HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:18 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
Question
Liquid plastic or gel coat layer for foam planes?

I found this website last year that sold some kind of white liquid resin (I think it was a 2 part resin like epoxy) or liquid plastic that was used to cover their foam airplane kits. I believe they also sold some WW2 bombers that they cut all the parts from a cnc hot wire. Does anyone happen to know what I'm talking about?

It gave their planes a super nice finish... I'd like to try it and I can't find that site again.
NanoDave is offline Find More Posts by NanoDave
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:26 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,393 Posts
I believe you are referring www.wowplanes.com. The product that they are selling under the name "liquid sheeting" is what I believe to be another product that is usually sold in larger quantities called Styrospray 1000.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:53 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
That was fast! thanks, Yup that was the website.

Have you ever tried it or know anyone who has? wonder how well it would work on depron.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:13 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,393 Posts
I have used it in the industrial setting, and also tried samples on Dow blue foam. It really depends on what you are after in your model. Whether scale, sport, or some other application. Most of the foam modeling I have done has led me to the conclusion that this is not what I would use. If I needed a hard surface finish and strength I would rather go with 3/4 oz glass cloth and epoxy resin, and that would be for a larger size model. It does lay down a smooth finish, but you do need to have it smooth to start with. Their website does have good tutorials for its use.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:15 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,393 Posts
Dave,

If you are building small scale planes as your name suggests, then I would not recommend it. This stuff will kill you in weight.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:50 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
Hey Ken

I'm really not looking to use it for strength but really for a nicer finish. The models that I make are usually much bigger than "Nano." I know the name may not be the best description for my planes, but they are still pretty small. wingspans from 24" to 32" right now and in the 7.5 oz to 12 oz range, so I hope that this wouldn't add a whole lot of extra weight. maybe an ounce or so would be acceptable. When I made the nano name I was planning to make planes to match the name, but it got put on the back burner as do many projects...
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:30 AM
Rather be flying
United States, TX, Midland
Joined Feb 2009
269 Posts
looking for a smooth finish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanoDave View Post
Hey Ken

I'm really not looking to use it for strength but really for a nicer finish. The models that I make are usually much bigger than "Nano." I know the name may not be the best description for my planes, but they are still pretty small. wingspans from 24" to 32" right now and in the 7.5 oz to 12 oz range, so I hope that this wouldn't add a whole lot of extra weight. maybe an ounce or so would be acceptable. When I made the nano name I was planning to make planes to match the name, but it got put on the back burner as do many projects...
Try brushing on future liquid acrylic floor wax. You can even mix with acrylic paints to use as a primer before top coating your desired color.

You must sand after the first application to get a smooth finish, but it creates a very smooth finish.
tsudduth is offline Find More Posts by tsudduth
Old Oct 14, 2010, 10:48 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
I use water-based clear varnish. I add a good amount of babies talcum powder and acrylic colour if desired. Sand after with 240 grade emery, or other paper.One more coat and final sanding.Light weight and quite smooth.To get a strong surface and a MUCH more rigid wing I use diluted white wood glue to glue on fine smooth Saa paper from Chiangmai in Thailand. Wonderful stuff and very cheap .There!
foufly is offline Find More Posts by foufly
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:19 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsudduth View Post
Try brushing on future liquid acrylic floor wax. You can even mix with acrylic paints to use as a primer before top coating your desired color.

You must sand after the first application to get a smooth finish, but it creates a very smooth finish.
Hmm This sounds interesting. Never thought about floor wax. Does it make a hard rigid outer coating?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:24 AM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by foufly View Post
I use water-based clear varnish. I add a good amount of babies talcum powder and acrylic colour if desired. Sand after with 240 grade emery, or other paper.One more coat and final sanding.Light weight and quite smooth.To get a strong surface and a MUCH more rigid wing I use diluted white wood glue to glue on fine smooth Saa paper from Chiangmai in Thailand. Wonderful stuff and very cheap .There!
I have used Water based polyurethane and babypowder before... yes it works okay..
but what is Saa paper from Chaingmai?
Old Oct 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
I just Googled Saa paper and it is refered to as mulberry paper made from the bark of Mulberry trees.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:20 AM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
Paper covering

Yes Saa paper is mulberry paper.It took a while to find a fine NON hand made one .I will look for a supplier on the net ,its a long way to Thailand! I also found a fine semi transparent tissue that t thought was plastic ,until I .wetted it.It cockles so it cant be.I have just finished a 1.5m powered glider using it ,glueing it on again using white wood glue.Even wet it was quite strong enough.Cant tell you what its called.I am going back to the same stationery shop in Chiangmai in a month to find it,its fabulous! Just buy some samples and stick them on to sanded foam with white PVA glue,good luck!
Old Oct 21, 2010, 05:45 PM
Los Angeles, Ca
Joined Jul 2004
845 Posts
Thanks for the info on the Mulberry paper.

This sounds very interesting... how much weight does it add? It seems that it can end up pretty heavy. I wonder, is the strength to weight ratio worth it?

Also, how nice of a finish can you achieve with it? any pictures?
Old Oct 27, 2010, 03:59 PM
Joined May 2010
297 Posts
I have used the thicker handmade saa paper.The added strength is astonishing!I bruised my knee trying to break one wing to get it into the bin bag!The extra weight varies according to the thickness of the paper and thus amount of glue needed,20 or 30 % more than foam, but you dont need any carbon reinforcing.I have 30 or more planes covered in this way ,up to 2m gliders. They will be around a long time.Brown paper ,kraft, works well too Keep the grain the same way top and bottom or the piece will curl!