Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
502 Posts
Discussion
Beacon Foam-Tac EPP hinges

Beacon Foam-Tac EPP hinges (3 min 29 sec)
squishy654 is offline Find More Posts by squishy654
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:01 PM
CMelton
USA, NC, Burlington
Joined Jul 2009
320 Posts
The Welders type glue from Lowes home improvement works very well with the epp type foam also. It is the glue in a red tube and you get 2 tubes(1 oz.each tube) for just about $5.00. It is enough from both tubes to build about 2 planes in full or more if you think it out more. Just wanted to let you know about it so you have choices.

Chris
cmelton11 is offline Find More Posts by cmelton11
Old Sep 06, 2010, 10:19 PM
Joined Jun 2010
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmelton11 View Post
The Welders type glue from Lowes home improvement works very well with the epp type foam also. It is the glue in a red tube and you get 2 tubes(1 oz.each tube) for just about $5.00. It is enough from both tubes to build about 2 planes in full or more if you think it out more. Just wanted to let you know about it so you have choices.

Chris
Thanks dude, someone at the airfield told me something similar but I didn't catch the exact glue, thanks for the info...
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:09 AM
Springboro
Joined Sep 2004
125 Posts
Hi cmelton11, I couldn't find Welder glue in the red tube like you state, but I did find Welder glue in the package of two at LOWE'S, for $3.38 1oz each made by Homax 2-Pack 1 Oz. Professional Welder Is this is the one you are talking about?
Smoke7 is offline Find More Posts by Smoke7
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:23 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Joined Jul 2002
24,061 Posts
If you want more flexibility out of a glued hinge , you don't have to run a continuous bead of glue . Just a couple dots of glue at close intervals works fine and is much more flexible, something like this ...................... or this --------------------
Tested this with HG hinges...

just FYI , we get better adhesion with Blenderm by wiping the areas to be taped with 91% alcohol first , or Acetone (lightly) to remove the slippery stuff ... The tape (and continuous glue bead ) does seal the hinge gap for better control surface response...

I bought a case of Blenderm ... gotta' use it up ...
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:52 AM
CMelton
USA, NC, Burlington
Joined Jul 2009
320 Posts

Posts: 31 Hi cmelton11, I couldn't find Welder glue in the red tube like you state, but I did find Welder glue in the package of two at LOWE'S, for $3.38 1oz each made by Homax 2-Pack 1 Oz. Professional Welder Is this is the one you are talking about?

yeah that is exactly what I am talking about
Old Sep 07, 2010, 02:57 PM
Springboro
Joined Sep 2004
125 Posts
All right!!! Thanks. I will stop by and get couple of them and try it.
Smoke7 is offline Find More Posts by Smoke7
Old Oct 19, 2010, 11:52 AM
Joined Jun 2010
502 Posts
Which section at lowes in this welder glue in? I have looked for it before without much luck...
Old Oct 19, 2010, 12:07 PM
CMelton
USA, NC, Burlington
Joined Jul 2009
320 Posts
it is near the paint section at my local store
Old Apr 05, 2011, 08:57 AM
Fellow Enthusiast
Long Island, NY
Joined Jun 2007
479 Posts
What do you guys use the Welders glue for? Is it safe for ALL foam types? Does it dry hard & clear? Just asking because if it's a good glue I may look into carrying some myself. Do you know what kind of solvent is used in it?

Personally, I use the Foam-Tac for EVERYTHING except field repairs. For a quick field repair I'm still using CA; but, I'm working with the folks at beacon on new products for our industry.

I've received some lab sample test bottles of a new product that you can either paint on, or pump spray when laminating sheets of foam. I've sent samples out to some RC GROUPS members.

I'm waiting to hear back on a quick-cure version of Foam-Tac that could be used for field repairs.

If you guys would like some Foam-Tac at reasonable prices with reasonable shipping; I've worked on my shipping calculations in PayPal and now 1~4 bottles will all ship at the low price of $2.99! FOAM-TAC

Bill
billbo1970 is offline Find More Posts by billbo1970
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:29 PM
United States, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,904 Posts
Foam Tac worked great for me, Only complaint I have is there is a little bit of "stringys". Not bad at all tho. Clean up is easy, no stuck fingers.
I just finished building a foamy and used less than 1\4 of the bottle. Goes a long way...
I tested it on some packing (eps) foam. Glued each side.. waited 10 mins, stuck together and pulled away and stuck back. Almost instant bond, enough time to get it right where you want it tho. Tried to pull it apart the next day and busted foam @ different spot.

Thanks Bill, great product @ a great price

David
Viper82 is offline Find More Posts by Viper82
Old Apr 05, 2011, 01:56 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
the beacons foam tac would work good for styrofoam hinges also.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 06, 2011, 04:37 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Billbo, Welder's is for EPP. It will melt Depron & Dollar tree foam.Not sure about FFF, but I don't think it'll work. For EPP,tho, it's the best I've used.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:10 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Ya Welders will eat anything polystyrene that includes blue or pink FFF or any other Dow or Owens Corning foam products as will Amazing Goop but both are excellent for EPP and Coroplast.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:11 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
EZ you are just down the road from me about 90 miles if that far