SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:33 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microflyer65 View Post
This helicopter seems to be overpriced once you add in the cost of a brushless motor setup for it not to be underpowered.

Why would Walkera put a brushed motor in any heli anymore except for the reason they want to sell more motors.

I'll wait for the brushless version to come out.
Brushed motor setups are much cheaper, presumably they chose them here as it allows for the lowest possible price. Looking at this it seems it isnt designed as a powerful 3d machine... seems more of a trainer... so cheap is likely to make it more appealing.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertstalker View Post
Brushed motor setups are much cheaper, presumably they chose them here as it allows for the lowest possible price. Looking at this it seems it isnt designed as a powerful 3d machine... seems more of a trainer... so cheap is likely to make it more appealing.
Yes it is more of a trainer, but it would be a much better trainer with a brushless main motor. I don't think that brushed motor setups are any cheaper than brushless, and if they are not by much. Is it the components or is it more labor intensive that costs more for the brushless setups?

I think the manufacturing is already established for brushless motor components, since they are making millions of them.

Hobbyking sell clones of Trex helicopters for between 10 and 30 dollars.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10811

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11446

Seem like it would not of cost that much more for a brushless motor setup, maybe 15.00 dollars more between motor and esc.

Maybe the money was spent on the 3 axis gyro for the flybarless setup.
Microflyer65 is offline Find More Posts by Microflyer65
Old Dec 18, 2010, 05:14 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,798 Posts
Quote:
Yes it is more of a trainer, but it would be a much better trainer with a brushless main motor. I don't think that brushed motor setups are any cheaper than brushless, and if they are not by much. Is it the components or is it more labor intensive that costs more for the brushless setups?

I think the manufacturing is already established for brushless motor components, since they are making millions of them.

Seem like it would not of cost that much more for a brushless motor setup, maybe 15.00 dollars more between motor and esc.

More parts, more assembly, more testing, fewer replacements needed. Thus less money in spare parts and higher manufacturing costs meaning a higher initial price.

But I suspect its mainly because they have a warehouse full of the motors that they want to get rid of.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:58 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:

This is a CP trainer for $141 shipped RTF. If you want a Brushless CP helicopter from Waklera, then buy the V450D01...or even get a Honeybee King4.

I have over 100 flights on my brushed Honeybee with no problesm, I see no need to go to brushless for what it is.
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:58 PM
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
This is a CP trainer for $141 shipped RTF. If you want a Brushless CP helicopter from Waklera, then buy the V450D01...or even get a Honeybee King4.

I have over 100 flights on my brushed Honeybee with no problesm, I see no need to go to brushless for what it is.
I see every need to go brushless, more power better efficiency. I doubt you claim of having 100 flights on a brushed motor, and if you did by some miracle you need to change your motor.

A brushed motor on a heli this size is stupid and I stand by that.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 08:25 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
I see every need to go brushless, more power better efficiency. I doubt you claim of having 100 flights on a brushed motor, and if you did by some miracle you need to change your motor.

A brushed motor on a heli this size is stupid and I stand by that.
So then go get a V450D01 or a King V4.
Old Dec 21, 2010, 09:45 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2005
2,360 Posts
microflyer, brushed set ups work just fine for some applications, they have been around a long long time, and I can vouch for 100 flights off a brushed motor as well.

These aren't 4#3B main motors you know what I mean?
trust416 is offline Find More Posts by trust416
Old Dec 21, 2010, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2010
52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trust416 View Post
microflyer, brushed set ups work just fine for some applications, they have been around a long long time, and I can vouch for 100 flights off a brushed motor as well.

These aren't 4#3B main motors you know what I mean?
I was mistaken to judge brushed motors to harshly, I guess they still have there place in new heli's, and gives you the option to upgrade if you want.
Old Dec 28, 2010, 02:39 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,410 Posts
The price is attractive. I have 250s and FM but they are not FBL. Before adding one to the summer fleet, I wonder what sort of spares I would need.

Thanks.
Wasp09 is online now Find More Posts by Wasp09
Old Dec 30, 2010, 04:15 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,410 Posts
I bought one in Hong Kong today to save shipping and stock up for next summer.

It is big and I may need to dissemble it to fit into my suitcase. It is definitely too big for indoor flying.

The RX-2614V has regular servo outputs and also a rud mixing adj. pot. I probably can transfer it to a smaller regular CP, say wiith BL main and pitched tail, if I need something in winter. I won't worry too much about the brushed main.

Just learn that the TX-2603 should work with 4CH RX too. That would be useful in flying my FBL 4#6.

It comes with a so called pit gauge. It is a piece of solid metal in a T shape. I wonder if anybody knows how to make use of it to set the pitch.

Thanks.
Last edited by Wasp09; Dec 30, 2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 07:39 PM
Buy, Mod, Fly, Sell, Repeat
United States, SC
Joined Apr 2008
2,054 Posts
I've flown the V200D01 and the Madhawk 300's. I'm thinking about this V400D02. Would this be a good next step?
JHawk19 is online now Find More Posts by JHawk19
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
I just got one and it is really nice (though i've only hovered it through a pack). The motor has adequate power and the tail holds great.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:42 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post

I am not that lucky in having free shipping and discounts. I live in Canada.

It is still a good price to carry it back from Hong Kong at $150.

I guess Walkera put brush motors there to downgrade the product to fit the price. Otherwise it has to be priced a lot higher. This is almost the cheapest RTF CP Walkera offers.

I don't mind having the brushed motors when it uses a standalone ESC. I have many BL ESC 's and probably some big enough BL motors back at home. It does not cost much in case I have to go BL.

I am still 10 days away from trying it out at home though.

Have fun.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 12:16 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasp09 View Post
I am not that lucky in having free shipping and discounts. I live in Canada.

It is still a good price to carry it back from Hong Kong at $150.

I guess Walkera put brush motors there to downgrade the product to fit the price. Otherwise it has to be priced a lot higher. This is almost the cheapest RTF CP Walkera offers.

I don't mind having the brushed motors when it uses a standalone ESC. I have many BL ESC 's and probably some big enough BL motors back at home. It does not cost much in case I have to go BL.

I am still 10 days away from trying it out at home though.

Have fun.
Here a brushless main mod for $69.00 WWW. RTF-HELI.COM
They have BL motor/esc combo Vronny
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:33 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2009
3,410 Posts
Any idea on what head speed the stock v400d02 would be hovering at? Some blades are only specified for 2400 rpm max. Would those be good enough?

Thanks.