HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:06 AM
VALDOSTA, GA
Joined Feb 2009
62 Posts
Discussion
Quadra Q35 questions

IN my quest to shave as much weight as possible from my Extra 300S Gene Soucey, I found a website (http://www.bennettbuilt.com/page11.htm) that has an ignition points eliminator that's real cheap for the Q35. I could only imagine how much weight will be shaved from removing the magnet and module. It says no batteries so I'm guessing its not like my CRRC45 with electronic ignition. How much weight do you think it would cut and anyone have experience with these? Thanks for the help.
Christoph'
Christoph77 is offline Find More Posts by Christoph77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:09 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,210 Posts
It"s only an exchange from points to electronic ign. No weight savings as you still need the flywheel and an electronic module that replaces the coil and point. Unless you have a very old motor, it's already electronic ign. If yours has points, you'll see a wire going from the coil down in behind the flywheel. See if they have a conversion to batt. ign. That would eliminate the flywheel, lightening it up and make starting a piece of cake. They aren't the lightest motor but one of the toughest and long lived.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 07, 2010, 09:47 AM
VALDOSTA, GA
Joined Feb 2009
62 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't think I have the old points style. If it isn't shaving weight then I'll keep it as is due it's reliability for now. Starts real easy anyway but looking to shave a little wright off the front of the Extra. Will look into the CD ignition, I already have one for my CRRC motor and it works great but don't know if its worth the money. How much weight do you think it would cut?
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:00 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,210 Posts
Flywheel weighs 10 oz. so the coil may make up the weight of the CDI and batt.

Gord.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:34 AM
VALDOSTA, GA
Joined Feb 2009
62 Posts
Well that's almost a pound up front. Going to look into swapping it over now. Thanks for the help! Didn't know the flywheel was that heavy even though it is all aluminum.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 11:55 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,210 Posts
I think the magnets and counterweights make up most of the weight. I used to use CH ign for conversions but don't think you can get them anymore.

Gord.