HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:11 AM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,650 Posts
Dwayne,

How is your green wire connected? Have you "carefully" adjusted the gyro's gain pot? Most users have it between the 9:00 & 10:00 position.
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:53 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I'm having to add quite a bit of "up" trim. It's been this way ever since I got mine. Is this normal? Should I add a bit of weight to the rear arms?
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:41 AM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,159 Posts
I am having trouble again with the GU344 on my second 330X-S. My first one arrived with a defective GU344 which was replaced by Empire. That 330 was lost and replaced by a second one. The build was uneventful and the esc's were programed individually and the rotational direction checked. The GU344 was mounted per the instructions and I have an FY 20A mounted next to it, which is not connected for the initial flights, but they do not touch and there is no lead induced vibration. I have plugged the green lead into port 5 on the GU344 and set the unit in cruise mode. I set the initial gain at 90 degrees from 0. I cannot get the 330 to hover, it will only flip. I am at the end of my experience after setting up two of these quads. Do you have any suggestions to help me? Thanks!
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Jun 2004
89 Posts
Hi There;
My green wire is connected to channel 5 on my Futaba 9Chp receiver. When I flip the gear switch, the gyro light goes from green to red...so I would assume that it is working correctly?? I have tried a number of gyro settings and the pot, does not seem to make a difference when it comes to the wobbling of the unit. The sweet spot does appear to be about 9:00 on the gyro as you have indicated.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks!

Dwayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaBob View Post
Dwayne,

How is your green wire connected? Have you "carefully" adjusted the gyro's gain pot? Most users have it between the 9:00 & 10:00 position.
Air-Wolf is offline Find More Posts by Air-Wolf
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:01 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,650 Posts
@Dwayne,

I do not have the green wire plugged into my receiver, just plugged back into the extra slot on the 334 unit. I turned gain on the pot up until I had visible wobble and then turned it down until the wobble went away.
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:05 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I'm having to add quite a bit of "up" trim. It's been this way ever since I got mine. Is this normal? Should I add a bit of weight to the rear arms?
I found that battery placement was critical. I install the battery and then hold the gaui by the center of opposing motor plates.. if it balances I test the other two, if it leans to one side, I move the battery until it balances.

You might try moving the battery. Marking the center of the battery in each axis with a sharpie is not a bad idea.

I've seen some qaui's with camera installed in the front (unbalanced). Not sure how these fly without massive trim adjustments.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:06 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,879 Posts
Quote:
@Dwayne,

I do not have the green wire plugged into my receiver, just plugged back into the extra slot on the 334 unit. I turned gain on the pot up until I had visible wobble and then turned it down until the wobble went away.
Sounds perfect to me.
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:07 PM
LOAD "FLIP360FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I am having trouble again with the GU344 on my second 330X-S. My first one arrived with a defective GU344 which was replaced by Empire. That 330 was lost and replaced by a second one. The build was uneventful and the esc's were programed individually and the rotational direction checked. The GU344 was mounted per the instructions and I have an FY 20A mounted next to it, which is not connected for the initial flights, but they do not touch and there is no lead induced vibration. I have plugged the green lead into port 5 on the GU344 and set the unit in cruise mode. I set the initial gain at 90 degrees from 0. I cannot get the 330 to hover, it will only flip. I am at the end of my experience after setting up two of these quads. Do you have any suggestions to help me? Thanks!
Have you calibrated the ESC's with gain set to ZERO and green wire unplugged on the 344? Also, have you reset the ESC's to default settings?
Old Sep 11, 2010, 09:26 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I have mine hooked up as per directions, with the green wire on channel 5 of my receiver and the gain at half way. I've tried unplugging the green wire completely but mine refuses to fly this way.
With it plugged in and the switch so that the red light is on it flies very well. If I unplug it, the quad flips over. If I turn the gain off from my tx it also does not want to fly.
(actually I just found out that it does fly with the green light on, but it's not quite as steady)
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Last edited by randall1959; Sep 11, 2010 at 09:31 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:33 AM
Kyalami, South Africa
Joined Jun 2006
1,509 Posts
Quote:
Hi Ed, when you say 90 degrees from zero, where is that exacly? The 0 point or off position in mine is at 4 oclock if you are looking at the GU with the writing up the right way. It needs to be at 180 degrees from the 0 position or 10 oclock for it to have smoothest flight. Also what pack are you using? a 2000 mah 2 cell is the best for no wind conditions and initial setup. I find 3 cell best for wind, but it does cause some low frequency oscillations (wagging).
kyalamikid is offline Find More Posts by kyalamikid
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:52 PM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
I am having trouble again with the GU344 on my second 330X-S. I cannot get the 330 to hover, it will only flip. I am at the end of my experience after setting up two of these quads. Do you have any suggestions to help me? Thanks!
Hi Ed,
I might have a solution for you! Please double check the dip switches on your GU-344 Gyro. Check out the picture below... If you look closely, there's two insignias on the right side of the dip switches; one for "X" mode and one for "+" mode. Double check that your switches are both 'up' in the "X" mode.

I had the same thing happen on the first quad I built. Couldn't figure out for the life of me why the thing kept fighting and flipping over. It was like I didn't even have time to react before it just flipped. Then I started fiddling around with those switches and discovered what the "X" and "+" meant.

Let me know if that helps out any!

Team Empire
EmpireHobby Tech is offline Find More Posts by EmpireHobby Tech
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
@Dwayne,

Sounds like you guys are all learning the tips and quirks needed to troubleshoot your quads!

For Dwayne's question, I was going to bring up the following:

- Gain: GorillaBob's explanation is excellent. Turn up the gain until it starts to wiggle, then back it off slowly to your personal prefence

- Center of Gravity: Make sure your quad is as neutraly balanced as possible (in the dead-center of the machine).

- Vibration: The GU-344 is very sensitive to vibration. I just saw a thread where a guy lost the sponge tape from the kit, and just double-sided taped the gyro to the frame. It did not fly well for long!!! He found the tape, re-secured the gyro and all is well.

Team Empire
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
Randall,
Every quad seems to have it's own unique personality. Believe it or not, you can add sub-trim via your radio with no detrimental effect! I would just neutralize your trims now, and add a little sub-trim until it can hold itself there for a few seconds.

Keep in mind that your "hands off" trim may change every time you plug in the quad... it just depends on how level you have the quad when you plug it in and let the gyro initialize.

Team Empire
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:06 PM
Joined Aug 2010
31 Posts
oops. I'm a goober and forgot the picture for Ed!!!
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:40 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
9,159 Posts
I appreciate all the tips. I did two things; one, I flipped the dip switches an made sure that I was in X mode and Cru, then two, I reprogramed the ESC's for a third time. I am not sure which it was but the 330 is now flying stable and capable of hands off for 10 sec. I think that the switches may have moved slightly during transport and resetting them may have been the key, but who knows. I trimmed it out a little and reduced the D/R by 10%. I am now going to add my FY 20A and start flying on my 3S packs. If that works well, I will start to add my video equipment back on. I would love to go out and fly under the lights tonight but the bears have been really active this year and I really don't want to fend off a 400 pound black bear with my 330. ;-)
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: DJI Accessory Pin Out