HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:03 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Discussion
Canon S90 with CHDK - great AP cam!!!

Hi,

I just realized that my Canon S90 now has been hacked to use CHDK scripts to do timelapse, remote triggering etc.

Since the S90 in my opinion is a great compromise between size, manual settings, lens etc, I have been really anxious to test it but didn't manage to set it up for servo triggering until the CHDK version for it arrived.

Here are a few examples. I set it to take pictures every 3 secs with Shutter priority, 1/1000s, EV comp -1/3 and auto focus. Seems to be a good setting to start with!

I am really pleased with this camera and even my 24 oz Ferias (40" wingspan!) has no problems lifting the camera. SO - good bye Pentax S10...

Enjoy!

/Bjorn
icebear is offline Find More Posts by icebear
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:19 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
Those are some great shots. How about posting one of your AV plane.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:20 AM
Israel, Ness Ziona
Joined Sep 2004
4,649 Posts
Fantastic AP
Well done== cool
Guy
guyg is offline Find More Posts by guyg
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:41 AM
Happy landings
Trondheim, Norway
Joined Jul 2007
670 Posts
That looks promising. Could you please make a raw file available for download? Maybe attached to the post in a zip-file if possible?
paulrene is offline Find More Posts by paulrene
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:17 AM
Joined May 2005
794 Posts
i still have to get mine in the air....ugh....gotta modify my camera mount
zakstang is offline Find More Posts by zakstang
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:26 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Can't wait to see more shots. That camera is the best IMO with all manual control and CHDK. I just got a pentax a30 and am loving it, would have gone for the s90 if not for the$$$. Any chance you will shoot the bridge between Malmo and Denmark? (My cousin was an engineer on it, lives in Malmo).
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:09 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Some more examples of the S90

Hi again,

Thanks for your comments! Must say I really like this camera already...

@ZackJones - here are some pics of this AP plane - Kyosho Ferias (still the one I use the most thanks to its small size and ability to carry weight and fly in high winds)

@Guy - thanks! Here's one more beach shot since you post so nice beachshots!

@paulrene; Oops! I deleted the RAW files since I don't have a viewer for RAW -BUT I can of course send you the Jpeg if you are interested - just PM or email me and address and I'll post a jpg

@spacecase: I totally agree. Really like the ability to use shutter priority etc and I can imagine the A30 is great too. I had an A20 but eventually sold it when I got the S10 which was a little bit lighter. I think the S90 wins because of the nice wide angle and IMO better optics

Finally, here are a few more photos too...

/Bjorn
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:05 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
..and Spacecase... Here's a pic of the bridge - taken from an Airbus 330 last week :-) Interesting that you have a cousin 1hr from here!

I have a friend in Malmoe that has taken great shots of the bridge with his Quad and an LX3 - I'll see if I can get him to post here...

/Björn
Old Sep 06, 2010, 03:18 PM
It's just a plane.
USA, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Aug 2010
2,104 Posts
@icebear: I looked up the plane -- seems it's no longer being built. Oh well. Great shots you're getting with it.
ZackJones is offline Find More Posts by ZackJones
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:57 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Too bad they didn't finish the bridge
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:12 PM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Zack: Yes, sorry they discontinued them a few years ago. I have been lucky to source a few second hand so I have a few backups. Maybe you can get them second hand in the US too?

SpaceCase: Yeah, it's a bummer just ending up on that stupid island every time...
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:20 PM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
Great shots, but I must say, I'm not surprised you are getting great pictures (AP or on the ground) as the Canon S90 is £300 ($460)!! Hardly a cheap purchase.
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:16 PM
Crash land!
Geelong Vic, Australia
Joined Sep 2009
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebear View Post
SpaceCase: Yeah, it's a bummer just ending up on that stupid island every time...
Nice pics icebear!
I realise this may be an "inside joke", and I may sound silly asking, but for all of us that don't know about that bridge, why the heck is there seriously a massive bridge that goes to a tiny little island with nothing on it? I know there will be a good reason for it, curiosity has just gotten the better of me and I had to ask...
Joffa_Dan is offline Find More Posts by Joffa_Dan
Old Sep 08, 2010, 10:13 AM
Denmark
Joined Mar 2005
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joffa_Dan View Post
Nice pics icebear!
I realise this may be an "inside joke", and I may sound silly asking, but for all of us that don't know about that bridge, why the heck is there seriously a massive bridge that goes to a tiny little island with nothing on it? I know there will be a good reason for it, curiosity has just gotten the better of me and I had to ask...
On that tiny little island there is a huge hole where the cars transfers to submarines!

regards Bent
Bent Larsen is offline Find More Posts by Bent Larsen
Old Sep 09, 2010, 04:35 AM
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Sep 2001
1,813 Posts
Quote:
Nice pics icebear!
You are right - it's a joke of course. When building the bridge between Sweden and Denmark in 1999-2000 they could not have the giant sea crane "Svanen" operating close to the airport Kastrup on the mainland. Therefore the last 4 kilometers where put in a tunnel under the water and the island where the cars go under ground is what you see in the picture.

Quote:
Great shots, but I must say, I'm not surprised you are getting great pictures (AP or on the ground) as the Canon S90 is £300 ($460)!! Hardly a cheap purchase.
Thanks! You are of course right. It is a pricey camera but comparing to $200 cams which I have used quite a few during the last five years it feels like a good investment. My Pentax Optio S4 /4MP cam cost me $400 in 2003 and for the same money we now have the S90 which in my opinion is the best compination of size/weight in the "compact" range. Possibly the LX3 is a little bit better but there you dont have the CHDK properties and it is A LOT heavier.

Cheers,

Björn