Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2010, 09:58 AM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
Try again, I just edited the post. I had embeded it wrong.
boardman is offline Find More Posts by boardman
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:01 AM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
you may be a bit nose heavy, so maybe trim the canards pointing down a bit, or the elvators pointing up a bit. Flew realy nice without canards though!
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:18 AM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hey Russ

Thanks for the video, my god, your jet has got some power hasn't it. What a difference the canards make, it looks so stable when you fly nice and slow. Well done with the build, it looks and flies fantastic.

Regards
Andy

BTW.. I've got to say, great flying skills.
Aero Andy is online now Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:21 AM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
I'll play with the c of g a bit. I know it's still not dialed in but I've only had a few flights on it so far. Just heading out to the club field now. There may be thrust issues too (notice the launch).
Old Oct 10, 2010, 10:22 AM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
Thanks again Andy
Old Oct 10, 2010, 11:13 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
looks great.

awsome video .

rule for canards , that is proprotional to your build ..

1 as the canard is supposed to be on main wing plane with all of teh whole craft . the bittom TE of the canards should be on bottom of the deck of foam at that point .
the LE should be between a 1/8 and 1/4 of a foam thinckness you are using up from that levels on the canard LE ,

I'm waitting on power plant to get min in the air .. oh and some nice wx , Eaatcoat ' N I have had ugly WX last week or so . LOL
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:32 PM
Scratch building addict
United States, CA, Felton
Joined Jan 2005
654 Posts
OK I really like the looks of this jet and the flying videos. I especially like the smaller planes since I like to fly on a smaller field. Any comments as to whether this will fly within a smallish soccer field lined with trees? Or does the airspeed have to be kept too high to manage small areas? How slow will it go?

Also, I noticed someone said AUW before adding gear should be 25-30 grams, but early on it was stated that 6mm depron is used. Is depron really that much lighter than say dollar tree foam and fanfold ? I think both of those are also around 6mm and it seems like it would be difficult to make the plane that light, but then again I usually do 25-26 inch wingspan birds.

I'm debating between this and a mini lazy bee as my next bird....I know, opposite ends of the spectrum there, but I'm hoping I can make a lazy bee copy that can do some loops and maybe rolls, I know they can fly in small areas. Perhaps a Cutlass jet is a good compromise with its large wing area (for a jet).

Thanks for the great plans and photos, man it looks sweet !
rotagen is offline Find More Posts by rotagen
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:04 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardman View Post
Here we go. Has the maiden (fail), then flight with and without canards.

http://vimeo.com/15703049
I enjoyed that video THANKS FOR SHARING RUSS! ...this is a perfect video demo for learning FLIGHT CHARACTERISTICS!

Maiden clip was not a failed attempt, it was a learning experience it was just tail heavy.

Flight without canards was on rails and super awesome, that Primejet8 have power with that set-up and still able to slow down nicely.(hey Russ with your awesome flying skills, I think this set-up suits you)

Flight with canards was also awesome and another learning experience. See how slow she can go without stalling. The speed is also really good.

....There you have it guys, choose your own poison. It depends where you fly and what style of flying you want to do YOU HAVE A LOT OF OPTION FOR THIS JET

Happy flying,

Mayday.
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
Last edited by Kronikpilot; Oct 10, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 05:10 PM
BOXFUSE KING!
NO WIND CITY GUAM U.S.A
Joined Jan 2009
981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotagen View Post
OK I really like the looks of this jet and the flying videos. I especially like the smaller planes since I like to fly on a smaller field. Any comments as to whether this will fly within a smallish soccer field lined with trees? Or does the airspeed have to be kept too high to manage small areas? How slow will it go?

Also, I noticed someone said AUW before adding gear should be 25-30 grams, but early on it was stated that 6mm depron is used. Is depron really that much lighter than say dollar tree foam and fanfold ? I think both of those are also around 6mm and it seems like it would be difficult to make the plane that light, but then again I usually do 25-26 inch wingspan birds.

I'm debating between this and a mini lazy bee as my next bird....I know, opposite ends of the spectrum there, but I'm hoping I can make a lazy bee copy that can do some loops and maybe rolls, I know they can fly in small areas. Perhaps a Cutlass jet is a good compromise with its large wing area (for a jet).

Thanks for the great plans and photos, man it looks sweet !
Hey Rotagen, I would suggest primejet8 with canard, if you have been flying for a while it should be an awesome bird to play around with, and it's really cheap to build.

mayday.
Kronikpilot is offline Find More Posts by Kronikpilot
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:00 AM
shredding the skies
Wet Coast Canada
Joined May 2005
346 Posts
Prime 8 - you are a canard guru. Thanks for all the tips - I have some adjustments to make based on your last comments.

Mayday - thanks for the comps. It was better at high speed before the canards - like you said "on rails" but with this wing loading, it really needs the canards for control at the lower speeds. I think I can have the best of both worlds with a bit more tweaking here. Today was so windy, nothing could be analyzed. Just burnt holes in the sky - this pocket rocket sure does scoot!

Rotagen - I only used 6mm on the main wing and 3mm in everything else. The foamboard is a bit heavier from what I hear but you can strip off the paper and make it lighter. And yes, this can putter around a ball field if you keep a light build and use canards. Not nearly as easy as a Lazybee would but you can't compare the two. I have a small 5oz or so Lazybee that I could fly hands off. I would give it some left trim and set down the tx and with the right amount of throttle it would just keep doing 30 ft circles. Good for a laugh
Old Oct 11, 2010, 01:24 AM
Lawn dart pilot/builder
N.L. Canada
Joined Jun 2010
2,337 Posts
-- ah .. i'm waitting for motor esc & lipo ...

I can't wait to get a 1.25x of original size up in teh ari and forward swept wing at that ..

i reconfrimed my AUW shoudl be 98g.

now something i noted .... and will prolly do next a 1.5x or 2x is not a whole lot more mass and higher wing area .. better loading .

i woudl love a UM sukhoi to xfr guts from , for a micro version .

als o i have my franken motor to try .... from a LG DVDrom .. LOL .
Prime_8 is offline Find More Posts by Prime_8
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:03 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
Hey guys -- look at this! This just caught my eye in one of the advertising banners... The WS is listed as 24". Its at modelaero.com. Time for me to open up shop too! LOL (seriously!)
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:16 PM
Crash it first, Then fly it
The Big Apple
Joined Jul 2008
536 Posts
I've always dreamt of selling kits. I would have a cnc, and I could make a milion bucks ( and planes) a day!

Are the profits good in the business?
Griffindor is offline Find More Posts by Griffindor
Old Oct 13, 2010, 07:23 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,018 Posts
don't know... I've seriously thought about it as well... At $45 for the airframe -- I'd say the profit margin is pretty high!!! Knowing what I know now, I''d say that's kinda steep!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice