HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:14 PM
MFSmaniac
Joined Apr 2008
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymannan View Post
mprasm, which foam blades are you using?
260mm blades for 22E over at Ebay. They were quite stiff at 290mm. Should be even better at 260. They're still in delivery so I can't report yet.
mprasm is offline Find More Posts by mprasm
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 09, 2010, 07:55 PM
USA, TX
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprasm View Post
260mm blades for 22E over at Ebay. They were quite stiff at 290mm. Should be even better at 260. They're still in delivery so I can't report yet.
would those be the cheap black blade that has CF pattern printed on them? I didn't know this heli can use foam blade , what is the stock blades made of?
ptt81 is offline Find More Posts by ptt81
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:25 PM
MFSmaniac
Joined Apr 2008
1,119 Posts
Yep. My SJM400 before it uses 450 main gear, swung the foam 290 superbly. If i keep the 1#A around 2500, they'll be just fine.

Stock blades are FG I think.
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:49 PM
USA, TX
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprasm View Post
Yep. My SJM400 before it uses 450 main gear, swung the foam 290 superbly. If i keep the 1#A around 2500, they'll be just fine.

Stock blades are FG I think.
I can see one big advantage of foam blade is if you crash you won't likely get hurt by the blade's debris or damage your furniture if you fly indoor and they're very affordable to learn on. I was thinking of trying either 275mm CF or wood blade (eSky King 2 blades) but they may be a bit on the heavy side. We'll see.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Jun 2010
78 Posts
What gives with the servos?

I have a Trex 250, Blade SR, 4F200, and 4G6S. I can set up my Trex and SR easily. I unplug 2 of the motor wires and set the head/swash 0 deg at midstick and linkages etc.. no problem. I do the same thing on the 4F200 and the 1#A and the servos go all wonky. I cant level them for crap. Get it set up and when you plug in the battery and the servos go crazy. Servos are not bad I got it to fly (I do love how silky smooth it is). What am I doing wrong? Is there a secret to doing set up with Walkera electronics? Any suggestions would be great.
Lompma is offline Find More Posts by Lompma
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:18 AM
MFSmaniac
Joined Apr 2008
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompma View Post
... I do the same thing on the 4F200 and the 1#A and the servos go all wonky. I cant level them for crap. Get it set up and when you plug in the battery and the servos go crazy. ...
My 1#A's RX2806 causes servo to go wonky only when battery is plugged in without a bind to the TX. Once they bind, they are normal - so it doesn't really annoy me (thought it was a bit weird). Other than that, I can do all mechanical & electronic setup properly with it. Can't remember if RX2801 does the initial power-wonky thingy, though.

I set my servo to level using the throttle hold active/on and have the linear edge to edge pitch curves in ST-1 and/or ST-2. Same thing for checking blade pitch. If it's going to take a while to adjust linkages, I just unplug the heli's lipo leaving the servo at the last position. Setting the subtrim & max/min blade pitch needs the battery plugged in. Let me know if that confuses ya.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:49 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
Im here... catching up
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Sep 10, 2010, 12:56 AM
MFSmaniac
Joined Apr 2008
1,119 Posts
Hey, Elias. Welcome & make yourself at home. Everybody, Elias here is a 1#A veteran from way back: the first version.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:14 AM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
I just finished a 1#A rebuild and decided to change out the gyro and tail servo. I ended up using the CopterX GY240 gyro and the Align 420 servo and this little heli is really, really stable now. I flew her side to side and back to hover for almost 1 min without any rudder input. Nice. Too dark to try any full pitch climbouts tonite...but tomorrow is another day...LOL.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji
Old Sep 10, 2010, 02:27 AM
Joined Aug 2010
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkfuji View Post
I just finished a 1#A rebuild and decided to change out the gyro and tail servo. I ended up using the CopterX GY240 gyro and the Align 420 servo and this little heli is really, really stable now. I flew her side to side and back to hover for almost 1 min without any rudder input. Nice. Too dark to try any full pitch climbouts tonite...but tomorrow is another day...LOL.
Nice, which tail servo mount did you use?
bymannan is offline Find More Posts by bymannan
Old Sep 10, 2010, 08:48 AM
Yes I looped the MSR post 5388
Joined Nov 2008
2,537 Posts
A good combo for the tail servo and gyro

On the cheap

The Gyro
The Servo

Now this isnt the absolute best but it certainly keeps that tail reasonably solid and it is metal gear servo and digital.

What you need to remember is that the walkera gyro is mounted on the side ie: parrallel to the main shaft

The gyro I have mentioned above needs to be mounted 90 deg to the main shaft, ie: the face of the gyro needs to point to the sky or to the ground.

There is a specific setup for it but we can cross that if you guys decide to go down that path.

Flipping the heli multiple times it stays fairly well held in position, not as good as my gy520 gyro etc that I use on the 450's but for the price you simply cant beat it.

Elias
EatAtJoes is offline Find More Posts by EatAtJoes
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:15 AM
Joined Aug 2010
357 Posts
Thank you Elias, from what I understand the latest gyro that comes with the 1#A is very good once you set if over 50% (this is from what I read).

I am about to buy some butteries, any recommendations? Also, which buttery plug it uses?
Last edited by bymannan; Sep 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2010
357 Posts
Right, so I am just documenting this if someone else finds it in the future.

The 1#A uses a 3.5mm HXT connector. To use batteries with female XT60 connectors it is best to just make a XT60 to HXT 3.5mm adapter (just made it google friendly ).

You can buy an already made XT60 male connector+wire (It is hard to solder those connectors, so buy them ready):
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...10cm_(5pcs/bag)

and some HXT3.5mm (you'll have to solder those, easy) http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9284

You can also cut the XT60 connector from the battery and solder the HXT3.5mm directly to the battery. You'll still have to make an adapter for a none walkera charger and your other helis.

As for battery for 1#A, I think I'll go with ZIPPY 1300mAh 2S1P 20C
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00mAh_2S1P_20C
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:24 PM
USA, TX
Joined Feb 2005
322 Posts
or you can just switch out to Deans plugs, i found that xt60 are a bit heavy and larger than Deans.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 10, 2010, 05:30 PM
RC Helis: My Healthy Obsession
The OC, California
Joined Feb 2007
3,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bymannan View Post
Nice, which tail servo mount did you use?
I actually mod'd the stock tail servo mount by shaving off the inner tabs on the side that is closer to the mainframe. That allowed enough clearance to install the servo and drill a new mounting hole far away enough from the original hole to hold solid. The other mounting hole (farthest from the frame) lined up so I used it. Used the stock mounting screws as well.
dkfuji is offline Find More Posts by dkfuji