HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:34 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
New Product
EP Buddy Safe ParaBoard Coming Soon – Charge multiple batteries at the same time

EP Buddy ParaBoard – Charge multiple batteries at the same time, save your time on battery charging process.

www.epbuddy.com
http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

COMING SOON – Safe ParaBoard
A series of our Safe ParaBoards have been under development and tests for more than two months. Presently the product is in the production line and will be launched early 2012 at an affordable price.

New features of the “Safe ParaBoard”:
Heavy duty PCB holds up 40A continuous current.
Safety resetting “Multifuse” prevents damages to charger and batteries.
Reverse polarity fuses protect the main charge circuit and batteries.
Multiple ParaBoards can be connected in tandem to charge more batteries.
LCD indicates the status of charge current.
Support the majority of high power chargers.

And most important, AFFORDABLE!

The following photo shows a couple of new Safe ParaBoard engineering samples. The final product has some minor changes to the engineering samples.

Significantly save your time on battery charge processes!
Charge multiple lithium batteries at the same time.

ParaBoard is designed and developed by EP Buddy, an Ohio based RC hobby company. This device is to be used with a balance charger to simultaneously charge multiple lithium batteries in parallel. By this method you can significantly save time on battery charge process.

The principle and practices of parallel charging lithium batteries have been well discussed in the forums on RC Groups. This method has been proved to be a safe and efficient way to charge LiPo batteries, and is being widely accepted by more and more RC hobbiests all over the world.

Parallel charge can save your time significantly. If you charge four batteries at the same time, the charge current is four times of that you used for a single pack, and you need only approximately 1/4 of the charge time to charge every battery separately. Similarly, if you charge six batteries at the same time, the charge current is six times and time is only 1/6.

Presently we have four different models:
ParaBoard - XH Type: used for batteries with JST-XH balance connectors, such as Align, Blue, E-flight, Turnigy.
ParaBoard - TP Type: used for batteries with Thunder Power balance connectors, such as Flight Power and Thunder Power.
ParaBoard - HP Type: used for batteries with Hyperion balance connectors, such as Hyperion and Polyquest.
ParaBoard - EH Type: used for batteries with Kokam balance connectors, such as Graupner and Kokam.

Each board has six set balance ports, from 2S-6S (except for the HP type that does not have 5S ports), and six T-plugs. Since these ports and connectors are arranged in parallel, a T-plug and a balance port can be randomly matched for battery charge. These ParaBoards can be used for charging up to six batteries at the same time.

ParaBoard is made of selected high quality components. The PCB is made of two ounce copper and the main power circuit is heavily tinned to allow the use of high current. ParaBoard products have been fully tested under 20 A continuous current, and is safe to be load at 30A for a short time (10 - 30 minutes).

New 30A ParaBoards, with EC3, EC5, XT60, and T-plug connectors, are available.

epbuddy is offline Find More Posts by epbuddy
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epbuddy; Dec 16, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:35 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
reserved

ParaBoard and Parallel Charge FAQ
1. Is parallel charge of multiple lithium batteries safe?
It is as safe (or dangerous) as charge a single lithium battery pack as long as one is careful to insure that all balancing leads and connectors are working properly. There were many multiple cell packs with cells assembled in parallel to achieve a higher capacity, such as a 3S2P pack. This was very common when it was difficult to manufacture high capacity cells a couple of years ago. This 3S2P pack can be regarded as two 3S batteries arranged in parallel. To charge your multiple batteries in parallel with ParaBoard is no difference than charge the 3S2P pack in principle.

2. How many batteries can be charged at the same time with a ParaBoard?
With a ParaBoard you can charge up to six batteries. Certainly you can use it for a single pack.

3. What chemical type batteries can be charged and balanced in parallel? Can I charge nickel batteries with your ParaBoard?
You can use ParaBoard for lithium and Pb-acid batteries, but not for nickel batteries, such as NiMH and NiCd.

4. What voltage and rate should I set for parallel charge?
When you charge multiple packs in parallel, it is like to charge a single large capacity pack. The cut off voltage remains the same as that of your single pack. Since the capacity is the sum of all your batteries, you can increase charge rate according to the total capacity.
For example, if you charge a 3S (11.1 V) 2200 mAh LiPo battery at 1C, the charge parameters you set should be 3S (terminated at 12.6 V) and 2.2 A. If you charge four of these packs in parallel, the parameters should still be 3S but at 8.8 A (2.2 A × 4 = 8.8 A). For six of these packs, they sould be 3S and 13.2 A (2.2 A × 6 = 13.2 A).
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epbuddy; Sep 07, 2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Revised according to Charles' suggestion. Thank you!
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:36 AM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Reserved for general questions
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 10:16 AM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
How can one get a patent on a product who's idea and application has already been done by others for years? There are many members here on RC groups who have made extremely similar parallel charging boards for a rather long time,one examplehttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...96&postcount=1. There are many others who have applied the same principals but elected to use parallel wire leads instead of a PCB.

Quote:
It is as safe (or dangerous) as charge a single lithium battery pack. There were many multiple cell packs with cells assembled in parallel to achieve a higher capacity, such as a 3S2P pack. This was very common when it was difficult to manufacture high capacity cells a couple of years ago.
This statement is not entirely accurate. It is reasonable safe as long as one is careful to insure that all balancing leads and connectors are working properly however there are many times when this is not the case. When it was common to use multi cells in parallell to increase capacity (more like 5 years or long ago) they were hard wired in paralle and during that time period most did not have balancing leads as balancers were not even
available.

There is only one Safe Parallel charging adapter that I am aware of and even its' design principal was first developed by a member here.

Here is another possible Patent infrigment
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301684

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Last edited by everydayflyer; Sep 04, 2010 at 12:58 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 12:44 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Charles, thank you very much for your comments. I'd say I have learned a lot from your posts. I really admire your great comments, criticisms, reviews, suggestions, and works on the RC hobbies

There are many different patents in this country. Even a new cloth design can be patented, which is applicable as a "Design Patent".
Most inventions are based on existing products. What we do is to make a further step that no one has done yet. There are many parallel charge boards and cables in the market, and we sell them too. However, no one has put all different balance plugs in a single board before.
I will make changes to our statement on parallel charge according to your suggestions. Thank you!

Dale
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epbuddy; Sep 04, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:04 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
Quote:
However, no one has put all different balance plugs in a single board before.
All as in 2-X cell of all available connector types? Yours seem to be connector specific such as JST-Xh or Thunder Power or

From your post
Quote:
Presently we have four different models:
ParaBoard - XH Type: used for batteries with JST-XH balance connectors, such as Align, Blue, E-flight, Turnigy.
ParaBoard - TP Type: used for batteries with Thunder Power balance connectors, such as Flight Power and Thunder Power.
ParaBoard - HP Type: used for batteries with Hyperion balance connectors, such as Hyperion and Polyquest.
ParaBoard - EH Type: used for batteries with Kokam balance connectors, such as Graupner and Kokam.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:13 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
Here is another possible Patent infrigment
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1301684

Charles
That is why we published the product much earlier than our schedule.
Our product manuals, commercials are still under preparation. We were planning to let everybody know around the middle of this month.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 01:15 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer View Post
All as in 2-X cell of all available connector types? Yours seem to be connector specific such as JST-Xh or Thunder Power or

From your post

Charles
I will post the photos of HP and EH boards soon.
Site Sponsor
Last edited by epbuddy; Sep 04, 2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:12 PM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
Dale, great looking product, I will certainly be picking one up when they are made available!

Would it be possible to make some of the balance connector harnesses available with an 8S connector on the charger side (with open spots on the 7S and 8S position) so that it can plug directly into the 208B? I know a 6S connector can be plugged in with some minor modification, but I don't really care to do that, and plugging this into the 6S position on the balance board would make it somewhat cumbersome to take to the field. Just a thought!
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320
Old Sep 04, 2010, 02:46 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ320 View Post
Dale, great looking product, I will certainly be picking one up when they are made available!

Would it be possible to make some of the balance connector harnesses available with an 8S connector on the charger side (with open spots on the 7S and 8S position) so that it can plug directly into the 208B? I know a 6S connector can be plugged in with some minor modification, but I don't really care to do that, and plugging this into the 6S position on the balance board would make it somewhat cumbersome to take to the field. Just a thought!
Eric: thank you for your supports from the beginning when we started our business.
We have already ordered some optional 8S and 10S cables for these boards. They are made of 22 gauge soft silicone wires. It will be very easy for iCharger owners to use these boards.

Connector adaptors for common main power cables are also available, including JST, XT60, EC3, and Traxxas as shown in the following photo:
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:34 PM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2005
43 Posts
Nice looking board but I agree with everydayflyer in that I don't see anything unique that makes it patentable. Photo below of one of the many parallel charge boards that Mark (mrforsyth) made me last year that works with my 3S and 4S packs and 3010B at full 30 amps.

Since he made these long ago and was clearly well before your product announcement, perhaps you will owe him royalties?
gbancrof is offline Find More Posts by gbancrof
Last edited by gbancrof; Jun 30, 2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2010, 07:53 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Looks GREAT! I hold 5 patents for circuit board routing "techniques" and many people probably did what I patented .... but I went through the legal process. These were for the company I worked for and in the grand scheme of things on a corporate level patents are traded and bartered all the time.

Quick question .... Are they REAL Dean's connectors? Are the adapters REAL Traxxas HCCs and REAL EC-3s?

Good luck with your product line!!!

Bob

http://rcsales.shutterfly.com
Custom charging / balancing rigs made to order.
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:12 PM
Columbus, OH
Joined Dec 2009
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbancrof View Post
Nice looking board but I agree with everydayflyer in that I don't see anything unique that makes it patentable. Photo below of one of the many parallel charge boards that Mark (mrforsyth) made me last year that works with my 3S and 4S packs and 3010B at full 30 amps.

Since he made these long ago and was clearly well before your product announcement, perhaps you will owe him royalties?
There are two major patents: utility patent and design patent. What we have tried to patent is not the general ideal of parallel charge, but the particular design of our product. As I mentioned in an early post, even a design of cloth can be patented.

"A US design patent covers the ornamental design for an object having practical utility. An object with a design that is substantially similar to the design claimed in a design patent cannot be made, used, copied or imported into the United States. The copy does not have to be exact for the patent to be infringed. It only has to be substantially similar." from Wikipedia, Design Patent.

Initially we were not going to apply for a patent. We have spent more than half a year to get the product developed and manufactured. When it is ready for the market, we almost lost our right to sell these boards in this country because of some company's bad practice in the Far East. The only way we can get the product back is through patent protection. I have never imaged that this simple product would be so complicated It is a long story.

Anyway, I am very happy we can get our product very soon. And I also appreciate the work of those geniuses in RC Groups who have proposed the ideal and developed products for parallel charge.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2010, 09:33 PM
USA, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jun 2005
43 Posts
It's unfortunate that the Asian factories will sell to anyone. I wish you luck but if vendors like Spektrum can't stop clone receivers I expect we'll see nearly identical boards at resellers like HobbyKing before too long. Spektrum (owned by Horizon Hobby) has been largely ineffective in preventing reverse engineering of their products.

Hopefully you won't spend all of your profits preventing others from selling similar boards.

Best of luck in your endeavor.
gbancrof is offline Find More Posts by gbancrof
Old Sep 05, 2010, 09:28 AM
Knoxville, TN
Joined Dec 2005
1,502 Posts
I guess I don't understand all the concern over the patent. Isn't it up to the US Patent Office to decide what is and is not eligible to be patented? Regardless if 500 manufacturers made a product first, if they issue a patent to #501 because he's the first to apply, and they decide the design or technology is valid, #501 gets the patent. I for one applaud any US vendor attempting to protect their design from both domestic and international cloning. I'm not sure how much Horizon put into defending their technology, but Deans was somewhat successful in defending their patent, even abroad. They didn't totally eradicate clones of their connector, but they're sure harder to find than they used to be.

I'm not trying to dictate the direction of the conversation, I just feel like we should discuss the product as it applies to our hobby and leave patents up to the government and patent lawyers. It's not like anything we say is going to affect the issuance, or not, of a US Patent.

So, patent discussion aside, it looks like a good product that at the very least will tidy up my parallel charging (currently use separate spider harnesses for main leads and 2S-4S balance harnesses). One nifty little board will certainly make trips to the field much easier. And knowing my experience with Dale, I don't need a review of it before I buy, I trust his word it's made with quality parts and workmanship.
EricJ320 is offline Find More Posts by EricJ320