Closed Thread
Old Sep 04, 2010, 03:05 PM
Groundloop World Champion
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Help!
SIG RISER-100 Plans

Yesterday evening I decided to start building my SIG Riser 100 kit. I opened the box and took the softly folded (no creases) plans out so I could roll them.

INCREDIBLE !! The plans are totally blank.... yes... DAMN !! I've never seen or even heard of this before.

So, I do need plans for the RISER 100. Can someone please help ?? The plans don't need to be in great shape ..... I just need them as a reference. I've built gas bags like this before so I might possibly build without the plans except for things like the outline of the horizontal and vertical stabilizer.

Thanks

Old_dude
old_dude is offline Find More Posts by old_dude
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 05:14 PM
have gun will travel
USA, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Apr 2010
331 Posts
call sig they will probably send them free of charge
scott
scottrod31 is online now Find More Posts by scottrod31
Old Sep 05, 2010, 08:16 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
If sig is going to take too long I can draft up the tail feathers and post a drawing here for you.The wing is easy just keep the root and poly break ribs square to the main spars,the rib angle gauges are die cut in ply wood,the one with more angle is for the tips.Rib spaceing is notched into the t/e.Sig tends to be good about fixing things like this but if you want the drawings and some photos just let me know.scottie
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:23 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
Riser tail

Old dude-had some time so here you go.I made some changes on the tail for my E/power version.The vertical fin/rudder have been a weak spot on this bird forever.Forget the ballanced rudder and build the fin as shown,make the rudder from light 1/4" solid sheet,use the 1/4x5/16" stock that would have been the rudder frame for the cross pieces in the fin rather than the 1/8x1/4".On mine I put the spinner where the nose block was so the motor is well forward and used a 2100ma 3cell lipo pack.This set up lets you add some gussets to the stab and not have it tail heavey.The rudder and elevator push rods exit the fuse side 1" aft of the last lightening hole.Add a doubler to the fuse sides thats about 2" long from the back side of the former at the wings T/E and add some 1/4" triangle stock to tie them to the back of the former.If you use the bolt on wing glue the dowel hole punch outs into the sides with epoxy to keep this area stronger,if you ground loop the fuse tends to crack here with out these mods.If you use the band on wing set up cover the bottom of the fuse after you glue in the rear dowel,that way you can get epoxy onto the dowel joints with a brush through the lightening hole in the bottom of the fuse.I've built about 5 of these over the last 20 or so years and may build another next year as my current one is getting a bit tired after 3 years of use.I retire them to the local hobby shop to be given to kids that are just starting out.scottie
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:42 PM
The Lone Blue Plaid Flyer
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
And if everything else in the works fails..............I have a set of plans I can get copied and send to you in a tube. But it will take 2 weeks.

Bob in Seattle
Bob Cook is offline Find More Posts by Bob Cook
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 05, 2010, 12:56 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Thanks much Scottie !! I read the entire "Seattle-New York- Riser Twin Build" thread including your posts.

I really appreciate the insight you've shared from your experience building a number of RISER 100s. When I'm done with a kit, I always seem to have somethings I would do differently if I built another.

I've noted that the RISER seems to end up tail heavy. So, I'll keep that in mind when putting the tail feathers together. Approx 200 watts should be sufficient power (no big motor to counter-balance the tail). It will have spoilers. I'm seriously considering flaps to shorten landings for confined areas.

Thanks again.

Old_dude

OH...BTW Scottie; the rear post of the vertical stab will be a piece of a harder (stronger) wood tied into the fuselage
Last edited by old_dude; Sep 05, 2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:01 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hi Bob,

I really enjoyed reading the "Seattle-New York- Riser Twin Build". I appreciate your offer and will keep it in mind.

Old_dude
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:12 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
I had one of the first E/power ones that came out tail heavy even with the nima cells and the stock tail framework,from this one I learned not to shorten the nose too much.My current one uses an Eflight 15 out runner with a 12x8(I think) apc folder.Ckeck the specs for the Eflite and pick one from hobby city with about the same kv and weight.That way you can put some starch in the tail and not have to dig out the lead.scottie
Old Sep 05, 2010, 01:25 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Hi Scottie,

My current plan is to use an AXI Mini AC-Extreme that I have: (light weight & easy to mount) http://www.modelmotors.cz/index.php?...egorie=EXTREME. I could also use a Hacker B40-8S 4.4:1 .... heavier and way too much power... not sure yet. I'd like to keep the AUW low but there's "tail heavy" to be considered.

How about I shorten the tail moment by 1/2" ???

Old_dude
Old Sep 05, 2010, 04:49 PM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
2,978 Posts
That motor weights about 1/2 of what the 15 does but with it placed right on the first former and the battery right be hind the bird should ballance out fine.On mine I have about 4.5" of space to move the battery forward so the lighter motor should be no worry.
Old Sep 05, 2010, 10:56 PM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Think about putting some cool wing tips on your Riser. I love the look they gave mine. See photo.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 06, 2010, 12:01 AM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cook View Post
Think about putting some cool wing tips on your Riser. I love the look they gave mine. See photo.

Bob in Seattle
Hi Bob,

You bet my wingtips are not going to be stock and I sure noticed how nice your wing tip treatment looks

Old_dude
Old Sep 06, 2010, 11:04 AM
Seattle
Joined Jan 2003
7,586 Posts
Thanks. It may take an extra day or 2 to put them on, but the result is well worth it. You'll wind up with a Riser 112. Smile.

Bob in Seattle
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 07, 2010, 03:47 PM
USA, AZ, Glendale
Joined Jan 2002
1,178 Posts
SIG COMES THRU.... As Always

Thanks to all who responded

I called SIG this morning and explained my situation. She verified my name and address (I'd purchased from them before) and said the plans will be mailed out tomorrow....just as simple as that...no problems, no charge !!

That's what I call good, old-time, customer service

Thanks again guys.

Old_dude
Closed Thread