HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:35 AM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
Discussion
Where is a good place to run RC boats in Mesa, AZ

I got a mod. weedeater boat want to run it for first run where I can i go to run it?

Thanks
Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined May 2010
33 Posts
Being new to the sport I do not know what a "weed eater" suggests. I run electrics on one of the lakes in Sun Lakes almost every Saturday morning. If you have a high noise nitro rig I understand there is some water available in Scottsdale but am not sure of the conditions. I have heard there is a monthly meet at Christopher Columbus Park in Tucson for the nitro clan.
az-boater is offline Find More Posts by az-boater
Old Sep 06, 2010, 02:47 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,735 Posts
Is there really WATER in Mesa, AZ, outside of the bottled kind---?
der kapitan is online now Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:48 PM
Mesa, Az
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Your best bet would be the pond on the northwest corner of Indian School and Hayden Rds in Scottsdale. The city has designated this water for R/C power boat use and allows us to run any day of the week. A few members of the Scottsdale Model Boaters (nitro, gas and electric) can usually be found there on Sunday mornings, testing, tuning or just playing.
PatrickM is offline Find More Posts by PatrickM
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:09 PM
The Young Man
Joined Mar 2005
614 Posts
Now see we went there first but it was posted no boating other then electric, sail or row. No gas powered planes or cars.

Granted I did not see anything about boats but I was concerned so I went to Mckellips lake cause I saw they ran a international race there, it was fine and even park rangers came by with no problems and gave us cold waters.... it was hot out there.

To many weeds there kept getting caught up .... I will post vids asap.
Excogitate is offline Find More Posts by Excogitate
Old Sep 07, 2010, 07:18 AM
Mesa, Az
Joined Sep 2004
10 Posts
Our FE group holds races at McKellips about once a month during the cooler months (Oct.-Apr.), but we have to reserve the pond and facilities with P&R. The rangers are usually cool about letting boaters run without a reservation and don't have any issues unless someone complains. The weeds are a seasonal thing and affect all the lakes, but the city cleans 'em up on an annual basis. For general testing we use Indian School, while the sail and scale boaters use Chaparral.
PatrickM is offline Find More Posts by PatrickM