HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2010, 10:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireHobby Tech View Post
Randall,
Every quad seems to have it's own unique personality. Believe it or not, you can add sub-trim via your radio with no detrimental effect! I would just neutralize your trims now, and add a little sub-trim until it can hold itself there for a few seconds.

Keep in mind that your "hands off" trim may change every time you plug in the quad... it just depends on how level you have the quad when you plug it in and let the gyro initialize.

Team Empire
That's what I've found out. I first got into quads with a Walkera UFO 8# and it's the same way. They all behave just a little differently. I'm sure my Gaui will handle differently once I get my apc's and my FY20A. Then I'll have to relearn the tweeks all over again.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2010, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
...I would love to go out and fly under the lights tonight but the bears have been really active this year and I really don't want to fend off a 400 pound black bear with my 330. ;-)
Yikes!!!
To fly, or not to fly... sometimes such a simple question is a tough call!!!
EmpireHobby Tech is offline Find More Posts by EmpireHobby Tech
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:05 PM
Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
Where o they sell the sponge tape? I hate to say it but I used all of mine.

Keith

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmpireHobby Tech View Post
Sounds like you guys are all learning the tips and quirks needed to troubleshoot your quads!

- Vibration: The GU-344 is very sensitive to vibration. I just saw a thread where a guy lost the sponge tape from the kit, and just double-sided taped the gyro to the frame. It did not fly well for long!!! He found the tape, re-secured the gyro and all is well.

Team Empire
keithdubya is offline Find More Posts by keithdubya
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:13 PM
Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat
Arlington, TX
Joined Sep 2007
144 Posts
Quote:
...I would love to go out and fly under the lights tonight but the bears have been really active this year and I really don't want to fend off a 400 pound black bear with my 330. ;-)
Yikes!!!
To fly, or not to fly... sometimes such a simple question is a tough call!!!

I am glad the worse thing I have to worry about here in Texas is mosquitoes. Have you considered mounting a 30 30 on your quad?

Keith
keithdubya is offline Find More Posts by keithdubya
Old Sep 13, 2010, 01:53 PM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdubya View Post

Keith
Hi Keith,
Unfortunately, the only way to get the actual Gaui sponge tape is in the gyro box itself. However, check your local hobby shop for something similar. Standard tail gyro vibration dampening tape should do the trick.

Team Empire
EmpireHobby Tech is offline Find More Posts by EmpireHobby Tech
Old Sep 13, 2010, 03:01 PM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
I appreciate all the tips. I did two things; one, I flipped the dip switches an made sure that I was in X mode and Cru, then two, I reprogramed the ESC's for a third time. I am not sure which it was but the 330 is now flying stable and capable of hands off for 10 sec. I think that the switches may have moved slightly during transport and resetting them may have been the key, but who knows. I trimmed it out a little and reduced the D/R by 10%. I am now going to add my FY 20A and start flying on my 3S packs. If that works well, I will start to add my video equipment back on. I would love to go out and fly under the lights tonight but the bears have been really active this year and I really don't want to fend off a 400 pound black bear with my 330. ;-)
Glad to hear its finally working for ya!
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:01 PM
AMA 754
Phoenix area
Joined Apr 2004
1,615 Posts
Quote:

Keith
Check this out: http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=5054
BobRCnut is offline Find More Posts by BobRCnut
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:08 PM
Bay Area, CA
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
Just starting my 330x build...is there an easy way to clean off the white residue that is created by the CA?
sfbbqguy is offline Find More Posts by sfbbqguy
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:19 PM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,006 Posts
Quote:

Keith
I have flown my 330X quite successfully with the GU344 secured by hook and loop velcro. I found in my case at least that it didn't make any difference whatsoever in the flight characteristics if I used the foam tape or the two part velcro, each one seems to give an adequate amount of vibration isolation.

This is a test flight in the backyard using the velcro'd GU344 and a GoPro strapped to my head. Note that hitting the tree branch had nothing to do with the way the GU344 was secured...
Gaui close quarters flying (2 min 41 sec)

YRMV...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Last edited by RTRyder; Sep 15, 2010 at 03:25 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 03:55 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I would also think that some black foam tape like they use to wrap pipes in would work. I've used that quite a bit to vibe proof cameras. A little spray 3m glue works pretty well to make them into a sandwich. I've found that 2 layers are more than adequate.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:23 PM
Powell TN
Joined Jan 2008
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I would also think that some black foam tape like they use to wrap pipes in would work. I've used that quite a bit to vibe proof cameras. A little spray 3m glue works pretty well to make them into a sandwich. I've found that 2 layers are more than adequate.
Good Idea Randall .... I have flew my 330x for atleast > 4.5 hours . I get 9.5 mins out of 1100mah 3s hyperion battery .... I have had troubles at all , and love this thing. I took the gyro out , and stuck it in another frame , somewhat larger , and with a little different gyro setting it also flew well .....

Terry
KAMAX-T is offline Find More Posts by KAMAX-T
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:08 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAMAX-T View Post
I took the gyro out , and stuck it in another frame , somewhat larger , and with a little different gyro setting it also flew well .....
Im looking to do the same thing... if Gaui doesn't make a bigger quad and beat me to the punch! lol
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Sep 15, 2010, 08:21 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbbqguy View Post
Just starting my 330x build...is there an easy way to clean off the white residue that is created by the CA?
Don't bother, you'll be re-gluing them every time you bump the blades.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Sep 15, 2010, 09:06 PM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
You can get CA disolver at your LHS.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Sep 15, 2010, 10:48 PM
Thermals the path to elevation
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jul 2004
3,229 Posts
Finger-nail polish remover or acetone will dissolve CA.
RotorCycle is offline Find More Posts by RotorCycle