HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:32 PM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Discussion
BlitzRCWorks Tornado 3D vs. Blade SR RTF

Hi guys. A friend is getting ready to purchase a BlitzRCWorks Tornado 3D as his first ever RC heli. (first hobby-grade RC really) http://www.bananahobby.com/1787.html
Given my experience with Horizon's Blade series, I was wondering if the SR might be a better choice for him? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...prodDetailTabs

Obviously the Tornado looks cooler & has a belt driven tail, CF blades etc, but I was thinking of suggesting the SR instead. (will likely be hard to sway him) Also, given his situation, I don't really expect him to be purchasing any other heli's down the road, so this one has to satisfy him for awhile. He's likely to get some extra battery packs, rechargeables for the TX, and stop there. (older guy, super tight budget + nagging wife & kids, as well as a healthy PC hobby ) As always, thanks in advance!
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,200 Posts
The BH hei may look cooler but their service is nowhere near HH and so that is also something to consider. Be a shame to have a really cool looking Heli that cant fly because parts arent available or you cant get service form them.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:30 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Keyrigger's Avatar
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,380 Posts
I have seen one of those up close (with the name "Falcon" given to it by some other store/estore) and it is the most fragile thing I have seen in a long time for that size of heli. It is not a CCPM system, but a standard two servo swash, which was abandoned by most designers a number of years ago (from what I have seen) for all but coax heli's. The SR may have its foibles (I love mine and it is a real workhorse), but you can get parts at the local hobby shop and Horizon is reasonable to deal with over the phone. They have been more than helpful with any issue I have had. Take care.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:33 AM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
If he really wants a belt driven model then get a used Blade 400, there are tons of them out there and you can find them for near $300 RTF plus a few spare parts.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 06, 2010, 04:30 AM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
If he really wants a belt driven model then get a used Blade 400, there are tons of them out there and you can find them for near $300 RTF plus a few spare parts.
Naa, like I said he's pretty fresh to RC heli's & really hobby grade RC at all. I just meant that the Tornado will undoubtedly look cooler to him, due to things like the belt driven tail etc. I feel he really needs something new, with a training type mode already setup & all that jazz. BTW, thanks everybody for the replies, you're confirming what I figured. I've no personal experience with either & thought I may as well ask some peeps that have.
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 07:11 AM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Well, buddy didn't listen & bought the Tornado, heh.. question:

If I can get him setup with a copy of RealFlight G4.5, will his Tornado's transmitter operate it?? (since it came with a PC hookup for the crap simulator that comes with it)
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 10:06 AM
Registered User
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined May 2008
2,574 Posts
No... the real flight transmitters also work as a security dongle... in other words, Real Flight will only work with their own transmitters and won't even start if it doesn't detect one.
Druss is offline Find More Posts by Druss
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:13 AM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Druss View Post
No... the real flight transmitters also work as a security dongle... in other words, Real Flight will only work with their own transmitters and won't even start if it doesn't detect one.
That's what I figured, thanks for the confirmation.
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:30 PM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
723 Posts
Quite frankly, I feel bad for your buddy that he couldn't be dissuaded from buying the Tornado. I made the same mistake when I first started the RC heli hobby. The Tornado (or Falcon) is complete unreliable in terms of quality, and chances of it lasting more than one flight for a real beginner are, sadly, close to zero... In any case, good luck to him - I hope I'm wrong.

BTW if he does crash the thing on the very first flight - chances are, within the first few seconds - and he still wants to continue with the hobby, let us know and I'm sure plenty of people on this forum would be happy to suggest a more sensible progression of quality heli's.

Kevin
kchen95 is offline Find More Posts by kchen95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2010, 11:54 PM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Quite frankly, I feel bad for your buddy that he couldn't be dissuaded from buying the Tornado. I made the same mistake when I first started the RC heli hobby. The Tornado (or Falcon) is complete unreliable in terms of quality, and chances of it lasting more than one flight for a real beginner are, sadly, close to zero... In any case, good luck to him - I hope I'm wrong.

BTW if he does crash the thing on the very first flight - chances are, within the first few seconds - and he still wants to continue with the hobby, let us know and I'm sure plenty of people on this forum would be happy to suggest a more sensible progression of quality heli's.

Kevin
I feel the same for him and thanks for the offer. Me & a friend did similar loong ago, but with one of the original LMH's. I feel confident that I could suggest a proper progression, (and tried, starting lower than the SR), it's just whether he'll follow through. He actually broke something just doing the run-up check, (accidentally bumped a stick & she tipped over), though was on the ball enough to have purchased a few extra parts with his first order. I believe today was supposed to be the maiden hover/flight - fingers crossed! Don't suppose anybody here would be interested in a Tornado with some possible injuries, if that winds up being the outcome?
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 07:57 AM
Registered User
Taiwan, 北市
Joined Dec 2008
723 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytacohead View Post
I feel the same for him and thanks for the offer. Me & a friend did similar loong ago, but with one of the original LMH's. I feel confident that I could suggest a proper progression, (and tried, starting lower than the SR), it's just whether he'll follow through. He actually broke something just doing the run-up check, (accidentally bumped a stick & she tipped over), though was on the ball enough to have purchased a few extra parts with his first order. I believe today was supposed to be the maiden hover/flight - fingers crossed! Don't suppose anybody here would be interested in a Tornado with some possible injuries, if that winds up being the outcome?
Best of luck to him! Hope he surprises us all.

Kevin
kchen95 is offline Find More Posts by kchen95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2010, 01:59 PM
Registered User
Tinytacohead's Avatar
WV
Joined Jun 2010
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchen95 View Post
Best of luck to him! Hope he surprises us all.

Kevin
Not that it's the same at all, but the connection we have as friends is that we've both been into flight simulators since the very first. Hopefully enough of that will shine through. At least he's not one of these guys who's completely new to flight.
Tinytacohead is offline Find More Posts by Tinytacohead
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 02:41 AM
Registered User
Joined May 2011
2 Posts
Don't buy from Banana Hobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytacohead View Post
Hi guys. A friend is getting ready to purchase a BlitzRCWorks Tornado 3D as his first ever RC heli. (first hobby-grade RC really) http://www.bananahobby.com/1787.html
Given my experience with Horizon's Blade series, I was wondering if the SR might be a better choice for him? http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...prodDetailTabs

Obviously the Tornado looks cooler & has a belt driven tail, CF blades etc, but I was thinking of suggesting the SR instead. (will likely be hard to sway him) Also, given his situation, I don't really expect him to be purchasing any other heli's down the road, so this one has to satisfy him for awhile. He's likely to get some extra battery packs, rechargeables for the TX, and stop there. (older guy, super tight budget + nagging wife & kids, as well as a healthy PC hobby ) As always, thanks in advance!
Please tread carefully, if you buy from Banana Hobby I can assure you there is no after sales service. I have been trying for 3 months to get one small part and can not get a reply from them.
Donald1 is offline Find More Posts by Donald1
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
Cranky old fart
Balr14's Avatar
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,338 Posts
I wonder whatever happened to the friend who bought the Tornado 3D?
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2011, 04:06 PM
banging head on wall
skyeblu's Avatar
Joined Feb 2010
1,196 Posts
Balr14 I read this thread when it came up awhile ago and never looked at the date until I read your post better late than never I guess LoL
skyeblu is offline Find More Posts by skyeblu
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Blade 120 SR RTF by BLADE bakon Electric Heli Talk 45 May 28, 2011 04:15 PM
Discussion Why buy a Blade SR vs. Blade CP Pro 2? tmsn Electric Heli Talk 56 Jan 08, 2011 07:03 PM
For Sale blade 120 sr blade msr RTF FS!!!!!!!! hootie7159 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 5 Sep 01, 2010 09:35 PM
Sold F/S Blade SR RTF rdr4evr69 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Aug 09, 2010 08:18 AM
Question 6CH 2.4GHz BlitzRCWorks Tornado 3D raghid Electric Heli Talk 46 Mar 15, 2010 06:06 AM