HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2010, 11:50 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Discussion
Twin otter build!!

Well, I've gone and done it now! Ihave started the build on the 600 size Twin Otter from Ivan Pettigrew!
This is my first build from plans, whew!!, even at this point I have muddled thru the basic plan pictures 100's of times to "see" what is supposed to happen.
I have the basic square fuselage structure up, and the top tapered formers in the rear. This is certainly going to be the most challenging build I've ever done!
I will post some pictures tomorrow. So far I've spent about 12 hours! I can see I have hundreds more to go! Doug Bartley
Doug Bartley is offline Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:09 AM
Übung macht den Meister..
United States, OR, Fairview
Joined Jul 2006
3,026 Posts
I'm in!

James
Deuce is offline Find More Posts by Deuce
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:30 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,936 Posts
Good choice. I'm sure you know, but there is plenty of support on hand here from Pettigrew builders and others. Just in case you haven't found them already, these two threads are the way in:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=710485
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=951408

Trevor
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Sep 05, 2010, 02:53 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
twin otter build

I finally got to take a couple of pictures of my progress. Not that far along yet! Have you tried to follow Ivan's plans?? Wheww! I'm getting it done, spending a lot of time reviewing plans, its all there, just have to look for the answers!
I'll be modifying from the plans, in that the entire fuselage will be skinned to allow windows, I have drawn up some faux aileron hinges.
I've chosen Turnigy 4240-900 motors, spinning 12/8/ 3 blade EMP props, 40 A Turnigy Plush ESC'S, 2-3600mah/3S in parallel.
The plane will be finished in Ken Borak Airways out of Calgary, Alta, C-GKCS.
Here's a couple of shots of the progress to date. I now need to cut all the upper and lower fuselage formers, I'll be awhile!!!
Man is this thing ever light!! I've already reinforced the fuse around the landing gear and forward areas, Ivan lands a plane much more gently than I do!! Doug Bartley
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:20 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Nice start ! signed on...
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:17 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Subscribing! I've been eyeballing these plans and am trying to decide between the Twin Otter and the Partenavia from Ivan. All those sticks are time consuming but so rewarding when you're done.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:29 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Otter build!

Well, progress is being made, SLOWLY, like its been said, it takes time to cut all these sticks!!
There is also a few firsts here, 1st time using a scroll saw, 1st time copying from drawings, and first time correcting errors on drawing. I could end up using a lot of extra wood here! Despite the minor error, all appears to be coming out OK. Got most of the hatch done, rear top formers in place, and started on front landing gear. I moved the landing gear back to a more scale location, made my own wire frame work.
The pictures of templates are for my faux linkage for ailerons, I think three to each side. They won't do anything other than look the part, but felt they need to be there to make it appear more scale-like.
Here's the pics! Doug Bartley
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:28 PM
Two left thumbs
Muncie, IN
Joined Sep 2006
4,248 Posts
I'm signing on too, since I'll join the Pettigrew fan club once two other builds are finished.

Geoff
GeoffinIN is offline Find More Posts by GeoffinIN
Old Sep 07, 2010, 04:51 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Got a little more done yesterday. Made up the front nose gear, built the vertical tail assly. AUW at the moment is 9.5oz! That will increase! I have decided to skin the entire fuselage when ready, that way I can put in windows. Ican't tolerate painted on windows!

Have to make aluminum collars for nose gear, picked up taps for threading today, whew, $20 for one 3mm tap-ouch! Had to order a 2-56 tap, didn't asl how much (scared)!!
Here;s a couple of pics of progress, no building today, running errands, pick up parts and pieces. Have fun! Doug Bartley
Please forgive the mess! The paper templates are for the faux control hinges on the ailerons, 3 to each side I believe.
Old Sep 07, 2010, 05:15 PM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,319 Posts
Doug,

I know it's too late now but Ace Hardware has one of the best selections of metric and standard taps and dies that I've seen outside of a specialty tool store. Realistic prices too.

I decided on and ordered the Partenavia plans from Ivan last night. I'm still going to watch this thread as I'm sure the Otter will be next on my list.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Sep 07, 2010, 08:36 PM
North by Northwest
Joined Nov 2003
2,422 Posts
Doug,
The twin Otter is coming along nicely!

What size will this bird be in terms of wingspan?

Watching with interest!

AmpAce
AmpAce is offline Find More Posts by AmpAce
Old Sep 07, 2010, 10:20 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
Hi turbojoe: Sorry my friend, no Ace here in Canada!! Home Depot maybe, I should have checked! I went to a local industrial supplier -doh!!:
Ampace: wingspan is 84", this is Ivan "600" size, originally for twin 600 brushed motors. He also has a "480" size for guess, yes, 480 brushed! I'll be running brushless and lipos!
Won't get much more done this week, have to prepare for a trip to a scale rally! Check over the motorcycle and trailer, load and secure planes, batteries, camping gear etc. etc.
The KW Flying Dutchmen Scale Rally is this weekend, I'll be leaving Fri,set up camp and stay for the two day event. I'll take some pics, too!
Doug Bartley
Old Sep 08, 2010, 03:41 PM
build like there is no 2moz
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Apr 2009
817 Posts
Welcome to the TWOTTER

Doug,
That is good progress your making on the twin otter.
I have built the smaller one, and i can tell you it flies lovely.
I went as per Ivans plan (and others can attest, i do not fly my planes gently... ) but they have stood up very well.
I like the faux aileron linkage. I have working slotted flaps on mine, and it looks better with the linkages hanging down even more so when the flaps are out, and i peform STOL manouvers.
I would add the wing struts if you get a chance, they make a huge difference to the way it looks.
But congratulations on a lovely looking model

Scott
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1043047
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1046503
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1042352

p.s. just a suggestion, mine was quite prone to hanger rash, and was weak about the front of the fiin, where the tailplane sits. i ended up retrofitting a small carbon rod down the leading edge. it helped mine stand up better
wallis_100 is offline Find More Posts by wallis_100
Old Sep 09, 2010, 06:11 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
H wallis: Yes, I seen yours fly on the video!! Very nice.
I will be using the flaps as per the plan too, just adding the faux hinges on the ailerons for appearance.
Thanks for the tip on the tail leading edge, it is kinda thin, a piece of carbon rod sounds like a great idea!!
No pics today, got the collars made for the nose wheel, made up nose wheel servo mount, decided to use a separate servo (HS65) to avoid Sullivan rods. I made the rudder pull/pull for same reason. I am using one steel Sullivan rod/tube set for elevator (2/56 size).
I'm getting ready (leaving Fri pm) to go to the KW Flying Dutchmen Scale Rally held this Sat/Sun.
Got to load up the Motorcycle and my plane trailer tonite/ morning. I'm rechecking all my batteries for charge now! Doug Bartley
Old Sep 09, 2010, 10:57 PM
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
2,874 Posts
managed to get a couple of pics of nose steer, rud/ele servos, not quite complete. Next step will be to add battery platform, then skin the fuselage!
Build will recommence next Monday - I'm going flying!! Doug Bartley