SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Dramjet know of a good way to put this prop on this plane? It has the shaft adapters. But I don't know how I should keep it from spinning on the shaft. I guess I need a prop adapter also?
Thanks for your help!
Apphoard is offline Find More Posts by Apphoard
Last edited by Apphoard; Dec 07, 2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: because I am a noob....
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:43 PM
How do I land this thing?
United States, IN, Warsaw
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
use some washers to take up the extra space and tighten the original spinner on. friction is enough to hold the prop. just don't over tighten, I've done that and it can pull the shaft in against the bearings and it won't spin so good.
fathergoat is offline Find More Posts by fathergoat
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Ok sounds good. Hopefully this thing doesn't hit another tree lol. If it does I will just use some the electronics for my F22 scratch build. Have any of you done one of those yet? I need to pick out a good motor and battery. I think I could use the servos and esc off of this bird.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:07 PM
United States, FL, Satellite Beach
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
The 800 F4U is a great bird. I've had mine for 2yrs and have flown the thing in any weather I would fly anything else in. I glued the wing on with gorilla glue (brown) and doing so made the thing incredibly tough. I learned fairly quickly that 3s was the way to go with the 800s and upgraded to a 30amp esc and run either 30 or 40c 1000mah batts. Cut the fuse forward of the cockpit all the way to the firewall and glued the 2 pieces together and put a tongue on the forward section to make a nice hatch and accessibility to the innards. Cut out the batt tray and put in some popsicle stick pieces as reinforcement and to make a batt box exactly where needed for balance. Opened up a section of the fake engine to allow more breeze to flow through and as such drilled a hole in the underside of the rear fuse for outflow. This thing just goes and goes, I"ve added several aircraft to my hangar but will not get rid of this one. Have actually thought of getting another.
comanch is offline Find More Posts by comanch
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
I believe it can be with a experienced pilot. But I am no where close. I think I put to much weight in the nose because somewhere I read make the CG 45mm and then the elevator wasn't very responsive. But the main wing ripped off and I glued it back on. After that I the plane wants to go to the left on takeoff. Would that mean looking from the back the left wing is to far forward? Because I think that's what it looks like. Also what is reverse rotation on a prop ? Is that a pusher? Right handed would be the normal direction like this plane right?
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:45 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,286 Posts
App, I busted my stock prop on first flight 2 years ago and have used a 7060SF 2 blader ever since and continue to use this setup on my A1 Skyraider which is same 800mm FMS series. I have used a 3mm collet adapter but have had continued success with a prop saver hub, it is nice to have for the belly landings in grass which is ops normal for my rigs.
I was using gear on the F4u for a while and now have gear continually on my A1. The trick on takeoff is NOT to hit full power as the torque will yaw left on ground and then roll left when you get airborne, usually I'm not able to control the roll. My technique is to slowly apply power to about 60% and let it fly off the ground. If the power is too high it will do that left stuff and also jump off the ground. Both aircraft hand launch very well with the underarm lob, once again I hit about 60% and it gets 10-15ft (5m) high before the left roll and so you have some height to play with. Get a buddy to help so you've got both hands on.
As for the motor, you can run a motor both ways depending on the lead setup from the esc, if it runs backwards then swap two of the leads and it will turn the other way. With quad copters in vogue these days you are able to buy CW and CCW (clockwise/counter clockwise) props so essentially you could run the motor either way with the appropriate prop. Usual is clockwise when looked from the tail or from the front the blades pass right to left at the top of the arc.
I'll try to get a photo of the hub when I get onto a real computer, tablets have their limitations....
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:47 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
I took 15 grams of weight out of the 30 grams in the nose. I hand launched it and it flew really good. Except for I needed to trim the elevator up. But I didn't I guess from inexperience and I flew for about three minutes. Then while in a sharp turn avoiding some trees I lost orientation and control then crashed. It will live to fly another day though the main wing just about snapped off on one side. I thought the damage was going to be alot worse!
By the way the prop you picked out worked great!
Last edited by Apphoard; Dec 08, 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:54 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
You can glue the things back together... I had the 800 spit as well (waiting for the Durafly Spit now). Got it not long after the F4U. That thing was something else, but I just kept putting it back together and flying it. Experimented with weight and cg and eventually learned how to fly it, wouldnt let it get the better of me. Began calling it Frankenplane turned it into parts again flying combat against a PZ T28 one day. Picked up the pieces and dumped anything that didnt have electronics into a trash bin. Later that day I was bummed I did that and went back to get the parts, wouldnt ya know they had emptied the trash! Would still be flying that thing.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Foam safe CA is much better to use than hot glue right? I have some CA that should be here tomorrow but I could use the hot and fly today. But I will wait if the CA is better.

Funny story Comanch ! I am going to glue this thing back together as long as I can. It is my first plane. I have flown a trainer years ago that wasn't mine. But I have many helis. I got this plane as a freebie from HK. It works out well for them because I have ordered another Rad Jet and plan to order more.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:23 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
lately I've been using 5min epoxy. CA doesn't fill the gaps well so I find it won't be as strong. Gorilla glue is really strong but it can ooze out and takes a few hours to cure. Hot glue would work fine but it's really heavy and doesn't bond quiet as nice at the epoxy does. 5min epoxy is thick enough to fill but doesn't expand so I just squeegee off the excess, and I can get it from the local hardware store.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:55 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Mar 2012
64 Posts
Just a note about using reversed motor direction.
All these planes are built with down and RIGHT thrust.
If you use a pusher prop and reverse the motor, you really should add LEFT thrust else you are going to be having one hell of a good dive to the right!
Beware!
sjharris68 is offline Find More Posts by sjharris68
Old Dec 09, 2012, 05:07 PM
Joined Mar 2011
462 Posts
Ok I will get the 5 min epoxy.
SJ so you are saying if you look at the front of the plane. The motor on the Corsair should be pointed down and to the left a little? That it because of the right handed rotation of the prop ? I suppose it wants to push the plane left?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
The motors are set that way for many reasons, but just use a tractor prop and spin it clockwise (from behind, as if you were sitting in it). Real single engine airplanes have this as well, but it is dependent on rotation direction. As an aircraft with opposite rotation ( many were/are) would require left rudder on takeoff vs right rudder and as SJ indicated the engine/motor would have to be set left/down vs right/down. As far as glue is concerned I know plenty of people who use epoxy as well as GG. I prefer GG because it is light and strong. It does take a while to set. I learned a trick with it another guy told me about hot glue - wetting your finger/glove and rubbing over it to smooth it. Well this works with GG too, as it oozes out rub it with a wetted finger until it stops oozing out. It will be smooth and not require anything more than paint.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Feb 2012
217 Posts
I was teaching dad how to fly my beat up corsair when it hit a power line. We were on a buddy box. I noticed he was getting too close to the lines, I flipped the switch to regain control right before it hit. It's my fault for not taking control sooner. I've got her epoxied right now and she'll be right as rain by morning.

It's nice we have a whole arsenal of glue to work with. I find myself using different glue depending on the application. I just keep experimenting and finding what I like best.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
Joined Jul 2012
524 Posts
Right on Fathergoat. I've just read about a glue from Beacon Adhesives called Foam Tac. It's nothing new, although I just read an article about it a couple of days ago. So I ordered some to try out. I do think I'm going to toss 5min epoxy into my field box for quick at the field repairs, and some double sided tape (noticed an aileron servo about to fall out of the 1100mm Hellcat today during a quick check - after the first flight).