SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 04, 2010, 08:58 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Discussion
Looking for indoor 3d foamie

As per title, but I'd like to be able to fly it outdoors as well, so at least 10z I guess?

Rewind: just came back from a 5 year break from R/C. I used to fly indoors back when shockflyers were all the indoor 3d rage, but apparently everyone has moved on from those.

I can fly basically anything out there, just looking for a reasonably priced foamie kit. I have a park 370, a cdrom motor, and an outrunner without a label. Helpful?

I have to get new batteries so that's an open field as well, I wouldn't mind sticking with either the 370 or the cdrom motor. I used the cdrom motor in a shockie with 2s 700 batts and had good 3d performance (shockie was 5.5 oz).

I apologize for the shotgun blast of a thread but all in all, whats a decent foamie for a decent price?
larsy87 is offline Find More Posts by larsy87
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 05, 2010, 07:26 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Ok, been doing lots of googling and not getting many results. Where does one buy sheets of EPP foam?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:25 PM
2^p - 1
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Feb 2003
1,327 Posts
cam - rcfoam.com for depron and EPP. Are you planning on building your own? From plans?
Lots of free plans still around. Leadfeathers yak is a frequently recommended one, Aiden's Index is more precision / less 3d.
As for kits, DWfoamies makes several popular designs.
Welcome back to the hobby! Compared to 5 years ago, you'll get more performance out of less $$. Good times
signflyer is offline Find More Posts by signflyer
Old Sep 06, 2010, 01:58 AM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by signflyer View Post
cam - rcfoam.com for depron and EPP. Are you planning on building your own? From plans?
Lots of free plans still around. Leadfeathers yak is a frequently recommended one, Aiden's Index is more precision / less 3d.
As for kits, DWfoamies makes several popular designs.
Welcome back to the hobby! Compared to 5 years ago, you'll get more performance out of less $$. Good times

I don't mind building my own. I'd just prefer a kit. I think I'd prefer EPP mainly because I used to live and die by depron and my flying style never supported stuff that 'crinkled'. I was a big fan of trying to drag parts of aircraft across floors and roads...ended up with lots of burnt surfaces and smashed noses. I had a Blade epp plane but it sucked hard.

Is e-foamy.com worthwhile? The sbach 232 thing looks pretty rad. I also found an axi 2212/34 in my box of goodies, so add that to the list.

But, I just peeked at the parts section of e-foamy...looks like I can kit a plane out on the cheap from that site.
Old Sep 06, 2010, 05:41 AM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
E-Foamy.com is GREAT! Their prices are good, and they're excellent to deal with. The SBach looks to be a good design, they also have Leadfeather's Yak55 and Edge 540T, both of which are proven indoor-outdoor designs. Don't think you could go wrong with any of the 3. Good Luck,
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Sep 06, 2010, 08:14 AM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Galbraith View Post
I don't mind building my own. I'd just prefer a kit. I think I'd prefer EPP .....
Hi Cam,

Check out the EPP planes at wmparkflyers.com. They have the extremely popular Yak-55 for crazy 3d and tumbling, or the new McFoamy which will do both wild 3d and smooth aerobatics. E-mail Greg and he will set you up. Great service and a great guy to work with. He gives you lots of options and his painted kits look great. I too was a dedicated depron flyer but a properly braced EPP plane does fly great.
r/cdawg is offline Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Sep 06, 2010, 09:20 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,028 Posts
I'v dealt a bunch with both e-foamys and WM Parkflyers. Both offer outstanding products and service. You can't do wrong with either one of them.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:00 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
Thanks for the tips! McFoamy is totally BA looking, but so is the 540!
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:30 PM
Yeeah buddy!
Northern Colorado
Joined May 2010
2,451 Posts
I reccomend the RcPowers EXTRA 300S. weighs in at around 12oz, and handles wind great!
PinkYakRC is offline Find More Posts by PinkYakRC
Old Sep 06, 2010, 06:51 PM
Lookin' Good. Real Good.
London, Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,979 Posts
update...went with the 32" sbach 342, with recommended motor, 8 amp esc and the hyperion batteries. Worked out well, the less thought I have to put into ordering stuff the better.

Dug through my old stuff and found 3 5g servos and a gws 4 chan rx complete with...azarr shortened antennae. Small world.

I ordered the unpainted version with grand aspirations to paint it in the theme of my 'company.'

Will keep you all updated and thanks for the advice.