HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:29 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Discussion
Venom GPV-1 n00b

Hi, I'm new to 1/8 scale bikes, just wanted to see if anyone still uses their
Venom GPV-1 and see if I could get some more detailed info on how to install some of the things like the slipper clutch. I've been reading the hints and tips...my bike is still in shipping, wanted to start with something I thought would be a good first Electric R/C to have.

I'm a bit late on buying it, but I hope I can still get some help as I don't know what I'm doing so far and would like to get it to go as fast as I've seen in the the videos on YouTube.

I'm gonna definitely do some of the out of the box stuff 1st and learn to handle it before I start to upgrade it. Just wanted to see if there is still some help available on this website, would hate to have to wing it with no 1/8 scale experience...on that note hoping the make some friends with this thread and hopefully get my bike as fast as I can when I get it...lol
Mooklar is offline Find More Posts by Mooklar
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:14 PM
Occasional useful idiot...
Joined Nov 2009
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooklar View Post
Hi, I'm new to 1/8 scale bikes, just wanted to see if anyone still uses their
Venom GPV-1 and see if I could get some more detailed info on how to install some of the things like the slipper clutch. I've been reading the hints and tips...my bike is still in shipping, wanted to start with something I thought would be a good first Electric R/C to have.
Good one, glad you have bought into bikes.
Slipper clutches are a homebrew affair at the moment, (if memory serves me correctly, though 4 hours driving back home in pugsly has rendered my brain temporarily incapacitated ). Go back through this thread (say the last 20 pages or so or all of it if you have a few spare hours!) there are a few handy tips buried in there..

Quote:
I'm a bit late on buying it, but I hope I can still get some help as I don't know what I'm doing so far and would like to get it to go as fast as I've seen in the the videos on YouTube.
First things first. Practice, practice and er... MORE PRACTICE!
As stubbyphilips says...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbyphilips View Post
If you get the venom just run it stock until the brushed motor dies, I mean really fight the temptation to modify it til you are confident you can drive it...

Then find a 10th scale track and master that, if all goes well then start modding like mad

And read the GPV-1 thread.
Quote:
I'm gonna definitely do some of the out of the box stuff 1st and learn to handle it before I start to upgrade it. Just wanted to see if there is still some help available on this website, would hate to have to wing it with no 1/8 scale experience...on that note hoping the make some friends with this thread and hopefully get my bike as fast as I can when I get it...lol
Make your location known, we are a small band but you would be surprised at where we have our bikes, there maybe someone here near you to learn from/race with.
Jonathan Bradbury is offline Find More Posts by Jonathan Bradbury
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:42 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, I'm very excited about getting one, I'm not that good with mechanical stuff so I think making mods for some of the parts will be a challenge. I know it will be fun so I'm trying to get ready for it so I'm more knowledgable about what I'm doing when I get it.

Bad think is I live in Northern VA, not many R/C race tracks around here, most are 2 or more hours away from me...will be few and far between to get race track pratice in...sigh.

I guess I will try to get in touch with cougs, and see if he has made or can make me an adapter for the slipper clutch, that's a ways off anyway. I guess I'll be staying with the stock motor for a bit....should I try to get all of the race kit stuff 1st, and then start going for speed. I would rather not break stock parts if I should be using the alloy parts for more durability.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:47 PM
Joined Nov 2009
1,378 Posts
I'm in the same boat too in some ways, my local track is also over two hours away,(and I have spent hours getting there in -7c and snow sleeping in the car overnight just to marshal!) just be determined and don't give in!!!
Don't go for mods until you need them, break them first and then replace. Save your money, get organised with those 'close' to you ( Derbi75, Mollycbr123 off the top of my head) and just enjoy the thing.
Did I mention don't give in!!!!???
Good luck and have fun.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:52 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Well thanks again for the tips, I will be patient and learn to use the bike before I worry about upgrading it. I was doing some more research for tracks in my area, found a few good ones only less than an hour from where I live, and I have a friend that lives 15 mins from there....so that works out great for me. I will get to go to the track more often than I thought. Cheap prices for an indoor track, they do off, and on-road...will be a lot of fun in the coming months.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:47 PM
South Africa
Joined Jan 2010
458 Posts
1st try to run the bike in a open space(parking lot etc). A track are a bit trickier to start off right away.
Bking1340 is online now Find More Posts by Bking1340
Old Sep 15, 2010, 02:00 PM
USA, VA, Alexandria
Joined Sep 2010
4 Posts
Hey guys, I'm having problems now that I've gotten the bike, I can't get it to go straight, it keeps falling to the right and doing donuts, what do I need to do at this point?
Old Sep 15, 2010, 05:29 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
I would try loosening the collets for the steering rod, centre the servo, reset the servo horn so it sits 90 degrees to the steering rod... then adjust the springs back up...

or read the Gpv-1 hints and info thread, Dez explains it much better than me... and with pics...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Sep 16, 2010, 07:18 AM
Gold Coast, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
7 Posts
I just got mine today... got no idea about anything, lingo etc. any link to the absolute basics, like what a ESC is and what it does etc.

looking forward to getting into the RC scene and especially on a bike
R1 Robbie is offline Find More Posts by R1 Robbie
Old Sep 16, 2010, 08:26 AM
Joined Nov 2009
1,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 Robbie View Post
I just got mine today... got no idea about anything, lingo etc. any link to the absolute basics, like what a ESC is and what it does etc.

Well lucky old you has got some friends to play rc bikes with.
Ask when the next meet is by clicking here and get yourself along!
Old Sep 16, 2010, 06:26 PM
Me Likee Motorbikee
Melbourne Australia
Joined Nov 2009
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1 Robbie View Post

I'm pretty new to all this stuff aswell... so I know how confusing it can all be, pretty new to forums too... so it took me some time to get my head around the "keyboard talk"... people like to shorten the most simple of words...

anyway... this link is an exellent starting point... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1037774

Also check out the thread, ussually at the top of the page, 1/5th racing in Australia... these guys are from around your way...

As for some of the Lingo used...

ESC... Electronic Speed Controller (the green box bit... it does what it says)
Rx... Radio Reciever (the grey-ish box with all the wires goin into it... it gets all the messages from what you do with the transmitter, and sends them on to the servo, and ESC...
Servo... That's the bit that controls the steering on your GPV-1

That's about it for basic radio equipment...

hopefully that helps a little...
Lukey B is offline Find More Posts by Lukey B
Old Sep 18, 2010, 07:29 AM
Joined Sep 2010
430 Posts
Hey all,

I'm new to GPV 1 scene also. R1 Robbie and I have jumped into this together and us both being 1:1 bike nuts only seems to fuel the fire!

I took mine out for its first spin today and really wasn't to sure what to expect.
I was pleasantly surprised though to find I could manage a couple of dodgy (real dodgy I might add) laps without to much practice.

Can't wait to give it another go now.

Could someone give me a good estimate of the running time I should get out of 1 charge and how long it normally takes them to change the stock battery pack using the stock charger?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

Gecko Hunter
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter
Old Sep 19, 2010, 07:57 PM
FPV Plane & RC Motorcycle Dude
Port Elliot, South Australia
Joined Nov 2009
238 Posts
I get about 15-20min running time on a track I lay out in the local carpark. Plenty of low speed bends and not a great deal of high speed running. I normally only run the batt down to 800-900 milliamphours leaving some charge in reserve. The batt probably recharges with the standard charger in 5-6hours. I fast charge using a HK charger in about 30min.

Cheers

Ian
Ian Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ian Williams
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:21 AM
Joined Sep 2010
430 Posts
Cheers thanks mate,

I ran my bike again on the weekend and got about 15 to 20 min out of it as you mentioned.

BTW: Whats a HK charger?

Is HK a brand?
Gecko Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Gecko Hunter
Old Sep 20, 2010, 01:51 AM
FPV Plane & RC Motorcycle Dude
Port Elliot, South Australia
Joined Nov 2009
238 Posts
Hi again Gecko,

HK=Hobbyking.com, online store for all good things RC. They have their own brand chargers at very good prices and power supplies to run them. I use the Hobbyking ECO 6 charger, does nicads, NIMH such as the venom battery, lipo's etc. (probably cost about $20) I use a 240v power pack from HK to run the charger.

Cheers

Ian
Ian Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ian Williams