bandit3737
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
I can't remember what package. We were shopping and I saw them, dropped in the cart. Sawed them in half to fit when I got home.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Here is my DG-1000 on display at the Lake Champlain Maritime Festival with the greenmountainrc.org club. As previously noted, the landing area, crowds and surrounding trees were too short and tight for the final glide path of a 2 Meter. I was tempted to put my Radian up over the water though... It was a beautiful day out!

Old Jan 10, 2012, 09:23 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Pre-hurricane Irene photo session

Took the DG-1000 back up today, right before Hurricane Irene is about to hit New England and Vermont. The clouds and weather you could tell was different out - 80s, humid and light 6 mph NNW winds that kept constantly changing direction. It felt like I was able to find a little lift and or nose into the wind and seems to glide well. Loads of other air traffic from club members made flying interesting. The newly clothfibre-Minwax wrapped fuselage flew wonderfully!

The new landing gear, well... works great for landing! But, not so good on take-offs in grass. Even though the grass is cut short, any resistance caused the wheel to be stuck and (while applying full throttle because of this) the wheel acted like a pivot point and just pitched the nose down. I'm sure it would be fine on tarmac. No biggie, hand launch.

Thank you to fellow http://www.greenmountainrc.org members Mark B. on the Olympus lens and Gabe on the iPhone video!

Old Jan 11, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Receiver Hookup

I ordered the DG-1000 yesterday from Tower Hobby. This probably sounds like a really dumb question, but I was puzzled with how my Futaba receiver is incorporated with the onboard mixer. The basic question is do I still need to install my Futaba receiver battery in the the plane; if so where does it go, or does the LiPo battery power the receiver and other servos? Thanks for your great information on this forum!!!!!
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:54 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
The LiPo powers everything in the plane no need for a seperate Rx battery.

The mixer plugs into one of the channels, I'll check later which one
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
The LiPo powers everything in the plane no need for a seperate Rx battery.

The mixer plugs into one of the channels, I'll check later which one
Thanks again, really appreciate the help.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit3737 View Post
Thanks again, really appreciate the help.
Hate to keep bothering you. I use to fly scale sailplanes in Southern California 30 years ago. When I moved to the east coast I sold all my planes; now getting back into the hobby, and boy have things changed with radios, batteries, etc. My question is I bought a Parkzone 11.1 V 1300mAH
15C LiPo battery for the DG-1000. Is this battery suitable or should I have purchased the battery recommended by Tower Hoblby which is a 25C battery. Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:26 PM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
Hate to keep bothering you. I use to fly scale sailplanes in Southern California 30 years ago. When I moved to the east coast I sold all my planes; now getting back into the hobby, and boy have things changed with radios, batteries, etc. My question is I bought a Parkzone 11.1 V 1300mAH
15C LiPo battery for the DG-1000. Is this battery suitable or should I have purchased the battery recommended by Tower Hoblby which is a 25C battery. Thanks again for all your help.
The Parkzone 1300mAH 15C is EXACTLY the same battery I have in my DG-1000 ! Good choice, works great I have three of them. MoF, if you watched my DG-1000 crash video one of the batteries is still going strong after nosing in , slightly dented and getting chucked out!

SoCal... nice. Family lives in San Clemente, used to watch the hang gliders on the water tower hill with the Hobie Hawks
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for the info again. Never flew at San Clemente, but did a lot of flying with scale ships at Torry Pines, Pepperdine, and a site near the Golden State Freeway form which you could see Dodger Stadium. . .had two Hobie Hawks at one time also. They looked great, but flew a little squirrely. My mom lives in San Marcos. I really do appreciate your help and this fantastic site. When I get my plane I will be doing a lot of the improvements that you have done.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
Motor Run Time

How much run time do you get with one charge on the Parkzone battery?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
Segelfliegen
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,298 Posts
Quote:
How much run time do you get with one charge on the Parkzone battery?
In the DG-1000 flights are usually between 8-12 min however, can last much longer without using the motor if you are able to find some rising thermal air. If stuck in a thermal I've had 30 min flights and the lipo individual cells are down to 3.78v, don't want to go any lower.

The same battery in my Radian is a different story. I'll routinely fly 15-25 or more.

Best to start will be to fly 6-8 min, raising and lowering the RMS pod and running the motor is not as efficient as a folding prop on a motor in the nose.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2012
7 Posts
RMS Hookup

I hook-up everything today. The RMS unfolded/folded like it should, but there was a "hum" at each position, like the servo was still engaged. Is that normal? Thanks again for your help and assistance.