HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:17 PM
Joined Sep 2010
5 Posts
Discussion
Apogee Elite or the ELF mini dlg?

Hi,
I never flew a DLG before, so this would be my first, in fact I am a complete beginner in RC flying. nevertheless, I am considering one of these as a first DLG:

The ELF (140 Euro + 40 for S&H):
http://www.fvk.de/Elf.html
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1283654

and the new Apogee Elite (300$):
http://www.flyecm.com/inventory/Apogee_Elite.asp

From your experience what would be more suitable if at all for a beginner in terms of ease of flying and building ? (at present I want to keep the building time to the bare minimum).

Do you think I should be another DLG?if so which one? would you consider the Blaster/Blaster 2/Ultegra/Gladiator as a first DLG?

Thank you,

Shlomo.
shlomok is offline Find More Posts by shlomok
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:06 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
My first DLG was the Apogee, not the Elite, just the basic Apogee.I'd been flying for 15 years when I got into DLG though. It was great. But I wouldn't spend that much on a first plane. Maybe the Mountain Models DL50 or the QuickFlick II or Wright Brothers Gambler AG. You'll save loads of money and tons of frustration, especially if you've never flown much. I'd also probably start on something that isn't quite as specialized as a DLG. Maybe a small hand launch like the Zephyr would be good. No matter what anybody tells you, a good hand launch (overhand throw, like a baseball) will fly just as well as a DLG. Not trying to guide you away from DLG, just thought i might save you some repair time. I just had another thought. The 2 meter Fling flies great if you keep it light and there's a bare minimum of build time with it! it's also not very expensive. Good luck and happy thermals!

Hoss

PS-- have you got somebody to help you with your first flights?
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:57 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
My first DLG was the Apogee, not the Elite, just the basic Apogee.I'd been flying for 15 years when I got into DLG though. It was great. But I wouldn't spend that much on a first plane. Maybe the Mountain Models DL50 or the QuickFlick II or Wright Brothers Gambler AG. You'll save loads of money and tons of frustration, especially if you've never flown much. I'd also probably start on something that isn't quite as specialized as a DLG. Maybe a small hand launch like the Zephyr would be good. No matter what anybody tells you, a good hand launch (overhand throw, like a baseball) will fly just as well as a DLG. Not trying to guide you away from DLG, just thought i might save you some repair time. I just had another thought. The 2 meter Fling flies great if you keep it light and there's a bare minimum of build time with it! it's also not very expensive. Good luck and happy thermals!

Hoss

PS-- have you got somebody to help you with your first flights?
I was buying into your story until you brought up the "fling".

The "fling" is barely worth flinging into the trash...

To the OP. I have flown both and prefer the elf.

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:50 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
251 Posts
2m Fling not the Fling DLG... Different beasts....
areid is online now Find More Posts by areid
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:54 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,290 Posts
Build a Mimi from Fans Buhl. He'll send you the plan and its an wasy build. Costs about $40 to build.
Another good choice is the Gambler. Easy to build and fly.
You don't have to spend a fortune to have fun and catch thermals!
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Sep 08, 2010, 04:06 AM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by areid View Post
2m Fling not the Fling DLG... Different beasts....
Aaarrrrrggg! More flings!

Lol, good to know they are not all as nasty as the DLG version...

Charlie
cptsnoopy is offline Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Sep 08, 2010, 05:52 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Puslinch
Joined Apr 2010
2,611 Posts
+ 1 for the gambler

flying rudder/elevator in the beginning makes a lot of sense. R/E `s are forgiving and prepares you better for A/R/E
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:04 PM
Brisbane, Queensland Australia
Joined Oct 2009
173 Posts
You say you are a complete beginner at RC, so I would suggest you join a club that has a leaning towards gliders/electric assist/DLG, and learn to fly on their trainer. If that is not an option, get a plane like an Easystar, and find someone who can teach you to fly. Once you have accomplished this, then I would think about DLG. If you try DLG without some aquired skill level, then I think you will be heading for a world of pain and disappointment.
Not trying to rain on your parade, most things that are good and exciting in life require some investment in time and persistence to achieve.
Good luck! DLG is great, I am a recent convert, but I suggest you gain some flying skills first.
Mark
mark_ar is offline Find More Posts by mark_ar
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:14 PM
Colombia, Valle del Cauca, Cali
Joined Mar 2010
49 Posts
I started with a radian, from zero experience in RC. It took me five times IN THE CLUB with THE INSTRUCTUR to feel confident. The instructor saved my glider one time when a strong wind came.

A fiend of mine took the short path and in the second time tried it alone. The result a broken fuse in three.

The best advice is to start with someone than can teach you. And a simulator if you can.

The motor is also a plus when you are learning because it can give you second chances.
DrIli is offline Find More Posts by DrIli
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:31 PM
Steve
USA, PA, Marysville
Joined Nov 2009
419 Posts
I bought a Fling HLG 48" [not dlg] for my 1st glider. It flies decent, takes a beating,easy to transport,and CHEAP enough to replace.It got me used to the controls, especially when its coming at you, and learned quite a few do's and donts.I repaired it several times, retired it and got another one. Now I moved up to breaking DLG's [not fling dlg's]
I consider the price I pay as training. Tuition keeps going up
saddlesore is offline Find More Posts by saddlesore
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:35 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
O H I O
Joined Jul 2007
1,442 Posts
Oh my God did I just read all this?where is the fork i was eating with so i can plunge it into my eyes.
Gavin Trussell is offline Find More Posts by Gavin Trussell
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:41 PM
hass-alfed and bass-ackwards
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jun 2008
5,239 Posts
Shlomo, don't mind Gavin. We usually keep him well medicated, and locked up until contest time, when we let him out for his "recreation time." He also still destroys DLGs on a regular basis.
carlsoti is offline Find More Posts by carlsoti
Old Sep 08, 2010, 08:42 PM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
328 Posts
put the fork down and back slowly away
scottrod31 is online now Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:19 PM
Thermal Naked!
United States, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2007
1,632 Posts
I wouldn't even let my ex-wife fly a Fling DLG!!!!!

Now, the secret to the 2 meter Fling is to re-cover the wings with a lighter material, slide EVERYTHING as far forward as possible, hook up some carbon fiber pushrods and (this is the silly part) stick a flattened cigarette butt under the rear of the wing. I quit smoking in November though so I suppose now I'd go ahead and make a permanent little lift back there out of balsa. It'll hand launch as well as an old school HLG and float like a butterfly.

I did realize that I forgot my all time favorite javelin type hand launch up above though.. CR Aircraft Climax with the polyhedral 7037 airfoil wing. You can NOT go wrong with that plane!
Hossfly72 is offline Find More Posts by Hossfly72
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:21 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossfly72 View Post
I wouldn't even let my ex-wife fly a Fling DLG!!!!!
No one suggested that he buy a Fling DLG.
There are three models of Flings.

The Fling HLG.
The Fling DLG.
The Fling 2 meter.
The HLG and 2 meter are decent flyers if setup OK.

For a Newbie, I'd vote for the EasyStar to start, and the Gambler AG after you have developed some flying skills.
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher