HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 11:48 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
Idea
Home made UNI Joint

G' Day Folks
Recently during the SPIRO 111 building thread, Rich was saying that his idea was to try to cut cost's on the project and that a Uni joint in the UK cost around 10 pound.As it so happened at the same time I picked up one on Ebay for $ 6.00 AUD {that's cheap}.
When it arrived I thought that it was not out of my reach to make something similar. So I used what I had on hand at the moment which was some 10.mm OD Ali tube /2-56 bolt and some brass tube that is a good fit to the bolts.
I am sure that carbon or plastic tube or Square section would work just as well.The first one I made took about an Hour & the second took half that time.
I simply filed grooves in the end of the tubes,and drilled holes for the bolts.
The swivel was made from 2 pieces of Brass tube lashed together with Carbon Rovings ,then hit with thin CA.[ I am sure that strong thread or Glass rovings would work just as good ],when dry the X was cut off the end of the tubes.and sanded to fit.
A little grease in the tubes and pop in the bolts.and Bob's your Aunty
I am pretty sure this method could be used on larger models .just a matter of adjusting the size of the components to suit the job.
Some of you may think it is a wast of time when UNI joints are available in stores ,It's just that I am old school,and always enjoy being able to make as many parts of my models myself.
Happy Landings
Chris.........
I hope these Pics tell the story
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:19 AM
Joined Jan 2005
1,286 Posts
Chris,

that's a nice solution. Have you tried soldering the brass tube joint? Tht may even be more simple.

Jochen
JochenK is offline Find More Posts by JochenK
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:48 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,752 Posts
G'Day Jochen
Yes I am sure that soldering would be easy,but to tell you the truth,I never solder.
I use this method of carbon rovings with thin CA on all my U/C jobs,and it has never failed.even on my larger fixed wing models.
I also used this method when I built my two Minimum's The Carbon frame was assembled dry in stages. I know that using wet rovings can be a pain. [The last 24 years of my working life has been hand making carbon model and full size props ,so I am
very comfortable with this material]
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:23 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Thanks for sharing Chris! That's my type of stuff....homemade!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:33 PM
USA, TX, Diboll
Joined Aug 2007
224 Posts
Chris, that was a really cool idea.
Chestum is offline Find More Posts by Chestum