HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:21 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Discussion
Free Plans @ JUDD-RC.id.au

Hey everyone, just want to start by saying a big hello.
My name is Clint and Ive been flying since aug 2009.
I was interested in RC aircraft a long long time ago and built a balsa glider that didnt last very long due to piloting skills and no simulator software at the time 1997 (abouts)
Anyway back in august 2009 I bought my first rc jet foamie. A banana hobby F117. This time armed with a 4ch usb control and FMS I was ready.. (full of hope) So I took the air again a little bit better than my first encounter.

What I found that was that the planes were cheaper than before but crashing often would end up costing me a few airframes so my sinister cheaper side of me got the bug for building my own stuff.

I built a few airframes from RCsuperpowers RCfoamfighters and MikeysRC but I always found that I was modding their designs anyway.
I also found that their designs were very pretty but time consuming to build due to the numerous parts and complexity.
I soon moved on to building my own stuff with some very easy but successful airframes.

Ive posted a few youtube vids and enjoyed the road travelled so far but wanted to share what I was doing so I built my own website with the help of my brother D2theRJ and started posting my own plans which are indeed free to download and build.

I have several plans up with 2 that are 100% complete which are my EF2000 and F22.

All of the plans on my site have been built and flown but the exact CG's and component layout was never recorded. So I am now in the process of rebuilding these planes and recording all the details.

I invite all to visit my webpage Http://JUDD-RC.id.au to view my work and post comments on here about my plans.
My plans are free. My websites adds will hopefully help fund building it and allow me to share more free plans with you guys.

Any request or questions can be pm'd or posted here.
Just an update to the list of completed plans

F117
F22
F18
SR71
B2
Warhawk
EF 2000
Trainer
and many others that are close to finished. These plans are up and free and have all details on board

Clint
JUDD-RC.id.au is offline Find More Posts by JUDD-RC.id.au
Last edited by JUDD-RC.id.au; Apr 08, 2011 at 03:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:10 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,125 Posts
Great stuff Clint and welcome to the club. I put your website in my favorites as I want to build one of these when I get caught up a bit. Good job.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:34 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Thanks Gord, I look fwd to seeing them fly and to your comments.

Clint
Old Sep 08, 2010, 07:30 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Here is a vid of me doing some quick repairs to my EF2000..
I like to fly through gaps in trees and other objects...

RC Foamboard EF2000 easy repairs (6 min 54 sec)
Old Sep 08, 2010, 09:42 AM
jclassic1
New Houghton, Derbyshire, UK
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Hi Clint,
just had a look on your web-site and was most impressed.You have done a good job with it and I have also have added you to my favorites list.
Never built a pusher jet style foamy yet but after browsing your site I must say I am getting more interested in trying one.

All the best

John
jclassic1 is offline Find More Posts by jclassic1
Old Sep 08, 2010, 02:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclassic1 View Post
Hi Clint,
just had a look on your web-site and was most impressed.You have done a good job with it and I have also have added you to my favorites list.
Never built a pusher jet style foamy yet but after browsing your site I must say I am getting more interested in trying one.

All the best

John
Hey John, thanks for having a look at my website and plans. I have a few of those plans like my SR71 the space shuttle that are almost complete as well.

I really enjoying building them, flying them and I dont really mind when I crash them.

I do look fwd to hearing back from you guys on the build and your flight performance review.

Clint
Old Sep 10, 2010, 01:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
A couple of my F22 videos

F22 Foamboard fighter (4 min 22 sec)

RC F22 foamie (3 min 0 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 06:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Just finished my F117 plans today.
plans here

http://judd-rc.id.au/Plans.html

Video
F117 RC foamie (7 min 56 sec)
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:13 PM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Clint you are certainly knocking these jets out quickly.I don,t know if I am good enough a flyer for these yet as I tend to build slow floaters that give me time to correct my mistakes.
Which of your jet style planes flys slowest.

All the same great stuff.

John
Old Sep 11, 2010, 05:07 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Clint you are certainly knocking these jets out quickly.I don,t know if I am good enough a flyer for these yet as I tend to build slow floaters that give me time to correct my mistakes.
Which of your jet style planes flys slowest.

All the same great stuff.

John
Hey John, My slowest flyable jet.... The F22 is rather stable but has a tendency to stall when inverted and flying slow. I think that is because of the angle and size of the vertical stabilizers act like wings when inverted, they stall and the plane will spin if your lucky to its belly or a spiral dive.

If your after a slow flyer and can wait a week or so, I will finalize my trainer for you. Its a pusher prop setup.. I will put my plans up on my site today so you can have a look. You can print them out and start construction of it. I will add the CG and battery servo and esc to plan soon.

As for pushing my plans out quick, Ive built these planes before and they all fly. I just have to rebuild them and record the finer details so I can post them up. Build time is around 3~5hrs. This can be faster depending on my concentration.

Check my plans page for the trainer plans.

Cheers
Clint
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:12 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Just had a look at your trainer and it looks good.
I saved the plan and opened it with paint as you have suggested and scaled it to 250% which gives me a wingspan of 46",does this sound right or have I gone too big.I may make it a bit smaller perhaps around 150% which would suit my BW motors better.
Probably go with a Kfm2 airfoil to stiffen the wing and not sure if it will be a pusher or tractor type yet.

Thanks Clint

John
Last edited by jclassic1; Sep 12, 2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:34 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Just had a look at your trainer and it looks good.
I saved the plan and opened it with paint as you have suggested and scaled it to 250% which gives me a wingspan of 46",does this sound right or have I gone too big.I may make it a bit smaller perhaps around 150% which would suit my BW motors better.
Probably go with a Kfm2 airfoil to stiffen the wing and not sure if it will be a pusher or tractor type yet.

Thanks Clint

John
Hey John, I printed mine out out 185%. Its bit smaller than the first build but size is only dependent on your running gear.
My setup will have the pusher prop.
Ive just cutout my sheets and will trace it out shortly.
The Kfm2 should work well. You most probably noticed the line through the center of the wing, Ive marked that as a rough line for a KF airfoil.
My wingspan at 185% is 86cm or 34 inches roughly.
I will run with my usual 3400 or 3500Kv turnigy motor and a 4.75 X 4.75 prop.
I Would use 185%. Its fitting nicely on my 700X500m sheet!
Will post some pics up tonight of the build in progress.

Clint

I guess you have noticed that power train setup is the same on all of my planes. Keeps the size of your kit down if you only carry 1 type of esc motor and props.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 07:38 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Just printed out the trainer plan at 185% and got the 34" wingspan which is ideal size for my needs.I don,t have any high Kv motors and my Esc,s only reach 20A so I plan on using my 1450Kv motor on 3 cell 800mah lipo to start with.This is why I may run a tractor motor set-up as it suits my gear better.

John
Old Sep 12, 2010, 08:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Sep 2010
533 Posts
Quote:
Just printed out the trainer plan at 185% and got the 34" wingspan which is ideal size for my needs.I don,t have any high Kv motors and my Esc,s only reach 20A so I plan on using my 1450Kv motor on 3 cell 800mah lipo to start with.This is why I may run a tractor motor set-up as it suits my gear better.

John
Hey John, Im just rendering the build video now.. Funny thing is it takes me 15mins to cut the foam shapes out and another 30mins to build the airframe + another 1hr or so to populate the controls and power system...
It takes 3~5hrs to make and render the video and 1 hr to upload.

For your setup if your going the tractor route then you may want to make the elevator surface a little bit bigger.
With the pusher there is a lot more airflow over the elevator so its artificial airflow so to speak.
I wont need a lot of elevator on my setup.

Anyway build video will be up in about 2.5hrs.

Hell this could even have an EDF on it.. I had a few 64mm GWS units from HK. I found that the plastic cups from the water dispensors slips nicely over the exhaust side to make a shroud!
Could be a jet trainer as well!!

Clint
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:33 AM
jclassic1
Joined May 2006
1,375 Posts
Clint,
thanks for your advice about the elevator,I may even make the ailerons a bit bigger .Do you think I may need to shorten the nose a touch with a BW hanging off it.
Drawn the Kfm2 airfoil at 50% on the plan and I will fit it flat to the wing with no spar just the two pieces of foam stuck together.This is how I have done all my Kfm2 wings and it seems to work well and adds a lot of strength to the wing.I haven,t used any carbon on my planes.
I like the idea of a ducted fan trainer.I haven,t got any fan units but this may push me into getting one.
I am sure glad you have arrived on this site with your interesting ideas.
Just printed your F22 plan off and scaled it for 28" wingspan.I am hoping that I can use my 1300kv blue wonder with my 3 cell 800mah pack on an 8x4 prop.I will give it a go after the trainer.
Looking forward to more from you.

John
Last edited by jclassic1; Sep 12, 2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: new information