HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:23 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
give me a few min i'll knock out a plan for it .
last pic is just dubro heavy nylon and brass ball joints
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2010, 09:59 PM
Registered Foam Addict
United States, TX, Rockwall
Joined Jun 2006
103 Posts
Here's some pics of the one I started it's not fully completed yet.
rc cal is offline Find More Posts by rc cal
Last edited by rc cal; Sep 25, 2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:29 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
rc cal you went laminated fuse ?
cool . did you use updated laminated fuse images ?

:: snice here is my idea for ball joint TV mount . it's not twin gimble as that needs R&E
you are allready elevon , this mount is elevon mode for servos on top of wing .
flip upside down for under wing servos.

not the torque bar will be needed for motors with some guts . it should not cause too much diflection with E ch inputs . you simply cant run a good motor without it or ball joints will twist and you will have randome TV .. LOL
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:33 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Looks great, rc cal -- can't wait to see her finished... is the fuse boxed or laminated? either way, it has great lines!

...added wing fences-- only two on the top side of the wing to start. Thought about adding them to the bottom too, but I wanna see how the top ones work out first. The are about 3/4" outside of the wing-strake break -- and go all the way back to the control surface. For now they are removable, they just slip into slots in the kf sections.
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Sep 25, 2010, 10:48 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Looks great, Prime_8 -- was wondering how the E deflection would work. What program do you use to do that? Can't wait to see the forward swept version!
Old Sep 25, 2010, 11:01 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
i do it just in a 2d paint . my 3d max is at home .
lol
that was real draw pro.
i use it to make textures and such for my 3d models in computer games.

e deflection is how the both , elevons work. so down e pushes the top ball joints back, that pushes motor to down , and opposite for up E.
and l & r Al' is each ball puls or pushes , spinning in lower ball.
the bottom ball is just a special hinge. and the socket , is fixed relative to fuse .
but you can set it's length by turning on pushrod end . that sets trim for E mix.
forward sweep , i'm unsure about % sweep to tip chord lenght .. so reading .
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:18 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc cal View Post
Here's some pics of the one I started it's not fully completed yet.
LOL....You read my mind. I was working on the same 45degree stabs and removalble rockets to prevent them from getting damage on some not-so-perfect landings. great job on a cool looking mini FJ.

Mayday.
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:27 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime_8 View Post
mayday whats teh longest you have held a horisontal roll with her ?

can she continiously corkscrew through the air with your setup.

I usually take her way up until shes just a tiny speck, and the dive down to a corkscrew pretending I don't have control and then pull up last minute before you I hit the deck......and wait for the crowd to say: ohhhhhhhh you that was close.WORKS ALL TIME!

mayday.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 02:33 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
ah so you get good vertical . i wa sthinking how teh sukhoi spirals along just above ground .. LOL
i wonderd if this wee beastie coudl manage it for any sustained distance . i figure you CG was good by you envelope tests. LOL
Old Sep 26, 2010, 08:42 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Well, thank you guys so much b/c the cg adjustments and wing fences made all the difference. Went through two packs this morning with the cg back (closer to its original position after my bare airframe glide tests). Also added the wing fences as Prime_8 suggested. The strakes were definitely forcing air outward along the wing -- the fences put a definite stop to this! Followed Mayday27's advise and did an inverted test -- all went well. With the CG back further, the launch was a breeze -- there was no initial dip -- she flew straight off with some torque roll. Inverted was also nice and controlled with just a touch of down elevator to stay level. Rolls are now truly axial. The speed envelope has definitely increased, or rather widened. At slower speeds, she no longer "twitches" -- and the tail does sit a bit. The control surfaces are much more effective at slower speeds now. I can maintain level flight at less than 1/4 throttle. She is even more twitchy at speed now. Also -- I need to find a happy medium for trim b/s if I trim for slow flight, she climbs at high speed, and vice versa. Thanks again guys! It feels like a newer, MUCH lighter plane! Man, I love this hobby - the learning never ends!
Old Sep 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
trim , can your dx5 mix throtle to elivator , like 5%
so whe you punch it you get a small proportional E deflection to counter it?

but again that climb is an expected side effect of the strakes. I should have been more clear on that . strakes make a good deal of lift , and they bully the air a bit on micro sized planes.

glad it worked for ya. pop a pic or vid when you next get a chance .
Old Sep 26, 2010, 04:19 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
forward sweep idea

forward sweep idea i have .. it's still rough ... but at a point i thin could grow for collective ideas. LOL
Old Sep 26, 2010, 07:26 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,020 Posts
Cool!I will definitely follow you on that one, Prime_8, as I have never experimented with forward swept wings (YET!).

Here are the installed wing fences - they made a HUGE difference:
Old Sep 26, 2010, 09:15 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
very cool .

als if you look at original plans i did provide for dove tail under fuse stabs / prop/ hand gards. LOL

but i think i like your rabit ears style verts .

the new plan there has larger vert stabs with slotted wing . but i'm leaning closer to the way you did it .

as far as forward sweep teh wing is supposed to be more efficient and the le of the wing forces air back over wing rather than away off the tip . that said i think i have the chord too thick at the tip .

+ i will be building this micro using hybrid boxed fuse . i will have foam fillets that will let me sand deeper into the corners , i think it is the best trade off looks & strength & ease as all the fullsize box fuze planes are doing very well. i attribute that to an enhanced lift body effect .
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:02 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
Well, thank you guys so much b/c the cg adjustments and wing fences made all the difference. Went through two packs this morning with the cg back (closer to its original position after my bare airframe glide tests). Also added the wing fences as Prime_8 suggested. The strakes were definitely forcing air outward along the wing -- the fences put a definite stop to this! Followed Mayday27's advise and did an inverted test -- all went well. With the CG back further, the launch was a breeze -- there was no initial dip -- she flew straight off with some torque roll. Inverted was also nice and controlled with just a touch of down elevator to stay level. Rolls are now truly axial. The speed envelope has definitely increased, or rather widened. At slower speeds, she no longer "twitches" -- and the tail does sit a bit. The control surfaces are much more effective at slower speeds now. I can maintain level flight at less than 1/4 throttle. She is even more twitchy at speed now. Also -- I need to find a happy medium for trim b/s if I trim for slow flight, she climbs at high speed, and vice versa. Thanks again guys! It feels like a newer, MUCH lighter plane! Man, I love this hobby - the learning never ends!
AWESOME! I'm glad it worked out. I love my Mini FJ I can't wait to finish my version 2...SOON after I finish my Kronik2010 bird.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1312008

Happy flying,
mayday.