Old Sep 04, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Contest
Turnigy 9X 9Ch Transmitter vs Spektrum DX6i

Hello guys!
Since a week ago, i`ve been digging trhough the DX6i controller and i was expecting to buy it due to its great price! Im a 14 year old so my budget is limited and i found this babie here!!!! 9CH, 2.4Gh, 1,5km range (i only need like 100 feet range for my Champ) and its even 100 bucks cheaper than the dx6i!! HOW COME?
Now.. is the turnigy cheap? gets broken easily? has a lot of faults?
Please post your opinion cuz i have to order one of this for my birthday in a week! I do like good things if they are worth the money and last long, but if i can have the same good thing and better (it seems because its 9ch), i will have it!
Thanks,
Alex!
alexbazzi is offline Find More Posts by alexbazzi
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,624 Posts
Well its HK, not saying its bad or anything about cause I do not have one, (I have DX6i)
Bottom line is that ITS YOUR MONEY, not only for the TX but also for the RC.
Now with that said I am not going to tell you to buy it or not too BUT what I am going to tell is this.

When ever it comes to stuff like this and what I mean by stuff like this is RC EQUIPEMENT that for any reason I may want to get SERVICE and or WARRANTY for this item/product Not sure I am willing to trust an over seas company to provide good and fast service. I rather pay a little more and get something that comes from a brand or place that I know has good service and fast turn around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK
Important.
The TURNIGY 9X has been reflashed with the new v2 firmware, fixing previous menu and mixing issues. This firmware flash is only available from our TURNIGY 9X system as we flash each unit in our office before it is shipped.Purchases of any other rebranded version of the TURNIGY 9X will not have the latest firmware and patches (even the OEM factory does not have these updates)..
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:08 AM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
First thing to be clear about is that the Turnigy is not compatible with Spektrum receivers, so if the Champ you are talking about is from HobbyZone/ParkZone it won't work. I presume since you say you need only 100 foot range, that you are talking about a micro model. Anything bigger needs a lot more range than that.

So I think that first you have to be clear about what you are trying to do. If you want to fly a micro champ or other model with DSM2 radio, your choice is simple: get the RTF version that comes with a transmitter the BNF version and either a DX5e or a DX6i.

If you want to fly bigger models, then the choice between a DX6i and Turnigy 9x becomes relevant. I have the Turnigy (as well as a DX7 to compare with) and can say that it works well and is remarkable value. On the other hand, the instructions are poor, the quality of build is variable, there is very little support, and the programming takes some figuring out. It's not my idea of a good first radio. The DX6i is superior in all these areas -- but it does cost more.

Tell us more clearly and specifically what you are trying to do and we should be able to help further.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:02 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Yeah! you`re totally right! ill go with the dX6i for different reasons...
1- it has dms2 broadband and can work with most 6ch (or less) receivers..
2- The turnigy has no home page, that makes it totally cheap for me and makes lik the dx6i A LOT MORE
3- cant find the turnigy in any forum ( Just about 3 reviews in Rcgm abd they`re poor ones)
3-Well... ive been thinkibng and it could work with a Spektrum dsm2 module, but thats too touchy for me, im a newbie so i want it as simple as it can get
4- everybody says its plasticy and the manual is a piece of junk
5- DX6i has more switches and is a 6ch vs 9ch. That is unbeatable for me (I like tose handy switches )
6- Spektrum is reliable for me! (My uncle used to fly his Glow models 30 years ago with Spektrum and Futaba 75mhz radios!)
7-Bigger MDF, larger antenna (Though you can change the one in the turnigy like i said before with a new module)
8- Most planes now come dsm2 compatible and i dont live in the USA so finding the modules for the turnig will be a pain in the ***
9-DX6i has unlimited range (Full range) though i have a samll backyard its handy for when i go to parks and places like that where people fly
10- INTERFERENCE FREE! I LOVE THAT! Ive seen crashes due to interference problems and i`ll hate to be in those people shoes!

Well.. Thanks guys! pretty helpfull answers!!
Alex
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:04 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
HI Alex:

I think you are right to go with the DX6i. But your reasoning on several of the points is off the mark:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbazzi View Post
1- it has dms2 broadband and can work with most 6ch (or less) receivers..
It will also work with 7 and 9 channel receivers, but of course will control only the first six channels.
Quote:
2- The turnigy has no home page, that makes it totally cheap for me and makes lik the dx6i A LOT MORE
See: http://www.flysky-cn.com/eShowProducts.asp?id=43
Turnigy is just one of the brand names.
Quote:
3- cant find the turnigy in any forum ( Just about 3 reviews in Rcgm abd they`re poor ones)
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1266162
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1035575
And there are sveral more just on RCGroups.
Quote:
3-Well... ive been thinkibng and it could work with a Spektrum dsm2 module, but thats too touchy for me, im a newbie so i want it as simple as it can get
Reasonable.
Quote:
4- everybody says its plasticy and the manual is a piece of junk
It's not bad at all. And the manual (if you find the right version) is OK for anyone who has already programmed a radio. But not a good choice for a beginner.
Quote:
5- DX6i has more switches and is a 6ch vs 9ch. That is unbeatable for me (I like those handy switches )
Not true. The FlySky/Turnigy simply has a couple more channels that use knobs.
Quote:
6- Spektrum is reliable for me! (My uncle used to fly his Glow models 30 years ago with Spektrum and Futaba 75mhz radios!)
Spektrum has only existed for a few years and never made radios on 72 (75 is only for ground and water use).
Quote:
7-Bigger MDF, larger antenna (Though you can change the one in the turnigy like i said before with a new module)
All 2.4 transmitter antennas are very close to the same size and shape.
Quote:
8- Most planes now come dsm2 compatible and i dont live in the USA so finding the modules for the turnig will be a pain in the ***
It's only the Horizon Hobby BNF models that are DSM2 compatible. As for modules, you get one with the transmitter and that's all you need.
Quote:
9-DX6i has unlimited range (Full range) though i have a samll backyard its handy for when i go to parks and places like that where people fly
Not unlimited but as far as you can see and more. So does the Turnigy/FlySky.
Quote:
10- INTERFERENCE FREE! I LOVE THAT! Ive seen crashes due to interference problems and i`ll hate to be in those people shoes!
This is simply an argument for going to 2.4, not for choosing the DX6i.

So you've reached a sensible conclusion. But in trying to convince yourself you've reached the right decision, you've invented all sorts of reasons that are invalid.

Go back and think it all through and you'll see it boils down to a couple of simple points:
  • The DX6i has better programming, better quality control, excellent support, a good manual, etc.
  • The DX6i is compatible with a wide range of BNF models from Horizon Hobby.

That's quite enough to justify your choice.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 05, 2010 at 01:21 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:25 PM
Moscow, Russia
Joined Dec 2007
10 Posts
May be better to think about empty Turnigy 9x and Spectrum DM9 transmitter module? You will get all advantages of DSM2 protocol and Turnigy 9x flexability with alternative microcode.
server28 is offline Find More Posts by server28
Old Sep 05, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Well yeah like i said im a newbie! so thanks for clearing stuff up!
What do you recommend me to get? i will only have one shot untill i go to usa next year so this is a one chance buy!
what will you do if you where a beginner (don worry i builded my pc myself so i know about electronics a lot, programming radios wont be a problem for me, and i have read a lot about the dx6i programming and mixing, reversing...) like me and want to get quality and budget..
THANKS!
Alex.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:03 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,624 Posts
If you are serious about the hobby and you can afford the DX7 it is a very nice radio BUT so is the DX6i. I have a DX6i and I am thinking about getting the DX8 BUT will always keep my DX6i for back anyways and BUDDY box system.

My recommendation would be DX7 or DX6i.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:05 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Let's try and sort this out. The Turnigy with Spektrum module is NOT a cheap option and has little to recommend it.

The new (v2) Turnigy 9x already has a module in it and includes a receiver. It will cost you about $60 plus say $20 shipping = $80. It is not compatible with DSM2. If you wanted to install a Spektrum module to make it compatible, you would need to do some modification to the transmitter to remove the existing module. The cost of the DSM2 module and a 7-channel receiver would be about $109.

Total cost: about $190.

DX6i with AR6200 receiver. Cost $199 (but often available for less).

Conclusion: If you want cheap, go for the Turnigy and use the module that comes with it. If you want quality and DSM2 compatibility, go for the DX6i.

The DX6i will do anything you want for several years.
Last edited by Daedalus66; Sep 05, 2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:36 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Im actually planning to buy a HobbyZone Champ, it has a dsm2 receiver, bla, blah, blah..
i dont need any rx`s so the price for the dx6i is 150, perhaps 160 shipped.
Now, the turnigy (v2) new is 60 bucks, plus thespektrum module (i believe its 50 bucks the DM9), that will around 110, 120.. perhas a little more and you get a 9ch radio, dsm2 compatible, comes with a rx, glitch and bug free.
Ive seen a lot of vids and reviews and people say that they will recommend this radio for foamies and small helis, not for nitro`s or huge gliders thoguh...
Its programing friendly for newbies, etc...
BUT! Isnt that strange that the price is below 100$$$??? why is that? i havent seen any problem-related thread or vids about mal-functioning of this radio.

Alex
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:17 PM
Suspended Account
Panorama City, CA
Joined Sep 2004
5,566 Posts
Alex,

Two radios are no comparison. Turnigy 9X is an advanced computer radio while Spektru DX6 is a beginner's radio.

Turnigy 9X is unbelievably low priced. If you need extra receivers, it cost only $8.99.
You cannot beat this price. If you need multiple number of receivers, this is the most economical radio.

I bought three of it and they cost less than one major brand 9 ch. radios
I found it satisfactory and I will not hesitate to recommend it.

There is a thread running on this radio section about Turnigy 9X where you can gain more knowledge of this radio.
John Kim is offline Find More Posts by John Kim
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:24 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbazzi View Post
Im actually planning to buy a HobbyZone Champ, it has a dsm2 receiver, bla, blah, blah..
i dont need any rx`s s

Alex
Then why are we wasting this time discussing transmitters, when all you need to do is to buy the RFT version of the Champ, which comes with a perfectly acceptable transmitter?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 05:44 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Because i was planning to buy a j3 cub BNF before from parkzone! BUT! EVERYBODY, and i mean EVERYBODY says the champ is WAY better than the cub and it comes RTF! FOR 30$ CHEAPER (Cub rtf: 120$, champ rtf: 89$) hbz says that the champ`s price is used to get people into the hobby.
So i wanna buy a 6ch or up radio that covers most of the electronic airplanes for a future of buying BNFs!
But i was reading at Rcmodelreviews.com and the reviewer said that the 9x has a lot of downs, so i decided to go for the dx6i.
For a lot of reasons like Daedalus66 said:

* The DX6i has better programming, better quality control, excellent support, a good manual, etc.
* The DX6i is compatible with a wide range of BNF models from Horizon Hobby (DSM2).

and it keeps going...
Old Sep 05, 2010, 06:40 PM
59 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,162 Posts
Sorry. You lost me. According to Horizon Hobby, the Champ RTF (i.e., with transmitter) is $90. So why do you need another transmitter now?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=HBZ4900

I agree, once you go past the Champ and similar micro BNFs you will need a different transmitter (such as the DX6i) but I thought the issue was that you were in a hurry to get flying.

So why not: Get the Champ. Learn to fly. Decide on your next model and get it along with a suitable transmitter?
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:45 PM
Ready-To-Roll
EEUU, FL, Miami Beach
Joined Aug 2010
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus66 View Post
So why do you need another transmitter now?
Well, the dx6i kinda feels better in hands, i can get elevator/throttle mixes (Once you go past around 70% throttle in the champ it is programmed so the elevator pitches up a lil bit as a beginner help to make it climb) beacause where i live we have 3 buildings surrounding us, i need to be precise on my controls..
Besides that, the dx6i has model match, it can find the champ (i dont know how it does that) and program for the radio so ads some needed mixes, and stuff like that..

I gotta say it.. you guys where AWESOMELY HELPFULL! THANKS
Sorry for making some people lose their time, but they didnt for me, at all, everything together kinda helped me