HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 10, 2010, 12:29 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crucial View Post
Does anyone know what the stock motor's KV rating is?
HK site lists it as "Motor: 2607 Brushless outrunner 1400kv"

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14461

This is the same plane, comes with FMS manual even.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2010, 01:20 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I ordered the airframe only and am trying to decide what to do for power.

I have a 1000kv 2409-18t that I was going to run with a 9x5 prop on 3S but I wonder if I should use a 1400kv 2408-12T instead on 2S with the stock prop. I have 1000mah 3S and 2S batteries which should work good for each motor setup.

Has anyone used a 3S and bigger prop with a different motor?

I am also contemplating converting the elevator to a single rod by hooking the 2 sides together with a c shaped piano wire. I am also looking at cutting a top hatch out for battery placement. Would keep it in place with magnets. There certainly isn't a lot of room to stuff everything in there.

Any thoughts?
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Dec 10, 2010, 06:59 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Ya I considered cutting the hatch as well, it is very tight for space as is.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2010, 01:32 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
Single rod elevator mod.

I bent a piece of piano wire into a C shape with down turned ends. Poked the ends into the foam and then epoxied it in place. Hollowed out the foam where it will travel on the underside and it will be near invisible when the tail is glued in place.
Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:55 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Should work ok. Why didn't you remove the extra control horn?
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2010, 03:27 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I wasn't sure which side I was going to use when I was putting that together. I suppose I should have done that. I don't think it will be too hard to pop one out now that you mention it. Every gram off the tail will help. I noticed they must have added some nose weight in the fuse as I can hear it rattle ever so slightly.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 02:54 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Believe the rattling is just the esc. Was no extra weight in mine.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:31 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
I noticed the rattle with nothing installed in the plane! I have the kit version and the only thing on the plane at the time was the tail wheel. It's not a sharp rattle but more of a slight clunk. It doesn't shift very much so it shouldn't affect the CG in flight.

I finished up the build last night. I put the 2408-12 motor on with the stock prop. I went that route as the 1000mah 2S batteries I have fit perfectly. It balances right at the stock CG location but this seems to be tail heavy according to most reports.
Old Dec 12, 2010, 10:59 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
I noticed the rattle with nothing installed in the plane! I have the kit version and the only thing on the plane at the time was the tail wheel. It's not a sharp rattle but more of a slight clunk. It doesn't shift very much so it shouldn't affect the CG in flight.

I finished up the build last night. I put the 2408-12 motor on with the stock prop. I went that route as the 1000mah 2S batteries I have fit perfectly. It balances right at the stock CG location but this seems to be tail heavy according to most reports.
Ah, thats weird. I can't think what would be rattling. Its basically an empty foam fuselage. Where does it seem to be, in the nose?
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:01 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
Quote:
For the CG I've head some say it needs to be further forward that the 60mm I think is the suggested CG, bascially the first cord line on the wing, not the second. But I've not tried it yet, just something I've read.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 12, 2010, 11:05 AM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
It is in the nose for sure.

I read the same thing as well as heard Tony from Nitro planes say it on his review. In the comments it was said that at the stock CG it was too tail heavy and he almost crashed it trying to get it down. They moved it to that first line on the wing and it was much better.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 08:16 PM
Weni, wedi, Java...
Casper, Wyoming
Joined Nov 2009
1,097 Posts
I bought one of these...Very pretty!...Think a 3-cell would burn up the ESC?
Need to do the tail mods, one elevator rod and add rudder, maybe make it steerable.
Brent Slensker is offline Find More Posts by Brent Slensker
Old Jan 04, 2011, 05:21 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
I'm running a Rhino 750 mAh 3s batt in mine waiting for some 1000 mAh batts to arrive. Runs real well, mostly 1/2 throttle but has launch grunt and vertical if I need it. Pranged it on the first flight and threw a blade so running on a 8043 prop.

Cut and installed rudder gear before first flight.

Just finding it a bit pitchy, nose comes up on thrust application and may have to put nose weight back in, took it out as I found it ran out of up elevator in the flare.

Have persisted with the gear but it will come off to stop tail overs on grass landings .
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Jan 04, 2011, 10:21 PM
Coral Springs, FL
Joined Mar 2010
407 Posts
This was my maiden last month ...

F4U Corsair - Airfield 800mm (1 min 31 sec)

After a few dozen flights (& lots of abuse) I can honestly say this EPO bird is tough! I have cracked & repaired the fuse, wing, rudder & horizontal stab. She sure ain't purty no more - but she still flies!

She does fine with a 2410-12D & 3S 1250mah swinging a GWS 9050 with prop saver. I'm getting 8 minute flights.

My CG is just in front of the first panel line. I added lead weghts in the cowl to balance - I'm right at 18 oz with the 3S 1250 battery.

The stock prop seemed too small/underpowered with my added weight, but the 9X5 seems good. I used a EMP 8X6 3 blade & really liked it, but I went thru 2 motor shafts so I switched back to the 2 blade with prop saver.

I also spray painted the underside of the wing white - I was having trouble keeping orientation with all the blue .....

QUESTION - I tried a hand launch with bad results (re: cracked stab above). this is my first low wing & I quess I'm not used to holding the plane so far aft/behind the CG. Is their a trick or technique that someone could suggest for hand launching? Thanks.
gatorlynch is offline Find More Posts by gatorlynch
Last edited by gatorlynch; Jan 05, 2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 03:03 AM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,208 Posts
Gator,

I hold the fuse from above and just let it power out at about a 45 deg angle with a light upward toss. It has more than enough power but will torque roll left so I give it about 3/4 thrust.

I fly mode 1 so power up hold tx left hand and launch with right so have pitch control throughout the procedure. Has worked well with Kyosho P40 and now is good with the F4u.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET