HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2010, 05:30 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
That looks Killer! Good luck on the maiden(I Know she will fly). Nice job on the f-18 strakes.

mayday.
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
looks wicked Snice .

hope you have a great maiden ( with nice vid .. LOL )

look slike you made strakes removable , in case they suck .

but i think if you have upped the wing area enough , teh loading is much lower , and you may just wlak it rite on by the camera .
if you get that ugly wing woble tape some 1/4 inch fronterrons to reduce AA on LE in outter 25 % of wing .
that will allow for better slow .
if you can hold off those tips from stalling .

: thinks self nuts for even figuring ways to make a funjet slow fly .. LOL :
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Sep 22, 2010, 03:57 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
it's kinda hard to make a funjet do High alphas because of the motor location, plus these birds are made for precision high speed passes.

If you want a simple high alpha machine with no gyros using just two servos and coupled control surfaces use the F-18 and build it light. Heres my entry on LS high alpha experiment. it's Dave Superpowers Approved!
Mini F-18 High alpha set-up (1 min 20 sec)

Happy flying,

Mayday.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 04:48 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
nice.

LOL i fugure i am just hunting for a jack of all trades .. LOL

ripper fast , areobatics & slow fly for nice pics and hovering like landings .LOL
Old Sep 22, 2010, 06:35 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
me too! I want it all in one airframe! I had a second attempt today --tried to put her up in too much wind -- just couldn't wait. She went up, wing caught the wind and she banked in. Broke my prop (I had switched out the prop saver --). Also cracked the nose a bit. All minor damage... but I'm grounded until I get a new prop!!!! I was thinking exactly along the lines of Prime 8 -- that the additional wing area would allow her to slow down and keep the nose up. I figured it would be a higher speed high alpha -- very similar to what the F-18 EDF that she is pictured with does. ...can't wait to get a new prop!

Prime 8 -- Here's an F22 EDF conversion that I made that has a wonderful speed envelope. She can go fast as well as slow down to a crawl... this is what I was looking forward to with this little jet!:

F-22 Parkjet R/C 64mm EDF: Low & Slow High Alpha (6 min 29 sec)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Sep 22, 2010, 07:58 PM
I like EPP
Victoria BC Canada
Joined Sep 2005
186 Posts
That is a Supper Nice EDF conversion SNice, just what I am looking for , didn't think EDF could fly that slow, may have to build one .
Thanks for the Video.

Matk
matk is offline Find More Posts by matk
Old Sep 22, 2010, 08:19 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
very cool .
exacly sort of flight i woudl be looking for , EDF ,hmm who would have thunk it . LOL
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:28 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
heres another example of an all around flier, FAST, SLOW, HIGH ALPHA, and aerobatics maneuver. This is a free plan from our good friend Scott of RcSuperpowers. If you want a simple build with an awesome flight envelope this is the bird for you...

RcPowers X-31 Redonkulous flight envelope. (5 min 6 sec)

....like I said it will be hard to achieve this flight envelope with the funjet because it's a rear mounted bird. If you notice all birds that does slow high alpha are MID-MOUNTED birds, also the prop wash makes them easier to steer while they are on a high angle attack.

Mayday.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 11:34 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Got in another few test flights today on a different prop. I substituted a gws 5043 - less top end but gives more thrust and less amps -- worked well. All flights ended in disaster but I learned a lot! The cg is much further forward of where I thought it would be. Once I got the cg sorted out after several belly slide crashes, she flew great... Until I tried to turn! It was like trying to fly a dinner plate! I'm thinking that my rudder mod to allow for larger control surfaces moved the vert. Fins too close to the cg -- so I'm essentially flying without vertical stabilization. Looking at it -- it makes a lot of sense. It completely skipped my mind as I was putting it together! I think I'm gonna have to move them back and attach them to the fuse or make a single, large fin as far back a possible. Perhaps I will add small fins on the bottom as well...
Old Sep 23, 2010, 03:12 PM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
try this .. at extensions to top TE of your rudders,

add 1 - 1.5 inches more to teh top 1/2 of your rudder ,

& or add wing fences , 1/2 way down your wing usin 1mm depron or styro plate make wing fences .
in fact try wing fences first .. easy to make and ajust ,
teh extra long LE strakes could be causing air to be pushed or slip off the wing .

from what i tested on my small one . teh strake seems to be opposite of most rc things where we have to make control surfaces a bit larger than scale to work at our sizes , the average span of the strakes seems to work well when they are narrow , but long toward steh nose.
ie look at % of WS teh strakes on a F18 are vs actual WS.

now the other thing i want to try is a lifting body funjet , mostly body and not much wing , so yeah ok a missile .LOL
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:07 PM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
347 Posts
This will be on my list after I get current project finished. Trying to decide between the mini scale as I have the same AXN motor or scale it up to use this 51g motor http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...s_Motor_3400kv Any ideas how big the w/s should be for the bigger motor? Or would it be overkill? I already have one and I was going to build a 24" Rafale (from you other thread Mayday). I had already built a 20.5" which is ready to retire. It had the AXN in it. BTW that motor works awesome on a 3 cell 500mah and EP4540 prop.
Thanks for posting another great idea.

Russ
boardman is offline Find More Posts by boardman
Old Sep 23, 2010, 06:58 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
You're welcome Russ, That motor will be OVERKILL...Built it with 250% scale from the original drawings(see my post #54), and then use that combo you just posted. That's a very good combo, use the rafale motor spining a 4540 prop with 500mah 3s holy smokes batman! build light and you will have a rocket in your hangar....my rafale is resting rigth now, the wind finally calmed down....but when a typhoon comes around the rafale flies!....oh yeah the mini funjet on the videos were both flying with just 2s lipo!(650mah) I can imagine 3S!

here's one way to shave some weight:
I use olfa hole cutter to remove foam on the center fuse.

mayday.
Last edited by Kronikpilot; Sep 23, 2010 at 07:39 PM. Reason: added pic
Old Sep 23, 2010, 09:13 PM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
347 Posts
Yeah the big motor is scary fast - it's currently on my Speedy http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1081760 but I wanted to put it on something a little more relaxing to fly and yet still enjoy the pure power of it. I think I will just go with your tested setup. I will be using 5 gram servos and the 3 cell so my weight will be a little more. The AXN with that setup is a nice powerful setup, but it still gives me about 7 min flights with everything getting just warm enough but not hurting anything - drawing about 12 amps.

Will post my finished plane when done of course but will be a while. I am printing now
boardman is offline Find More Posts by boardman
Old Sep 24, 2010, 07:23 AM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
cool alrigth! I've seen you build pretty clean lines, this mini Funjet will not disappoint you.
Please do post pictures when you're done.

Mayday
Old Sep 24, 2010, 08:29 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
Finally had a success today! What a blast! I ended up moving the fins as far back as possible and it worked like a charm.... got it on video -- uploading it now -- but it's taking FOREVER!!!!