HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 10:54 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
It's pretty common for planes to snap over in a loop if you pull back too far. The answer is to not pull so much elevator. I don't know the aerodynamic reasoning behind it though.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Afternoon folks. I've been reading all through this thread as I'm going to pick up one of these birds this weekend. I think it's a good deal, found it on CL, it was listed as the RTF for 100, 2 flights no crashes. Pics looked good but will inspect it in person of course. I told them it was new for 99.95 and offered them 65 which they agreed to. So I have a couple of questions for the team of experts here:

What should I look for when visually inspecting the plane?
I plan on testing all the electronics and running the motor up as well, again, anything I should keep an eye for here?
Assuming everything checks out and I go ahead with the deal (seems like little risk for and RTF at $65) I plan to leave it pretty much bone stock, but was wondering about props. I've read a lot of posts on the issue, but hadn't seem to been able to draw any specifc conclusions on a decent replacement prop that will fit and I can pick up at my LHS. From what I've read, sounds like I should pull the stock 3 blade and go to a 2 blade, can someone recomend one from experience that will work well with an otherwise stock setup?

I'm also torn on the gear, it sounds like hand launching is as frought with adverse possibilities as gear landings are...anyone come up with a nice sled that can be dropped right after TO?

Looking forward to your input!

Michael
Neurothief is offline Find More Posts by Neurothief
Old Sep 15, 2011, 12:04 PM
USA, SE Wisconsin
Joined May 2009
2,375 Posts
As long as everything looks good, the motor spins up smooth with no problems and the servos all work as expected I wouldn't think there is too much to go wrong. There are a lot of people that have had issues with the stock ESC's on these FMS planes but there are probably just as many that haven't. It's kind of a crap shoot really. I use a 3S 1000mah on mine and run an 8x4 GWS prop on it.
crucial is offline Find More Posts by crucial
Old Sep 15, 2011, 02:02 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Crucial, thanks for the input, it is appreciated. Anyone else have other suggestions on props and batteries?

Michael
Old Sep 15, 2011, 09:56 PM
2 metre rule applies!
BOOGI, Australia
Joined Dec 2008
1,129 Posts
I run 1000mah 3s turnigy batteries and 7060 slow flyer prop. No problems with esc, prop howls a bit on launch at full power ( it flexes a bit and gets cavitation) but under hand launch works fine at 70% power. Same power for roll off ground but your sled idea sounds good as often get tail over on landing on short grass with gear on.

Elevator is very powerful and it will roll almost as quick as a wing. Did rudder mod and need a bit of lead in cowl to balance it properly. Flew tail heavy with just the battery and needs more forward cog than specified in manual.

Have fun.
DRAMJET is offline Find More Posts by DRAMJET
Old Sep 19, 2011, 12:53 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Ok guys, I got the plane, everything looked pretty good. Put about 3 flights on her this morning, not bad but busted the prop. She had an APC 7x5 on her and I tried replacing with a GWS7035. That prop didn't have enough to get her up. I have some GWS EP8040's but not sure if these will work with the stock battery. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Michael
Last edited by Neurothief; Sep 19, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 05:00 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Stock prop is a 3 blade 7x6. Having broken my stock prop I'm running an 8x6 SF prop http://www.giantcod.co.uk/slow-prop-...-p-404467.html with a prop-saver - which seems to work fine. Other 8x6 props and other suppliers are available!
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Sep 20, 2011, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Am new to this

Hey guys,

Am new to this i i got a corsair for a present.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Play_EPO_.html

So now i broke my prop trying to fly it.

Firstly can you recommend me a prop and a spinner to buy

What should i do before a maiden flight. Eg like check the cg and what not . am using a 1000mah 2s batter.

Sorry about all the noob questions
sashika is offline Find More Posts by sashika
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:23 AM
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
sashika - try checking the last post on the thread before you posted! (and various other points in this thread).
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:00 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
The thing is whats a SF prop, whats my shaft size its between 2mm-3mm. What sort of spinner should i buy ? is there any specific factor i should consider. I checked the thread i coudnt find any info on that.

cheers
Old Sep 20, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
You obviously didn't check very hard - I gave a link to my prop, and there are numerous mentions of the shaft size - try this thread search for "prop saver" http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...y=prop%20saver - you want a prop-saver not a spinner, as that will help a lot with not breaking props.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
17 Posts
Well, had my first major crack up this morning. 4th flight, going kinda rough, I don't think I have the CG dialed injust yet, and then she noses over and powers into the ground. Splits the fuse right at the cockpit. Gorrila glued her back...little less pretty but should do the trick. I do have a question for those of you who've had like crashes...my wings are a bit loose now and I'm seriously considering glueing them in place. Has anyone else done this?

Aside from that I picked up a Thunder Power 1350mAh 2S but am waiting for Bob's Hobby shop to get in a JSX to TP converter cable for me before I can use it. So far it seems the APC 7x5 works pretty well with the stock setup, though they are substantialy stiffer than the GWS props, and snap like dry twigs if they even get a whiff of ground..lol. I did see that you can get a whole new airframe from NP for 37 bucks...might have to order a couple of those to have as eventual replacements. Now that this one is got her first official cracks I'm going to start modding her a bit and see what works well for me. Sorry no pics of any of this thus far. But if you look at the ones from eariler in the thread (I think it was Frank? - correction - Tartago's) of the split bird, mine looked about the same as that.

Michael
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:00 PM
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurothief View Post
I do have a question for those of you who've had like crashes...my wings are a bit loose now and I'm seriously considering glueing them in place. Has anyone else done this?
My wing has got loose for a couple of reasons:
1) The foam tab on the front has got a bit squashed - solved by dipping it in hot water. It does reoccur, so I'm pondering reinforcing with epoxy, but in a way it's good there's some give in something non-critical, rather than busting the wing (hence why gluing the wing on, or anything more solid may be a bad idea for those of us who crash).
2) The foam holding the nuts in place has got compressed - I found I was tightening the screws more every time the wing moved a bit. However eventually a bad crash ripped them right out, so now they're secured back in with epoxy, which should be more solid.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:37 AM
Joined Sep 2011
4 Posts
Hey,

I checked around a but still not sure as to what to buy , whats ment by a 7x6 s2 . Is the shaft size 2.3mm ?
Old Sep 21, 2011, 07:50 AM
Joined Aug 2011
24 Posts
Neurothief, my wing has come loose twice, both times from crushing and then breaking off the tab that holds it on in the front. I expanded the tab with hot water and then glued it back on with gorilla glue but still had a bit of wobble in the wing. To fix that I glued on some extra foam around the tab and shaved it down until I had a tight fit.
gfnk357 is offline Find More Posts by gfnk357