HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by studioRS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:52 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Build Log
ST Models DG-1000 detailing and scale graphics project

I just recently bought the latest DG-1000 2 meter scale foam sailplane (segelfleigen, segelflug) flying wonder from ST Models, through Tower Hobbies. If you haven't seen the review by RC Groups Micheal Heer it's worth checking out >>
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279142

Foam planes are here to stay and ST Models have stepped up to the plate and created a wonderful scale version of the German built DG-1000 that not only looks good but flies well too with a Retractable Motor System.

I've decided to detail the cockpit with some pilots and give this a proper graphic application with Suisse registration. Thanks go to the DG website for the enthusiasm and support for RC modelers and the ref. line drawings. Here's my build log.
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
Last edited by studioRS; Jan 05, 2014 at 09:59 PM. Reason: typos, link updated
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:42 PM
Beaufort,SC
Joined Dec 2002
19 Posts
having a ball w/ the Dg also

I love the mods you made to your DG!
I hope you don't mind but I plan to copy you, I'll be hunting down some of my sons Gi Joes real soon :-).
Thanks,
Steve
captsteve is offline Find More Posts by captsteve
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:08 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Glad you like my scale modifications. Yes the GI Joes worked out well. I don't mind at all if you follow my path on this, the DG-1000 is a schweet plane. I'll update with more photos after I get the stickers on.
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:58 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
@Steve - I meant to say thank you for the comment

Cheers, Thompson
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:08 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Teaser pre-production image of the line graphics. Still need to receive these, apply and confirm sizing prior to making PDF for download.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:02 AM
Beaufort,SC
Joined Dec 2002
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by studioRS View Post
Teaser pre-production image of the line graphics. Still need to receive these, apply and confirm sizing prior to making PDF for download.
Those look so much more realistic than the junk that came with the kit.
I disliked the kit stuff so much I never put them on. Your teaser sheet looks like the real deal, having been around lots of full scale gliders since my teens. Can they just be printed on a sheet of white vinyl ? I've never done it before but we have a pretty decent printer that could probably do it if thats the case.
Thanks,
Steve
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:07 AM
Beaufort,SC
Joined Dec 2002
19 Posts
Hi Thompson,

I forgot to ask, what kind/brand of paint are using on the foam?
I'm always hesitant to put anything on foam after ruining some stuff in my earlier years!

Steve
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:20 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captsteve View Post
Hi Thompson,

I forgot to ask, what kind/brand of paint are using on the foam?
I'm always hesitant to put anything on foam after ruining some stuff in my earlier years!

Steve
Paint I'm using is Krylon Short Cuts, pepper red. I bought this at Michael's craft store, they are in little 3oz cans. Just prep the foam with light sanding, and isopropyl alcohol. Shoot a light coat, let dry, then build it up with another. The paint is EPO foam safe. The DG-1000 foam seems to take paint better than my Radian.

If you can get a letter sized piece of vinyl into a laser printer go for it! Yes I'm having the graphics printed on white vinyl and having the wing numbers cut. After I get this test set I'll make some adjustments in sizing and upload the PDF.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 10:35 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
I couldn't resist, sans stickers and even an Rx, I set up my DG-1000 on static display next to my Radian that I flew at our September Fun Fly yesterday. The two just look right together. What a day, thermaled up with a hawk with the Radian.
I shot these photos with my Olympus DSLR E-500 and vintage 1973 Olympus Zuiko 135mm f2.8 lens.

Last edited by studioRS; Jul 06, 2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:23 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Received the sticker set, here is a quick image.

Last edited by studioRS; Jul 06, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:41 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Weather has been wet, windy and basically turning fall. Everytime I think I'd like to fly I've got to do something. I've also been busy with daughter's field hockey team practices and games and still haven't ordered a computer radio yet. So this last weekend I spent some quality time for more graphics on the DG-1000 !

I finally got one of the wing leading and trailing edges covered up with 3M clear packaging tape and my underside registration vinyl numbers added. Weighed them before and after.

Bare wing = 5.085 oz.
Finished wing = 5.11 oz.
Fuselage with graphics (sans battery, Rx) = 14.2 oz.

Not too bad for loads more strength, looks and visibility!

Back when I first pulled the wings out of the box I was astonished at how fragile, thin and flexible they were compared to my Radian, especially at the tips! No wonder the video shows a collapse. I knew these needed the 3M tape treatment bad. I was planning to anyway because of the vinyl I wanted to put on.

Anyway, if you haven't already done this, I would suggest spending a good rainy afternoon with some scissors, x-acto #11, 320 sandpaper and cleaner. Lightly sand the little mould nubs off, and areas that tape will go down on. Clean with iso. Apply the 3M packaging tape slowly and carefully (#3850 Series Scotch Brand). AMAZING difference in wing strength and as far as I can tell on the bench, way less flexing with a slight weight increase. This also really tightened up the aileron strength too.

ps... Be careful of those bugger little wing holding cardboard pieces inside the factory box - buggered up one of my leading edges with a small 1/4" size dent !!! Grrrrr. I was determined to get it out. Boiled some water in a pot and poured over it. Worked like a top, just be careful it will bulge the foam cells out if too hot. Fortunately this happened before I put the tape on.
Last edited by studioRS; Jul 06, 2014 at 10:02 AM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:27 PM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Best to lay down 3M clear packaging tape FIRST anywhere you want to install cut vinyl, helps it stick, because it won't stick to the foam. However, the printed Oracal white vinyl does stick to the foam without clear tape.
Last edited by studioRS; Jul 06, 2014 at 10:07 AM.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:52 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
How does tape hold up?

I've just discovered your discussion of the DG1000 appearance mods and I'm curious about how the taped edges are holding up. I just purchased my 1000 and really like it but I can see even after a few safe landings in tall grass the the overall appearance will get seriously marked in no time. So, I want to tape or cover mine and your thread is the most sensible idea I've seen. Did you consider taping the entire wing and fuse? Did you consider covering with a lite film? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dale Leggett
Dale Leggett is offline Find More Posts by Dale Leggett
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:27 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Leggett View Post
I've just discovered your discussion of the DG1000 appearance mods and I'm curious about how the taped edges are holding up. I just purchased my 1000 and really like it but I can see even after a few safe landings in tall grass the the overall appearance will get seriously marked in no time. So, I want to tape or cover mine and your thread is the most sensible idea I've seen. Did you consider taping the entire wing and fuse? Did you consider covering with a lite film? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Dale Leggett
Hi Dale, the tape is a good idea and I did consider covering the entire wing and fuselage. However, just covering the leading edges and strengthening up the undersides is all that is needed. This should help with abrasive grass on the fragile foam. Yes, you must clean the foam surface well before applying tape. The only drawback to using tape is the temperature differences (and or compression of a hard landing) between the tape and foam sometimes create wrinkles. Easy enough, just remove the tape and apply mild hot water to reexpand the foam and then repair and reapply tape.
Last edited by studioRS; Apr 10, 2011 at 09:19 AM.
Old Apr 09, 2011, 10:55 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Feb 2011
4 Posts
mods to DG 1000

I think your ideas are great! But, I have to ask a couple more questions. I assume the tape is 2 inch and wraps the leading and trailing edges? Did you put a 2 inch strip on the approximate spar location on the bottom of the wing? Did you add any tape to the tail sections? Thanks very much for the reply and your efforts.
Dale.
Dale Leggett is offline Find More Posts by Dale Leggett