HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:29 PM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
626 Posts
Discussion
what are the odds my ufly will come back to life?

so i was flying my ufly, i got a little clost to the pool and a breeze took it right into the pool. it sank right away so we tried useing the skimmer to get it out and then i just jumped in to try and save my baby. when i took it out of the water the fiago speed control was beeping, i disconected it right away. i blew the electronics out with a little dusting spray. should i dare to reconect the battery? wiat 24 hours? it was a super ufly, its 100 buxs if i need new electronics or i can buy a stock uflys for 100. grrr i just got it flying great. whats do you guys recomend? what parts you think are toast? im thinking the servos, motor, and battery should be salvagable?

Thanks
Hot_Wheels is online now Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:31 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
so i was flying my ufly, i got a little clost to the pool and a breeze took it right into the pool. it sank right away so we tried useing the skimmer to get it out and then i just jumped in to try and save my baby. when i took it out of the water the fiago speed control was beeping, i disconected it right away. i blew the electronics out with a little dusting spray. should i dare to reconect the battery? wiat 24 hours? it was a super ufly, its 100 buxs if i need new electronics or i can buy a stock uflys for 100. grrr i just got it flying great. whats do you guys recomend? what parts you think are toast? im thinking the servos, motor, and battery should be salvagable?

Thanks
There is a very good chance its salvageable once completely dried out - numerous people have dunked their heli's and dried them out and found they worked fine once dry, there was one lad who dumped his rex into a pond and it took 3 months to fish out and it still dried out fine.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:48 PM
Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
Joined Mar 2003
883 Posts
I'd wait at least 2-3 days just to make sure. You hear about people dunking their phones, or getting their laptops wet, a percentage of the people had no problem reviving it after waiting it out. I'd wait it out a little longer. In the mean time, lube all the metal parts so they won't rust and seize. You can also get some pure isopropyl(spelling) alcohol or electronic board cleaner to flush/clean the electronics, especially the motor. I use it to clean audio circuit boards after i am done soldering, it cleans it very well, and safely. You certainly do not have to do that, but I would for the motor.

I hope your ufly works again! Please keep us posted.
Samay is offline Find More Posts by Samay
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:51 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
The issue is not the water itself in most cases but the contaminants in the water which cause the board to corrode etc.

Get some 100% alcohol and take the rx, esc etc for a good swim in that...then leave to dry in a warm spot for 48hrs...don't be tempted until you are certain things are beyond dry!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=swim
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=swim

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:30 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2010
1,611 Posts
When I planted my Walkera LM3 in a swamp. The electrics were submerged. I left it in the sun for a few days, before I attempted power up. Scary things happened with throttle input. After this I pulled the RX apart and found it still held water. I washed the board with some PC board cleaner spray then blew it dry with some compressed air. Fired up nicly after that no problems and a zero cost swim for the LM3.

Mick
Bravo47 is offline Find More Posts by Bravo47
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:05 AM
United States, CT, Guilford
Joined Nov 2008
1,419 Posts
good luck with your heli! i crashed a little micro into our fishtank (it's covered completely, except for a tiny two inch gap along the back...go figure). it did not survive this dunking. better luck with yours.......
rob737 is offline Find More Posts by rob737
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:09 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,691 Posts
Just make sure all the electrics are dry, a hair dryer can achieve this, as can washing all the parts with metho and leaving them to dry (I am not responsible for any attempt on your part to use the hairdryer on the metho it is flammable after all).
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:41 AM
Arivaca,Arizona
Joined May 2008
7,715 Posts
the drying out can take a lot longer than you would expect. Flush the electronics with alcohol and let it dry for several days. you should be OK. Lube the bearings. they will rust incredibly fast. A water displacement product such a WD-40 works great on the bearings, not recommended for the rx. Also, open the servos, so they can get some air.

regards,
Bill
Air Vaca is offline Find More Posts by Air Vaca
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:12 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
I've dunked a Solo Pro and 4#6S into a small fish pond and both survived after a 24 hr dry out. It always amazed me how they can come back.
shastamike is online now Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:21 AM
Joined Sep 2006
28 Posts
put the electronics in a bowl of rice
TopKatz is offline Find More Posts by TopKatz
Old Sep 07, 2010, 01:09 PM
Gunny
Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopKatz View Post
put the electronics in a bowl of rice
this right here.............

I used to work in a cell phone store and this was our tried and true method for anyone who dunked their phone in the water. It happened allot and 9 times out of 10 leaving the phone in a box of rice for a day or two would completely dry it out to working condition. Make sure it's minute/instant rice, not plain old rice, minute rice will absorb more moisture.

If it doesn't work you could always just pick up another uflys for $100, it will be cheaper than replacing all the electronics and then you have a boatload of spare parts.
fern420 is offline Find More Posts by fern420
Old Sep 08, 2010, 06:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
3 Posts
Trying to dry the dishes with my dad's micro RC heli I dropped it in the tub anyway, the thing still worked, even without waiting for it to become dry! But that was just a 3 channel micro RC helicopter with 1 cell.
fantasyzer is offline Find More Posts by fantasyzer
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:50 AM
United States, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Nov 2009
626 Posts
just to give everyone an update, today i powered it up and everything seems to be woring with th exception of 2 small issues, 1 have a vibration in the head mechanics, i replace both blades and im not sure what the issue is, maybe a bent main shaft? the other thing is i have a bad clicking noise comeing from the rudder, it seems as though when you push the rudder in certain points its making a grinding, at first i thought maybe its the gear bouncing off the main, but the gear looks fine. so maybe a bad servo? has anyone else expierenced this?
Hot_Wheels is online now Find More Posts by Hot_Wheels
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:31 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
just to give everyone an update, today i powered it up and everything seems to be woring with th exception of 2 small issues, 1 have a vibration in the head mechanics, i replace both blades and im not sure what the issue is, maybe a bent main shaft? the other thing is i have a bad clicking noise comeing from the rudder, it seems as though when you push the rudder in certain points its making a grinding, at first i thought maybe its the gear bouncing off the main, but the gear looks fine. so maybe a bad servo? has anyone else expierenced this?
Sure no metal parts gotten a little rusty because of the water?
SoloProFan is offline Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
Gunny
Michigan
Joined Jul 2010
202 Posts
I'd imagine chlorine cant be good for servos.........do you have another servo laying around to test?
fern420 is offline Find More Posts by fern420