SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:20 PM
Doug
Crappy Weather, Ohio
Joined Apr 2005
4,432 Posts
Question
Canister mufflers from China

I am seeing a number of listings on ebay and elsewhere for canisters w/flex headers for DA and DL engines. looks like they would be around $115 or so per can so you could fit a DA-100 for $230 plus mounts.
Does anyone know anything about them?

Here is one ad:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canister-Silence...item3a5b272674
WinginIt is offline Find More Posts by WinginIt
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:37 AM
United States, CA, SYLMAR
Joined Nov 2007
147 Posts
Yes I do know a little about them, they work great on the canister end and were patterned after a KS canister. The only but is the flex on the header, they require a lot of work once you get it in the shape and position you want if you do not want it to come apart or leak, you need to solder (silver with a torch) and then wrap in Teflon. It is time consuming but once you have it done it works well. It is almost worth ordering the setup then also ordering a pair of headers alone from DA and tossing the headers that they send in the back of the toolbox for a later project, it would save you a bunch of money and you would have the headers for a couple 50cc projects, that is about all ones with that much flex are good for.
GmanBill is offline Find More Posts by GmanBill
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:25 PM
Doug
Crappy Weather, Ohio
Joined Apr 2005
4,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanBill View Post
Yes I do know a little about them, they work great on the canister end and were patterned after a KS canister. The only but is the flex on the header, they require a lot of work once you get it in the shape and position you want if you do not want it to come apart or leak, you need to solder (silver with a torch) and then wrap in Teflon. It is time consuming but once you have it done it works well. It is almost worth ordering the setup then also ordering a pair of headers alone from DA and tossing the headers that they send in the back of the toolbox for a later project, it would save you a bunch of money and you would have the headers for a couple 50cc projects, that is about all ones with that much flex are good for.
Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Old Oct 02, 2010, 06:01 PM
Turkey
Joined Oct 2005
178 Posts
This is the version to smoke?

Canister Silencer Header for RC Model Plane 42cc - 65cc

thx
boolat is offline Find More Posts by boolat
Old Oct 07, 2010, 03:08 PM
Washington
Joined Apr 2010
46 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanBill View Post
Curious about this procedure. I have one and the flex part of the header (most of the header) is one solid piece. The flex part is like an accordian, the only way it would leak is if it broke. Think of a flexible water line for a hot water heater. That is probably the closest thing I can think of to relate it to. I see no need to solder and wrap this style of header.
vwchad is offline Find More Posts by vwchad
Old Nov 01, 2010, 03:53 PM
Doug
Crappy Weather, Ohio
Joined Apr 2005
4,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vwchad View Post
Curious about this procedure. I have one and the flex part of the header (most of the header) is one solid piece. The flex part is like an accordian, the only way it would leak is if it broke. Think of a flexible water line for a hot water heater. That is probably the closest thing I can think of to relate it to. I see no need to solder and wrap this style of header.
Most of the headers, Chinese or not, seem to leak at the flex joints after a while. That's why most people wrap them.