SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:38 PM
Joined Jun 2010
25 Posts
Discussion
One to another-scratch build.

While I am waiting for parts for my other boats and finding out that one of them is incorrect I decided to start again and do it right this time.
The one that wasn't right will become a gift for the grandson.

I am building model of the Te Hauraki, a 1920s harbour tug from Auckland, New Zealand. No plans were available so I hunted down the few pics that are out on the web and worked from there.

I started out with a set of 1/12 scale Bluebird of Chelsea plans and began to get my lines from there.

I shortened the keel and changed the rake of the bow.

After cutting out the parts I taped them together on my workspace to see how the lines looked and made many adjustments with scissors until it looked about right.

Then I did somemore cutting until it looked even better.

After trimming the bulkhead plans to shape I decided to go with oak for the ribs and cut them out of 1/4" x 1" strips I ripped off some leftover cabinet materiels.
The keel is made from the same planks with Brazilian Redwood round the stuffing tube area, Cocobolo for the piece behind the stuffing tube and Purple heart for the stem.

This is what I am aiming for, hopefully it will be close.
The Antipodean is offline Find More Posts by The Antipodean
to remove ads between posts